FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Donkey Basketball

SBCBC33
I'm thinking about participating on a team for donkey basketball for a fundraiser here in town. It sounds interesting but I have very little experience riding animals. Has anyone tried this before? It sounds like it would be funny to watch. The money is raised through ticket sales.
deanhills
SBCBC33 wrote:
I'm thinking about participating on a team for donkey basketball for a fundraiser here in town. It sounds interesting but I have very little experience riding animals. Has anyone tried this before? It sounds like it would be funny to watch. The money is raised through ticket sales.

Sounds pretty amazing to me. How are they going to do it? Shoot basketballs while riding donkeys? Can imagine it is going to be hilarious.
ocalhoun
I've heard of similar games with ponies, but never with donkeys...
Where are you going to find enough well-trained donkeys for that?
hlavco
Every year or so, my old high school would have a donkey basketball fundraiser. It was all the teachers and administrative staff that had to play. Sounded like a funny idea, but I never wound up going. I think there are pictures of it in my yearbook...
Wolf1918
I've seen a game of donkey basketball and it is very funny. Donkeys are cool little equines but they can be, shall we say, uncooperative little beasties.

There is a saying, "Stubborn as a mule" ... well a mule IS a cross between a horse and a donkey. Guess which side of the family that stubbornness came from! LOL.

They won't always go which way you want them to go, they won't necessarily go WHEN you want them to go and they might not always stop when/where you want them to.

Plus it's VERY hard to teach them the rules of the game. LOL

Have fun, at least most donkeys are short, so it won't be like falling from a horse!

Chad Laughing
georgeodowd
In general, I don't find events like this to be very humane or respectable. My aunt and uncle used to own a donkey basketball team. They hauled them all over, and once were even on TV (Nickelodeon's Wild N Crazy Kids for anyone who remembers back that far). Fortunately for the donkeys, the got retired out to pasture at the neighbours.
michaeljscott93
Sounds awesome Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I am interested to know whether you are going to play basketball while on a donkey and inside a stadium Razz

Show us a vid sometime Razz
Sphaerenkern
Sounds funny if the donkeys aren't treated badly... I'd also like to see some videos!
jwellsy
I've seen a couple of donkey basketball games. They are pretty funny if you know the the guys out there doing it. The ones I saw they didn't dribble the ball and the donkeys wore some kind of rubber hoof covers.
deanhills
georgeodowd wrote:
In general, I don't find events like this to be very humane or respectable. My aunt and uncle used to own a donkey basketball team. They hauled them all over, and once were even on TV (Nickelodeon's Wild N Crazy Kids for anyone who remembers back that far). Fortunately for the donkeys, the got retired out to pasture at the neighbours.
I can see your point. Do they also have to "man" handle them, as I am completely bowled over that they can actually participate in a game like that. So I can imagine they would be receiving plenty of prodding.
georgeodowd
deanhills wrote:
georgeodowd wrote:
I can see your point. Do they also have to "man" handle them, as I am completely bowled over that they can actually participate in a game like that. So I can imagine they would be receiving plenty of prodding.

Yeah, I assume they have some minimal amount of training - enough to know when someone is asking them to go. But in general I can imagine the circumstances (loud noises, unfamiliar location) cause them to move around in a muted sort of disquiet with or without rider participation. I just hope they enforce a weight limit - donkeys are not the largest animals, and don't have backs like horses, so are not all that suited to riding. Sad
jabce85
hahah, never heard of it, but sounds very interesting..
Triple_7
Its quite fun and funny at the same time, it was part of our senior prank at my school. Had it all planned out and made use of the teachers freshly paved parking lot one afternoon during lunch. Had the principal laughing and the vice principal threatening to expel us. She had a sense of humor, he was just an @$$ Rolling Eyes Guess he really didn't like it when someone jumped on his back and said they found another @$$ to use Laughing

No donkeys were harmed during the hour long game, just a lot of wandering off as none of them were trained at all Rolling Eyes Needless to say its not easy to shoot when your ass has no sense of direction Shocked Laughing
deanhills
Triple_7 wrote:
Its quite fun and funny at the same time, it was part of our senior prank at my school. Had it all planned out and made use of the teachers freshly paved parking lot one afternoon during lunch. Had the principal laughing and the vice principal threatening to expel us. She had a sense of humor, he was just an @$$ Rolling Eyes Guess he really didn't like it when someone jumped on his back and said they found another @$$ to use Laughing

No donkeys were harmed during the hour long game, just a lot of wandering off as none of them were trained at all Rolling Eyes Needless to say its not easy to shoot when your ass has no sense of direction Shocked Laughing
Looks as though this is a humorous kind of sport then? One that you organize for fun, rather than serious competition?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Triple_7 wrote:

Looks as though this is a humorous kind of sport then? One that you organize for fun, rather than serious competition?

Yeah, just for fun... if you want serious sport, they have polo.
wanshishusheng
SBCBC33 wrote:

What is the donkey basketball ?