FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Adobe Reader 9.0

Tony The Tiger
I am getting a "This document enables Reader capabilities that are no longer enabled in this Reader version." message when I open up certain IRS forms. When I acknowledge this message I get a subsequent message that says "Please Note: You cannot save a completed copy of this form on your computer. If you would like a copy for your records, please fill it in and print it." This is a nightmare. I am unable to do my taxes in a single sitting. I need to be able to store info as I go along. What is happening and what can I do. It seems like I need to enable some sort of functionality.[/b]
Tony The Tiger
It turns out that on my 2007 Hewlett Packard laptop with Adobe Reader 9.0 I get errors in prior year forms such as 2004 form 1045 downloaded from IRS.gov. They do not accept input to be stored. However, when I got on my 2003 Dell laptop that I don't keep updated with the latest software and tried to open the same files with Reader 8.0, everything works fine. It is odd that 9.0 can not open all files at IRS.gov with full functionality.
David_Pardy
Thanks for the information, I was wondering if I should update the work computers to 9.0.

I think I'll leave it for a bit longer.
Da Rossa
Why are you using Adobe Reader 9.0 in the first place? Get Foxit Reader to view PDFs. If you're editing or managing them, then use Adobe Acrobat 9.0. Not the standalone reader, it's bloated and hogs.
Tony The Tiger
Does this other software allow you to input into .pdf documents that were created several years ago?
Da Rossa
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Does this other software allow you to input into .pdf documents that were created several years ago?

as far as I know, no, it's only a reader. And, as a reader, it's way better than Adobe reader. But for PDF editing go to Acrobat.
Tony The Tiger
Da Rossa wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

as far as I know, no, it's only a reader. And, as a reader, it's way better than Adobe reader. But for PDF editing go to Acrobat.

My problem is that I need software that opens a .pdf and allows me to input my tax information and save it in stages. Then when I am done, I can save the final version of my work for my permanent financial record. Being able to read .pdfs is not a problem. Even 9.0 opens the files. It just gives me an error stating that the document contains features no longer compatible with the new version of Reader. Thus, I can not use any of the features to input data onto the pre-2008 IRS tax forms in a format that can be saved. It is the ability to save data that is important.
Da Rossa
Normally, which program do you use to edit your records and apply those tax information to it? Because you can do the old way then convert to PDF using Acrobat.
Tony The Tiger
Da Rossa wrote:
Normally, which program do you use to edit your records and apply those tax information to it? Because you can do the old way then convert to PDF using Acrobat.
I usually, figure everything out over the course of a week or two with the need to save my work in stages daily if not more often than that. I use Microsoft Excel, Intuit Quicken and Acrobat Reader. I have about five carry overs and I file about a dozen forms and schedules each year. I enter data into the proper pdf files that I down load from the IRS website. If I just needed to be able to write to PDFs after an entry session, I could do that because my scanner software came with a pdf-writer. I truly need to be able to save and re-edit at a later time.
Da Rossa
Quote:
I usually, figure everything out over the course of a week or two with the need to save my work in stages daily if not more often than that. I use Microsoft Excel, Intuit Quicken and Acrobat Reader. I have about five carry overs and I file about a dozen forms and schedules each year. I enter data into the proper pdf files that I down load from the IRS website. If I just needed to be able to write to PDFs after an entry session, I could do that because my scanner software came with a pdf-writer. I truly need to be able to save and re-edit at a later time.
Well, first and unfortunately, I know nothing about Intuit Quicken.. so I don't know how it interacts with PDFs.

Quote:
My problem is that I need software that opens a .pdf and allows me to input my tax information and save it in stages. Then when I am done, I can save the final version of my work for my permanent financial record.
Look, do you need to present the output files to someone, like in a data show or lecture? If not, then I believe that there is no reason for you to go beyond Excel. You can save your data in .xlsx or .xls files, protect them if necessary, and, when you close the period record, you can convert them to PDFs. Also, I don't believe there is a reason for you to dump the .xls files afterwards, since they're easier to be edited. Then, when you close, you use Adobe Acrobat to convert them to PDF.

Unfortunately I can't tell you if Acrobat will open very old PDF files for edition; also, I know pretty nothing about PDF forms Sad

But think about it: focus on Excel and Intuit Quicken if necessary (I don't know it).
Tony The Tiger
Quote:
Quote:
My problem is that I need software that opens a .pdf and allows me to input my tax information and save it in stages. Then when I am done, I can save the final version of my work for my permanent financial record.
Look, do you need to present the output files to someone, like in a data show or lecture?

I have a lot of complicated stuff. I have to be prepared for an audit. Thus, I have to submit the info and have it in a format that I could defend upon formal presentation under duress. I want everything to be cleanly laid out as I can easily do on official IRS publications and forms.
Da Rossa
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Look, do you need to present the output files to someone, like in a data show or lecture?

I have a lot of complicated stuff. I have to be prepared for an audit. Thus, I have to submit the info and have it in a format that I could defend upon formal presentation under duress. I want everything to be cleanly laid out as I can easily do on official IRS publications and forms.

Well, if you're under duress or investigation, then the police is gonna get a warrant for your computer, and there the technicians will see your files. As far as I know, The law does not force you to have the files in a "clean" format. A xls file can be as convincing as a PDF, or am I wrong?

Also, let's say you're presenting your data formally. Still there is no problem about datashowing your xls spreadsheet, I believe. If in doubt, find out how the IRS prefer your data to be laid like.
Tony The Tiger
Da Rossa wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, if you're under duress or investigation, then the police is gonna get a warrant for your computer, and there the technicians will see your files. As far as I know, The law does not force you to have the files in a "clean" format. A xls file can be as convincing as a PDF, or am I wrong?

Also, let's say you're presenting your data formally. Still there is no problem about datashowing your xls spreadsheet, I believe. If in doubt, find out how the IRS prefer your data to be laid like.

I have never been audited. Do they really start with a subpoena of your computer? I thought they started by asking you questions and stuff to see if your figures check out.
Da Rossa
Don't know, it's gonna depend on the case. You're not under any illegal activity, are you? Even though, they'd need the probable cause for subpoening your goods. First, they (police) will normally ask you gently to handle your data. If you don't, it will sound weird, then they will build up a small case just to make the probable cause valid, then ask a judge for a warrant. But this is another discussion.

I guess you're not performing anything illegal, but something that they could think it is. Therefore you could first: talk yo your lawyer, then call the IRS to ask, if suitable, how they want your data to be presented.
Tony The Tiger
Da Rossa wrote:
Don't know, it's gonna depend on the case. You're not under any illegal activity, are you?

Dude, I am talking about a regular audit. I am not talking about criminal procedings. I just have all kinds of carryovers (net operating loss, charitable contributions, foreign tax credits, capital gains, interest expenses, etc.) I just have lots and lots of forms that I need to be prepared to present and it takes days (even weeks to gather the data). I need to be able to input parts of it at a time.
Da Rossa
So your problem is, in the first place, about organisation.
Again: you should prefer Excel. Do all your job in it and/or in your Intuit Quicken. Have it arranged in a organised filename scheme. Leave the data in .xls files until you finish your gathering. This shall be the most difficult part.

Then, you use Acrobat to batch convert all your files to .pdf, which is gonna preserv the original filenames, only changing the extension to pdf, so your organisation work will not have been in vain.

WHEN you feel it's necessary to input data to an OLD document, which has been already converted to PDF, you have two options:

• Edit that particular .xls file in Excel, which you should not have deleted after the batch convert, then manually convert again to PDF using Acrobat to get an updated version of the document;
  • Find out how to directly input data in a PDF file in Acrobat, which I unfortunately don't know how to do, but I know it's possible.