FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Sounds of the Universe

halilibo
Few days ago, i have listened them on tv. NASA has released. They do not seem to strange for me. But the sound of Jupiter's turnings sounds like a continuous metal to metal crush.

Now I want to hear the sound of a black hole if can be.
Wink Laughing
DoctorBeaver
Would it just be a loud sucking noise? Laughing
ocalhoun
How are they giving you sounds from distant planets when sound doesn't travel in space?
Parkour_Jarrod
ocalhoun wrote:
How are they giving you sounds from distant planets when sound doesn't travel in space?

I would assume that maybe they have a satellite or a probe with a few hundred high quality mics attached to the thing and chucked it into the planet or just close enough that sound is noticeable.
DoctorBeaver
They take the radiation output and alter the frequency so that it's audible.

Here is a link about hearing the Sun "sing"

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/singing/
ocalhoun
DoctorBeaver wrote:

Wouldn't that just be what we like to call 'static'? If you want to hear the universe, just tune your radio to an unused channel.
manlear
Yeah, if they alter the audio isn't that just like making a sound out of it? they could take any radiation and turn it into any sound..... if they wanted to.
Afaceinthematrix
Isn't space a giant vacuum? Therefore, there wouldn't be any noise at all because there would be no median for sound waves to travel through...
manlear
Yes, they already said that, but it says that they are taking some kind of frequency and altering it. You can take anything and alter it to whatever you want to. So this thread is kind of pointless.
Arseniy
Wow!
Quote:
Isn't space a giant vacuum? Therefore, there wouldn't be any noise at all because there would be no median for sound waves to travel through...

They're measuring star and planet light waves and radiowaves, which can go through the vacuum, and then they're turning them to sound waves.
Where can I get a copy of those?
DoctorBeaver
ocalhoun wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:

Wouldn't that just be what we like to call 'static'? If you want to hear the universe, just tune your radio to an unused channel.

Then you'd get, among other things, the CMBR.
DoctorBeaver
I'm not sure I understand the point of doing it. Maybe someone had some unused research grant to spend. Laughing
manlear
Yeah i don't understand it either. Sounds pretty stupid. But in any case its research and it might lead to finding a good thing.
deanhills
Could it be the echo of the sound equipment Laughing I was also wondering about these sounds, as I have been listening to them too. What would the sounds be coming from the earth then? Sort of does not really make sense, especially when you are travelling.
manlear
Well. It would be the sounds of the human populous most likely. Im sure the sound would change werever you are positioned on Earth. Considering we have populated almost every part of the ever-changing Earth except the most harshests Terrains. You would have to be in the middle of a vast desert not to hear the Human species and our inventions. And even then you would hear a quiet hum. I am sure.
Josso
On the VLF bands, you can pick up lightning, dawn chorus and lots of other quite interesting things. Although I find the antennae are hard to find and best to construct via kits or instructions online. Most shortwave receivers go down that low by standard anyway.
ocalhoun
DoctorBeaver wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:

Then you'd get, among other things, the CMBR.

Perhaps they use a directional antenna and point it at whatever they want to capture the 'sound' of?
DoctorBeaver
ocalhoun wrote:

Perhaps they use a directional antenna and point it at whatever they want to capture the 'sound' of?

That is exactly what they do.
deanhills
Is it possible, since we are earth bound and our hearing is trained and adapted to our survival on earth, that what we hear is different to what it really is? Our "perception" of it is limited?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Is it possible, since we are earth bound and our hearing is trained and adapted to our survival on earth, that what we hear is different to what it really is? Our "perception" of it is limited?

Well, we just receive sound waves, and can discern the direction they come from, their strength, and their frequency... There's only so many things you can perceive differently with that... The only real possible difference is the range of frequencies and strengths that can be heard.