FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Just Got New PC, Cost £3,000

g7clan
I had this custom made from a website,

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000
Windows Vista™ Ultimate 64 bit Edition
Intel Core i7 - 940 (2.93GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
ASUS® Rampage || Extreme: DDR3
12GB CORSAIR XMS3 1600MHz
2x nVidia Geforce GTX 295 1792MB SLI
coreymanshack
g7clan wrote:

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000

Nice Machine, why didn't you just order the parts and put it together yourself?
g7clan
Well to be honest i don't think i know enough to build a pc from scatch.
i wanted to make sure everything would work so i didn't have to mess around reading up and stuff.

thanks for your reply. Smile
coreymanshack
g7clan wrote:
Well to be honest i don't think i know enough to build a pc from scatch.
i wanted to make sure everything would work so i didn't have to mess around reading up and stuff.

thanks for your reply. Smile

Yea, it would've been a good bit cheaper.
mOrpheuS
g7clan wrote:

Whatever for ? Neutral
ForceRun
Here a good little guide for the rest of you that I found on building your first system. http://lifehacker.com/5151369/the-first+timers-guide-to-building-a-computer-from-scratch
weableandbob
Ya, it would have been cheaper putting it together yourself, and it really isn't that hard (if teenagers can do it, you should be able to =P)
william
Agreed about the building, but that is an insane system nonetheless. I do, however, hope you have a good monitor (WQXGA+, 2560x1600) to match that SLI setup, because the GTX 295 cards have managed to slide ahead of the 4870 X2 from ATI, and with two of them, any game will run like a dream at 2560x1600 (save a few poorly coded ones). Not so sure about 12 GB of RAM, though. No game needs that much and I can only imagine using that much with many parallel processes or some 3D modeling. Oh, and also, do you plan on overclocking? Cool

Anyhow, a great system. Have fun with it! Very Happy .
coreymanshack
william wrote:
Agreed about the building, but that is an insane system nonetheless. I do, however, hope you have a good monitor (WQXGA+, 2560x1600) to match that SLI setup, because the GTX 295 cards have managed to slide ahead of the 4870 X2 from ATI, and with two of them, any game will run like a dream at 2560x1600 (save a few poorly coded ones). Not so sure about 12 GB of RAM, though. No game needs that much and I can only imagine using that much with many parallel processes or some 3D modeling. Oh, and also, do you plan on overclocking? Cool

lol why would you need to overclock a system like that.
I'm still running a core 2 duo e6750 with 2gb ddr3 ram and a 8600 GT twin turbo all msi pc and it's enough for me, i don't want to upgrade atm.
william
coreymanshack wrote:
william wrote:

I'm still running a core 2 duo e6750 with 2gb ddr3 ram and a 8600 GT twin turbo all msi pc and it's enough for me, i don't want to upgrade atm.

Simple, that thing has quite a bit more untapped power just begging to be utilized. Wink Obviously you don't need to overclock, but if you've got such a powerful system with some extra portential, why not?
coreymanshack
william wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
william wrote:

Simple, that thing has quite a bit more untapped power just begging to be utilized. Wink Obviously you don't need to overclock, but if you've got such a powerful system with some extra portential, why not?

It shortens the life of your components. Heat destroys electronic pieces. It doesn't matter if you have a water cooler, if clock speeds are running faster than they are specced to run at, internal temps are still really hot. The cooler only takes heat away from the surface of the component.
Parkour_Jarrod
coreymanshack wrote:
william wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
william wrote:

It shortens the life of your components. Heat destroys electronic pieces. It doesn't matter if you have a water cooler, if clock speeds are running faster than they are specced to run at, internal temps are still really hot. The cooler only takes heat away from the surface of the component.

unless you got a freon cooling system or nitrogen cooling system (about $800) is cools internally aswell because of the -90 degrees Celsius temps
william
coreymanshack wrote:
william wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
william wrote:

Yeah, you are right about shortening the life of components. I would never go too far (unless breaking records), but a modest overclock (maybe another 300 MHz or so) isn't going to catastrophically drop lifespan, especially if the voltage is unchanged. But, to each their own. Very Happy
atleetalie
Nice PC, quite a lot of money, isn't it? But tell me, is the iCore really that good, or can't you see the diffrence with a quadcore?
titus1972
Nice rig no question and here is mine...What is the difference between and quadcore chip like the q6600 for example and the Intel Core i7. Now i don't mean the exact gigahertz difference I mean my q6600 is fairly new tech what can this i7 chip have over the q6600 is the new technology in the i7 really any better than the q6600 or 6700 and how?
g7clan
At the moment i do not plan to overclock, the shear power of this thing is amazing.

i brought this pc for mainly two things;
Video-editing/3D modeling
Playing Games

i did look on wikipedia.com once to compare the intel processors, can't remember it though.
i have an oldish pc running quadcore 2.66 Q9400, and that's fast.
coreymanshack
titus1972 wrote:
Nice rig no question and here is mine...What is the difference between and quadcore chip like the q6600 for example and the Intel Core i7. Now i don't mean the exact gigahertz difference I mean my q6600 is fairly new tech what can this i7 chip have over the q6600 is the new technology in the i7 really any better than the q6600 or 6700 and how?

go to tomshardware.com and look at the architecture of each, core i7 definatley trumps any predescesor.
g7clan
Yeah i7 beats quad core, so fast this pc!

I cant play any game flat out,

Cod4 1680x1050 on highest 2xAA 375fps
Cod5 1680x1050 on highest 2xAA 250fps
Left4Dead 1680x1050 on hightest 250fps
FarCry2 1680x1050 on highest 250fps
F.E.A.R 2 1680X1050 on highest 225fps
Crysis 1680x1050 on highest 2xAA 90fps
mOrpheuS
g7clan wrote:

You mean to say you're limiting that machine with a 1680x1050 screen ? Shocked
That resolution indicates a 22" WSXGA+ monitor.
And that - does not go well with the rest of your system.

g7clan wrote:
Playing Games

Both of which will be much better with a bigger monitor.
william
mOrpheuS wrote:
g7clan wrote:

g7clan wrote:
Playing Games

I couldn't agree more. I game at 1680x1050 on X600 midrange/performance cards. You have one of the fastest (don't quite recall how it compares to Quad CrossfireX) graphics card setups available, and you're gaming on such a low resolution? You're getting well over 60 fps in those games, and all those extra frames are being wasted because most likely your monitor is 60 Hz. The only benefit is that if there's a sudden drop in framerate, you're less likely to notice a slowdown. With a computer that powerful, I would say even WUXGA+ (1920x1200) isn't enough. To get the best experience from that, you really need a WQXGA+ screen (2560x1600).

Really though, the difference will be night and day. Don't forget, the monitor is what you look at all the time. No gaming machine is complete without a decent monitor. Cool
g7clan
william wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
g7clan wrote:

g7clan wrote:
Playing Games

I couldn't agree more. I game at 1680x1050 on X600 midrange/performance cards. You have one of the fastest (don't quite recall how it compares to Quad CrossfireX) graphics card setups available, and you're gaming on such a low resolution? You're getting well over 60 fps in those games, and all those extra frames are being wasted because most likely your monitor is 60 Hz. The only benefit is that if there's a sudden drop in framerate, you're less likely to notice a slowdown. With a computer that powerful, I would say even WUXGA+ (1920x1200) isn't enough. To get the best experience from that, you really need a WQXGA+ screen (2560x1600).

Really though, the difference will be night and day. Don't forget, the monitor is what you look at all the time. No gaming machine is complete without a decent monitor. Cool

Yeah I know this monitor isn't up to the standards of my PC, I didn't buy this monitor with my new PC. I got it a while back with my old system, I was thinking of getting a new one seeing as my new pc really does (as you both said) need one.

When i was writing this reply i decided to look up about gaming monitors, with your advice im gona buy a 30" 2ms max res 2560x1600 montior. Smile

Thanks for your advice on this.
ForceRun
Back to the overclocking, if you buy good quality components, there is no reason to not overclock. Like my CPU is protected pretty well from burning out, as it will throttle down then shutdown if it is having issues. The Intel processors have huge overclock capability, same with most of the recent AMDs. I have an Evga Nvidia Video Card which has a lifetime warranty, which includes overclocking and over-volting. RAM usually is the easiest to burn out, but they all have lifttime warrenties, plus it is super cheap right now. Other then saving power, overclocking is a great idea. You get more speed and power at no or little cost (upgrading your cooling).
coreymanshack
ForceRun wrote:
Back to the overclocking, if you buy good quality components, there is no reason to not overclock. Like my CPU is protected pretty well from burning out, as it will throttle down then shutdown if it is having issues. The Intel processors have huge overclock capability, same with most of the recent AMDs. I have an Evga Nvidia Video Card which has a lifetime warranty, which includes overclocking and over-volting. RAM usually is the easiest to burn out, but they all have lifttime warrenties, plus it is super cheap right now. Other then saving power, overclocking is a great idea. You get more speed and power at no or little cost (upgrading your cooling).

little cost eh? Water cooling could cost over $300.
william
@g7clan

Just curious, what WQXGA+ monitor has a response time of 2ms? I've seen 5ms at the lowest, but never 2ms. 2ms at such a resolution would be amazing. Very Happy

Oh, also, you don't need water cooling to overclock. A good air cooled system will do the job just fine. I would never use the stock fans, anyway, so enhanced cooling is always there. Plus, some of the recent Intel chips I've seen come with a cooling system where a few hundred megahertz can easily be added. Massive temperature gains don't occur until you mess with the voltage anyway.
ForceRun
coreymanshack wrote:
ForceRun wrote:

little cost eh? Water cooling could cost over $300.

It is just like anything else. You can get a highend water cooling setup. Most gamers just do cheap water cooling $75-$150 if they do end up water cooling. From what I have seen by far most gamers just do highend air cooling, like the Zalman 7900 $40-60. Which is very low cost, and can really add value to your system.

For example: I have the Intel Conroe 2.6 E6750 or the like, and have invested in a Zalman to overclock it to 3.5Gz. So I get a sweet 40% boost in processing power. And it has been running solid for 2 years now.

I'm not bashing your reasoning, I'm just letting people know what the real score is with overclocking. Back in the PIII days, in 2000, yes overclocking was much more of a black art. It was risky, the hardware was not built for it, and much of it required hard-modding or physically changing the hardware. But it is 2009, most hardware is built to be overclocked, it is much easier, the software in most cases is provided by the manufacture. And in most cases overclocking is fully covered in the warranty, so there is nothing to lose.

Intel is focus so much on power-saving that they ship their processors turned way down. The new Core i7 can easily be overclocked to 4Ghz on air out of the box. Because they are built to run at that speed, they have their stock speeds turn down to save-power.
Jean-Clod
Like william I never saw any WQXGA+ monitor with a response time under 5ms. Maybe there will be in the next few years? sounds interesting!
(Oh and we have the same graphic card [X600] ! Laughing )

Back to topic, I think overclocking isn't really useful, even if it is very , simple, fast and efficient to do on nowadays' high-end hardware.
However, it just isn't useful! With such specs, plusminus 300 mhz won't change anything Twisted Evil

If the software g7clan intends to use is very resource-intensive, then why not overclock? I don't know anything about 3D modelling, so correct me if I'm wrong Question

By the way, congrats g7clan, and have fun with this awesome PC! Very Happy
ForceRun
The x600 is an old one. Still runs fine for you? I recode a lot of video, and when I overclock the process take much less time.
Jean-Clod
It IS old, (the whole PC is 5 years old Rolling Eyes ) but it however runs very well everything I need.
With a bit of overclock, video encoding is just a bit slower than in my Laptop (GeForce 7400 mobile + CoreDuo)

I admit I can't run Vista on it, I didn't even test it Laughing But as an XP Media center, plugged in LCD 38", the only problem I get is BSOD, 3 times, each of which was a problem with an ATI Driver file..

(The driver runs fine? You use Vista or XP?)
william
Jean-Clod wrote:
Like william I never saw any WQXGA+ monitor with a response time under 5ms. Maybe there will be in the next few years? sounds interesting!
(Oh and we have the same graphic card [X600] ! Laughing )

Sorry, I was using the X as a variable. Embarassed I have a 7600 GT and an 8600 GT (along with a number of other slower cards). Both are decent cards, fine for casual gaming, perfect for multimedia. Actually, the 8600 will run just about anything at medium settings, or better.
Jean-Clod
Tssk what a shame! I actually was very amazed that such an old graphic card could be found nowadays Laughing

Well, I use my notebook to play, (7400), and as I prefer old games (2006-2007, You know Laughing ), with a bit of overclock it's just fine with everything set to high Very Happy
g7clan
Jean-Clod wrote:
By the way, congrats g7clan, and have fun with this awesome PC! Very Happy

Thank you Smile PC is working like a dream!

p.s. anyone play call of duty4 on pc?
GateSeven are recruiting members
goto www.gate7.co.cc
keane
g7clan wrote:

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000

Whoa! That's one powerful PC!!! And that's really an expensive one LOL... Where will you be using it for?
g7clan
keane wrote:
g7clan wrote:

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000

Whoa! That's one powerful PC!!! And that's really an expensive one LOL... Where will you be using it for?

xD yeah very, mostly playing games, video-editing.
eshazz
Very nice machine, I wish i had one like it.
Jamestf347
Very Good System, Especially if you have the money to burn. Honestly I would have went with XP, but that's just me, I don't like Vista.
Beny
Cool PC I woudnt Pay £3,000 though no way plus i would get different operating system Vista IS s....l........o..........w ! REALY SlOw

- Beny