FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unique SATA drive cable...

Aredon
Well I set out to get a second SATA drive installed on my computer. Perhaps go for a RAID configuration or something, but I've ran into something of a snag. It seems that in order to install the second drive I need this cable: (Item #4) and brackets (Item #3).

I can't say that I've ever seen this style of adapter before. I can't seem to find any documentation on what it is called, or where I might find one. I can't find it anywhere on dell's website which has proven to be very frustrating. The cable and brackets are for an M2010, and I was hoping it would be possible to find this part outside of dell's spare part center. Since they'll likely charge a lot more, but that's assuming they even have the part.

Anyway... anyone know what this is called so I can newegg this? lol
coreymanshack
Aredon wrote:
Well I set out to get a second SATA drive installed on my computer. Perhaps go for a RAID configuration or something, but I've ran into something of a snag. It seems that in order to install the second drive I need this cable: (Item #4) and brackets (Item #3).

I can't say that I've ever seen this style of adapter before. I can't seem to find any documentation on what it is called, or where I might find one. I can't find it anywhere on dell's website which has proven to be very frustrating. The cable and brackets are for an M2010, and I was hoping it would be possible to find this part outside of dell's spare part center. Since they'll likely charge a lot more, but that's assuming they even have the part.

Anyway... anyone know what this is called so I can newegg this? lol

wtf.
Aredon
coreymanshack wrote:
wtf.
Constructive.
Parkour_Jarrod
i know this is a long shot but you never know what you will get have you tried E-bay or any other sael sites like it?
Aredon
well I was actualy hopeing someone would recognize it, because I can't search on any site if I don't know what it's called. Like I said there doesn't seem to be any information on it in my computer's documentation. Which leads me to believe it might be a dell-only part...
coreymanshack
yea i have no clue what that thing is... guess noone else does either.
Flakky
Try the pictures on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
David_Pardy
Could you provide a bit more background?

Have you already bought the drive? Where from? What sort of motherboard do you have, and what

Modern computers should be able to natively support a RAID array using standard SATA connectors. That looks like it's supposed to be a server cable of some sort.

SAS drives for servers are essentially server versions of SATA drives. It could be trying to tell you you need to set it up as a proper SAS array, which is strange.

But yeah, please give us more information.

Also, I'm assuming your computer is a Dell, using a Dell case?
Scubaman2051
Leave it to Dell to do something like that. You could always try to find out who made the mobo for Dell and check them out. I know HP uses alot of Asus boards, but not to sure about Dell.
Aredon
David_Pardy wrote:
I suppose so, but I kind of felt I already provided everything you needed to know?
Quote:
Have you already bought the drive? Where from?

No, and doesn't matter, the drive is/will be standard SATA. I just need a cable to adapt the SATA drive to my motherboard, like the one that is currently installed. I might take 'er apart tomorrow and take a picture of the particular port that the other drive is supposed to go into.
Quote:
What sort of motherboard do you have, and what

Umm.. the only motherboard that comes with the M2010, since it's a custom form factor. I'll see if I can find a picture or documentation of some kind. What was the rest of your question?
Quote:

Such as? Very Happy I really don't know anything about the cable; that's sort of why I'm asking. There is zero documentation on it, and I can't find a part number anywhere.

Quote:

It's an M2010, I can't fit it in another case. Unless I modded one myself.

From what you guys have said and from what I've looked into. It appears I may be stuck contacting dell spare parts for what I'm looking for. Sad I still need to investigate the wikipedia pictures, I'll get around to that sometime tonight and hopefully find a name for this cable. Thanks for the help so far guys!
coreymanshack
Aredon wrote:
David_Pardy wrote:
I suppose so, but I kind of felt I already provided everything you needed to know?
Quote:
Have you already bought the drive? Where from?

No, and doesn't matter, the drive is/will be standard SATA. I just need a cable to adapt the SATA drive to my motherboard, like the one that is currently installed. I might take 'er apart tomorrow and take a picture of the particular port that the other drive is supposed to go into.
Quote:
What sort of motherboard do you have, and what

Umm.. the only motherboard that comes with the M2010, since it's a custom form factor. I'll see if I can find a picture or documentation of some kind. What was the rest of your question?
Quote:

Such as? Very Happy I really don't know anything about the cable; that's sort of why I'm asking. There is zero documentation on it, and I can't find a part number anywhere.

Quote:

It's an M2010, I can't fit it in another case. Unless I modded one myself.

From what you guys have said and from what I've looked into. It appears I may be stuck contacting dell spare parts for what I'm looking for. Sad I still need to investigate the wikipedia pictures, I'll get around to that sometime tonight and hopefully find a name for this cable. Thanks for the help so far guys!

I think you answered your own question, it is a dell only part.
froginabox
I would agree with coreymanshack, I bet it's a Dell-specific part. You could always try calling their Customer Support and see if they'll sell you one... but be prepared to pay a LOT more than you should for it!
bloodrider
It may have nothing to do with it, but may it be an IDE-SATA converter?
Just a long-shot Razz
coreymanshack
bloodrider wrote:
It may have nothing to do with it, but may it be an IDE-SATA converter?
Just a long-shot Razz

It certainly doesn't look ide.
Aredon
Well I managed to acquire the cable from dell for the curious sum of $15. Took me about a week of phone calls to get through to a spare parts center that knew what it was I was asking for. To their credit, I did receive the part within three days.

I'll take some more pictures this afternoon so you guys can see it closer up and maybe get an idea for the future if anyone asks this again. (however unlikely that might be, but you never know, someone out there might be looking on google someday.) I'm still waiting for the metal brackets to come in, and I believe I'll be getting a 500GB drive for the second bay.

Thanks everyone for trying to help, even though you were all about as clueless as I was. Smile

(I can't guarantee I'll have the pictures up by this afternoon, but I'll certainly try to have them posted soon.)
AftershockVibe
I don't suppose they told you the thing's name when you ordered/received it?
David_Pardy
I'm really interested to see what the connector on the motherboard looks like.

I hate when manufacturers such as Dell deliberately create non standard parts. Makes the lives of technicians difficult as well because they're all unique situations you don't cater for.
ForceRun
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner, you don't need the cable at all. It is a very simple cable, it just has the power on it, not just the data like normal. So you should have been able just to hook up a normal Sata data cable and run the power from your PSU. They don't have to be combined like that, not many setup bother doing it that way. Oh well.
coreymanshack
ForceRun wrote:
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner, you don't need the cable at all. It is a very simple cable, it just has the power on it, not just the data like normal. So you should have been able just to hook up a normal Sata data cable and run the power from your PSU. They don't have to be combined like that, not many setup bother doing it that way. Oh well.

I thought it was that at first too, but look more carefully at the other end.
Aredon
David_Pardy wrote:
I'm really interested to see what the connector on the motherboard looks like.

There's a picture of my motherboard where the HD cable is supposed to plug in. I'm still working on getting a clean shot of the cable, my camera doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Between dead batteries and really blurry shots I've thus far failed.

The invoice doesn't have the name of the cable either... Closest I got was "CBL;HD;NBK;M2010" Which doesn't tell me much.
David_Pardy
That is DEFINITELY a non-standard connector. How tedious!
psycosquirrel
The M2010 is technically a laptop, even though it is a 20" system. Congrats on having such a beast! I wish I could afford a $2000+ laptop! Smile

Just about all the hardware crammed in there is proprietary, as with all laptops. It is extremely common to see connectors like those inside of a laptop. Actually, in laptops, the drive will either directly plug into the motherboard or always use a proprietary connector such as that one.

Just consider yourself lucky it was only $15! I remember working on a Toshiba A10 several years ago that was missing a similar connector (albeit laptop IDE). It took me at least 5 hours of research, and finally $45, to order a replacement harness.

Laptops can be costly!
Aredon
psycosquirrel wrote:
The M2010 is technically a laptop, even though it is a 20" system. Congrats on having such a beast! I wish I could afford a $2000+ laptop! Smile
Thanks! My friends and I have basically dubbed it my "Mobile Desktop". I tend to call it my LAN party machine but whateves.
Quote:

Just consider yourself lucky it was only $15! I remember working on a Toshiba A10 several years ago that was missing a similar connector (albeit laptop IDE). It took me at least 5 hours of research, and finally $45, to order a replacement harness.
Laptops can be costly!

I'm rather sure that if it had been $45 for the cable I wouldn't have purchased it... that's a crazy high price...

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any kind of good photo of the cable. I tried with flash and without flash and various other focusing settings to get it right. The cleanest picture I ended up with reflected far too much light to tell the difference between the metal strips on the connector and the plastic they are shielded by. So I basically gave up on that, I figured you guys would probably get the idea with just the photo of the motherboard. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone!
ForceRun
I guess I was wrong, you motherboard is a interesting one. They were thinking a while back with the Satas to combine the power and data into one smaller cable; to solve the air flow of the old IDE drives. But I though no one ready did any thing with it. Trust Dell to play around with the standards, like in the past they redesigned the PSU motherboard connector and changes the Voltage of the pins. So if you took a old Dell PSU and tried to use it on a newer mobo it would fry the mobo.
Aredon
ForceRun wrote:
I guess I was wrong, you motherboard is a interesting one. They were thinking a while back with the Satas to combine the power and data into one smaller cable; to solve the air flow of the old IDE drives. But I though no one ready did any thing with it. Trust Dell to play around with the standards, like in the past they redesigned the PSU motherboard connector and changes the Voltage of the pins. So if you took a old Dell PSU and tried to use it on a newer mobo it would fry the mobo.
Sounds like a load of fun?