FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the behaviour of proxies in response to gzip encodin

imagefree
subject may not be descriptive enough, so i will explain with example.

Suppose i am gzip encoding all of my outgoing text/* files and also sending HTTP headers to enable client side caching and allowing proxies to store the same.

The G-Zip encoding is done intellegently by interpreting the browser's ability to handle gzip files, but when a gzipped file is stored by proxies or intermediate devices, do the devices send the encoded file without interpreting the Accept-Encoding header sent by browser?

in that case whatever file is first sent (the encoded file requested by a modern browser, or the original file without encoding reqiested by an old browser) will be cached/stored and served to all the persons using the proxy or rout etc without checking browser's compatibility.

Is this a practicle issue or do the proxies and devices handle intellegently the situation.

i need details or reference to a resource.
thanks
coreymanshack
imagefree wrote:
subject may not be descriptive enough, so i will explain with example.

Suppose i am gzip encoding all of my outgoing text/* files and also sending HTTP headers to enable client side caching and allowing proxies to store the same.

The G-Zip encoding is done intellegently by interpreting the browser's ability to handle gzip files, but when a gzipped file is stored by proxies or intermediate devices, do the devices send the encoded file without interpreting the Accept-Encoding header sent by browser?

in that case whatever file is first sent (the encoded file requested by a modern browser, or the original file without encoding reqiested by an old browser) will be cached/stored and served to all the persons using the proxy or rout etc without checking browser's compatibility.

Is this a practicle issue or do the proxies and devices handle intellegently the situation.

i need details or reference to a resource.
thanks

Depends on the proxy, but a proxy is just a relay service, it doesn't need to view the file at all.
imagefree
coreymanshack wrote:
Depends on the proxy, but a proxy is just a relay service, it doesn't need to view the file at all.

my question is that does the proxy view the header information? not the file.
free-lancer
specific answer can only be given for a specific proxy server
kv
imagefree wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

my question is that does the proxy view the header information? not the file.

Most proxy servers will act like a http server, i.e., consider the headers sent by browser, though it may not handle a different header by itself i.e., instead of handling decoding by itself, just make a new request to the http server. There may be few primitive proxy servers which don't look at headers.

You may have to check the documentation of proxy server in question.