FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

msconfig ..Which services to turn on and off to speed up my

Possum
Hi

Both my computers are running real slow.. I am now looking getting them running properly again.

For Starters I went to msconfig..

I have tons of services running..

http://udopage.com/xp/udopage_39.php

How can I find the right ones to turn off. And which ones should I leave on.

Thank you
Bondings
Possum wrote:
Hi

Both my computers are running real slow.. I am now looking getting them running properly again.

For Starters I went to msconfig..

I have tons of services running..

http://udopage.com/xp/udopage_39.php

How can I find the right ones to turn off. And which ones should I leave on.

Thank you

Fax maybe. It seems a bit hard to say without the descriptions. I think you can enable descriptions for it.

Otherwise, it might be a good idea to try out Process Explorer. The download is a zip file and contains an executable file which doesn't need to be installed, you can simply put it on your desktop and run it. (There is also a help file, if you need it.) It will display all currently running processes. It separates the services and the 'real' programs. Usually a lot of 'crap' (sorry for the word) is running by default that is pretty useless, that can be disabled and will save you some ram and startup time.
Possum
Fax is off now 100 more to go.... Wink
Fire Boar
A lot of services simply preload applications into RAM to speed up execution times (like Adobe PDF Reader, for example) and are otherwise completely unnecessary. So if there are any programs on the list that you don't use on a day-to-day basis, I'd strongly advise turning them off.
Bondings
I would also disable the Remote Procedure Call service, it seems you still have one of them running. I don't think you need this service as a normal user. And it already had an exploit, so disabling it might definitely be a good idea.
Possum
Quote:
I would also disable the Remote Procedure Call service

It wont turn off.. and there's two of em,,, scary.. I might have to use Remote Procedure Call services.msc

If this wasn't such fun it would be sad..

THx
mOrpheuS
Turn off RPC ? I would strongly advise against doing that.
For the simple reason that Windows can't run without it. Kill the process from task manager and Windows will force restart.

Also, I'd recommend using service.msc console to disable the services, instead of turning them off in MSConfig.

That said, the list of services that you can safely disable would depend on what you use your computer for.

Though a few conflicts can be spotted right away ...
Automatic updates are on, but background intelligent transfer service is off.
iPod service is off, but Apple's Bonjour service is on.
Possum
Does Vista and windows7 have these sort of issues

I have two computers connected and networked together with a switch. I do share files and the printer. I have old system but want to learn these settings and what they mean so I can buy and maintain my next system and get the most out of it..

So I really appreciate your comments..

thx
Jaan
i'm pretty sure gamexp will do taht... just google gamexp, download it (free) and run it on turbo settings.... its kept my computers running smooth and fast for well over a year Smile highly recommended!
Tuvitor
Hey, thanks for the GameXP tip. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good. Next time I'm playing my games I'll load it up and see how it goes...
Possum
GameXP

Yes I know that app...

Thx I may just have to run it again.

thank you
mOrpheuS
Possum wrote:
Does Vista and windows7 have these sort of issues

I have two computers connected and networked together with a switch. I do share files and the printer. I have old system but want to learn these settings and what they mean so I can buy and maintain my next system and get the most out of it..

This works for me -

In that screenshot, "HID input service", "Network Location Awareness", "Secondary Logon", "Shell Hardware Detection", "Terminal Services", "Windows Audio", "Windows Time", "Workstation" can be further disabled, depending upon specific usage.

For networking with file/printer sharing, you'll probably need to keep "DHCP client", "Server" and "Computer Browser" services running (If you keep them disabled, you'll have to manually configure your computer's network and will only be able to access using its IP address - not by name).

p.s. - The usual disclaimer about trying it at your own risk applies ... Wink
hunnyhiteshseth
The best way to decide this is to google each process & service in google and then decide whether you need it or not.
And then disable each unnedded service ONE BY ONE as any service takes up resources and make your computer a little slow and 'one by one' so thatif you run into any problem, you know what service to enable again.
HamsterMan
You can disable just about every third party service without problems. You can also uncheck everything in the startup tab.

I also recommend that you try out http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/XPAntispy.shtml . It's a nice little utility that you can use to disable some non-essential functions in windows xp.

Then there's the usual stuff, defragment your harddrive, run a registry cleaner and scan for spy/malware and viruses.
achowles
You should really start with the Startup tab. Everything in there aside from your AV/firewall and anything related to your I/O devices can be unchecked.
invizibility
I'd suggest you disable one service at a time and see if it breaks anything. I've suffered a lot cause on the required services for an exe (not another service) was disabled. You can always look at system errors from Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer for any errors caused by disabled services.

I
hofodomo01
Also, have you looked at your "startup" items in MSconfig too? Managing them can also improve performance in certain cases. Sysinfo.org has some information on windows processes, what they do, which ones are trojans/viruses, etc. The only two items in my startup are my antivirus and a system monitoring utility, both of which I don't explicitly need.

And someone above mentioned turning off remote procedre call...I nearly choked on my drink laughing Smile