FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How is the economy where you are?

Alaskacameradude
Just wondering what the economy is doing where everyone is. Here in Alaska, we are about a year or so
behind the rest of the US, which means the last year wasn't too bad, but this year it is starting out pretty slow. Not many jobs out there and lots of people being laid off and for us small business owners, business is slowing down. What's it like where you are?
jsarnold
The economy is pretty appalling here in the UK, with many long standing high street names going under.

However, the current exchange rate is fantastic. I do most of my work in US dollars, but have this converted to UK sterling - I'm earning almost 50% more than before!
PennyLane
Here in Belgium the economy hasn't been this bad since 1931... So I think you can imagine how bad it is... All those bank crisises aren't doing any good to our economy.
Chinmoy
The economy is recovering from a massive breakdown..we have our fingers crossed..
deanhills
We're starting to feel it in the Middle East. People are losing jobs. I have not really seen the construction activity "dying" yet though, so wonder whether the losing jobs could be related to companies seeing a gap to let people go. Before the crunch started a number of companies in Dubai had been complaining that the cost of doing business in Dubai was getting excessive and not worth their while any longer. Accommodation is of the most expensive in the world. For example, hotels in Dubai are more expensive than in the UK. Transportation is expensive. So there is that. I believe it is going to get worse in the next year as the impact of the lower oil price will probably only be felt later in the year. Banking regulations in the UAE are quite stringent. So I do not see banks failing like they did in other countries. Some of the international ones may however fall under the axe, depending on how they survive in their home countries, i.e. Citibank, Barclays, HSBC, etc.
Triple_7
Its gone here in my little Indiana town. Was thriving and you could get a job just by walking in a door when I first moved here 5 years ago. Now our biggest employers have shut down or moved out of the country. There is not a job to be found within a 50 mile radius if not more. Our population has went from the 6,000 range down to the 4,900 range just in the last 2 years and continues to drop. At least one if not more vacant/foreclosed homes can be found on every block...there's 3 on mine alone. Our population is only kept higher because of 2 large retirement homes and a small community collage that is here. This town is dieing fast, the only thing keeping it alive is the little mom and pop stores on main street, and our fast food...but we just lost Burger King. This town revolves around farming, mostly in livestock, but its going downhill fast. There is a large Ethanol plant that just went in south of town, employs 35 people, but it put almost 200 out of jobs at local family owned farms. Worlds largest Bio-diesel plant it just to my north. Between the 2 of them taking the local harvests our livestock feed costs have climbed to new levels...combined with the fuel costs, meat markets, and everything else that is going on in the country local farmers are dropping like flies. My own job is on the chopping block now if the farm can't turn a profit by June...which it wont...there's no way. So just like many other places, we are going down fast and there's nothing slowing it down.
desonium
Im dutch so I live in the Netherlands Razz
The economy here is very bad. We call it already a crisis. The gouverment is going to do something but you never know when they come up with a plan. I and my parents don't have much trouble with it because my dad has a fine job which don't have trouble from the crisis, because they building oilships at his work and oil is always needed, also in the economy crisis.
ptfrances
Here in France the news are not good as well. A lot of people are losing already their jobs and the automobile sector is really coming down. But banks seems for the moment spared more or less by the downfall....
Everybody turns already their head on 2010. Arrow
imera
They say that the crises here in Norway hasn't been this bad since the last time in 1930 something.

I guess many people has been touched by this bad time, my mother for instant, she has a loan from the time she studied, and a job that doesn't really pay much, and with 5 kids then I guess it's a lot of stress. I can't imagine how people that has it worse than us are living, the thought of loosing your house, car and everything is just horrible.
I have a job in the government (school), so until my intern ship is over I'll have a secure job.

the politics are coming up with packages that seem to only help out the ones that already has, like themselves, how I hate rich people, they can't see the poor people that needs help.
A lot of people has lost their jobs, many has lost everything and many are on the list to end up like them.

I am sure that I'll survive because I have always been realistic, known that saving money is important even if I might get more later.

The funny thing is that there are so many younger men that has taken suicide. They had jobs that made them millionaires in a short period of time and when this crises came they lost most of it, because they became 'ordinary' people they thought it was the end, because they would have to buy a smaller home, not as fancy car and such.

It's to much to hope for that poor people will manage to get more in the future, I bet the rich will come out standing here to, and then become even richer because the poor needs help.
DarkReaver
Here in Canada it isnt too bad actually. I mean it is to some extend, 150,000 people out of work is pretty significant and our dollar has fallen a tad again against the US dollar (not to worry though Razz)

Our finance minister presently has no concerns over the health of our banks and financial institutions. That being said, unlike the states, in Canada you can't for instance go and buy a house and put nothing down. I believe its more around the 25% mark that you have to meet before you can make your purchase. So there are not NEARLY as many people out of houses and money as in the states presently. Canadian banks are definitely more conservative in terms of giving out loans.

I even read in an article in the Washington post (i thing) talking about how the US economic crisis has pretty well skipped over Canada
Libby
Where I live, the economy's been pretty bad for a long time and it's only gotten worse. You can really tell just by looking at the classifieds. There's a third the number of job listings as there was just a year ago. O.o And nobody's selling their houses either.
samrobson1
In australia the economy is the worst it's been in a very long time. Many companies closing down moving production overseas or just going under. Which in turn has resulted in a massive influx of unemployment. It's becoming increasingly difficult to get a job as there are dozens and dozens of applicants for even the simplest positions.

The government is under a lot of pressure at the moment due not only to the economical crisis but we also have massive floods destroying towns in the north and fires in the south that have claimed over 200 lives. Not the best time for aussies at the moment Sad
LumberJack
Canada is starting to feel it, some areas more than most. Our banks may be fine, but our economy is not. Sad
pll
LumberJack wrote:
Canada is starting to feel it, some areas more than most. Our banks may be fine, but our economy is not. Sad

Here in Quebec were fine.
It's amazing to see it happen all around the world. But here in Quebec city it's not so bad. On the far region of the province, we start to feel it but at Quebec city we just don't.

I think it will come soon though Confused
gcaughill
LumberJack wrote:

In Ontario the manufacturing sector is going fast, especially automotive. Then everything else feels the heat.
gcaughill
Libby wrote:
Where I live, the economy's been pretty bad for a long time and it's only gotten worse. You can really tell just by looking at the classifieds. There's a third the number of job listings as there was just a year ago. O.o And nobody's selling their houses either.

Our banks are not lending money even though they've received money, so they are part of the problem now. Businesses can't get loans, even established ones.
furtasacra
I'm in Jacksonville, Florida. We've got the 4th-highest unemployment rate of major metropolitan areas in the United States, and every place I go to apply for a job, there is anywhere from dozens to hundreds of other applicants waiting.

Oh, and my entire neighborhood is full of houses with FOR SALE signs on them.
Joanne
I guess economic crisis are just everywhere.
I mean, who would even think such country as America would feel a hard shake and impact on this?
What more with small countries?

I live in The Philippines.
People feel it.
Like LITERALLY feel more of the hardships economic downpour have caused.
Chinmoy
we are on a rocking boat. God knows where well land, but we know its going to be nowhere for an year..
manlear
Well, steady lay-offs slow build up... pretty much like you... well except for the climate.
Your sincerely,
Texas Very Happy
gueda
I live in Brazil, South America. The economy has problem here too, since the US have the imboliary problem.

The banks have stopped giving loans for fear of not receiving the payment back, which is generating an internal crisis between the government and population, since the banks here are the companies that have more profit
Several companies are combining with their employees a reduction of the day and reducing wages in lieu of fire.
Having much unemployment. I believe that the coming months will be tough.

The big problem here is the automotive industry. Without bank loans to people not buying cars, the factory dismiss the workers, who no longer buy things ... creates a vicious cycle in the economy.
I have date to be fired.
manlear
Man i feel sorry for you. Sounds tough. Gd luck on keeping your job.
wiureczka
The economy in Poland is on very good stance. We have good rate of money exchange - 1 Euro for 5 Zlotych, 1 Dollar = 3,5 zlotych,which is a plus, because this it pays to import from our country. Not to mention the investment.
In addition, we are a relatively attractive country for tourists (medieval castles, forest, nature, sea, lakes, etc.), and at such a low rate of Zlotych to pay for tourists to spend time here instead of in other European cities (Krakow, Kwidzyn, Malbork, Gdansk etc.)

We have an artificial crisis caused by the media and the press who want to attract viewers.
As a result, companies use this fact to the firing of people to recruit them later on more favorable terms for themselves.

In crisis richer are making more richer... That sux
Insanity
I'm sure by now everyone has seen what terrible shape the American economy is in by now. Banks and big business everywhere are getting bailouts from the federal government, and we're in a recession. Hopefully by the time I get out of school the whole thing will blow over and there will be plenty of jobs for everyone. Otherwise I'm screwed for the next couple years.
Cddhesh
India is still on very safe side, as what i read, hear and see. There are measures being taken inorder to keep countries economy on track but certain sectors of industry have been affected specially IT industry and BPO/IPO.Its true that many people have lost their jobs but as what i see they have got job at other places in same sector or little different sector.
About my company, there were lay offs in last December, but then decision was taken by management that layoffs make companies image down, so to be on track salary of all employees have been reduced by 3 to 5 %.
people, those who were onsite are returning back.Many people who were working abroad have lost their jobs and have come back, few of them have started with their own businesses.
Lets hope for the best.
soljarag
Well, I graduated college a few months ago... and I don't see any jobs... Evil or Very Mad
allandu
1/10 is currently unemployed 0.o (100 000 out of 1 000 000, rounded values)
No jobs are coming out, if there are then about 200 per month, we get atleast 1000 new unemployed people, food prices are going up, loans are being forced on, the goverment trying to steal old peoples properties (one had got properties worth of 20 million, the goverment sold it and kept the money for itself)
Over that i can say that we are going DOWN.. :/

People are in debt with SMSloans, carloans and that means lots of people cant pay the loans back, and banks are upping the %-s of paybacks and so on.. :/ its sad
One company is digging dirt on people inside so they could fire them in a moment, happened to my relative.
The same company is forcing people to quit with force, threats and so on.
taksan
The economy here ain't that bad. I live in Brazil, as expected, it is been impacted by the crisis, but I think the damage has been under control.

Even now, I wanted to change my job and it was pretty easy to find another company to work on and get a decent (as decent as expected around here) wage.

Most of the banks here, unlike most of the banks around the globe, are doing pretty good. Even the foreign one, having problems in their own countries, actually performed well around here..
socceraggie
My observations of the economy in the Denver, Colorado market is that many businesses are still doing very well. With that said, I recently was laid off from my job at a large accounting firm. The jobs I have been interviewing for have been varying in both responsibilities and compensation.

What I've noticed the most is that certain industries are doing very well. I've had interviews with telecommunication companies, data processing companies, educational institutions, and investment firms. Of all of those opportunities, the educational institutions appeared to be in the best condition. All of the other opportunities I've researched have come back after interviews with something like they were still considering the position.
deanhills
socceraggie wrote:
My observations of the economy in the Denver, Colorado market is that many businesses are still doing very well. With that said, I recently was laid off from my job at a large accounting firm. The jobs I have been interviewing for have been varying in both responsibilities and compensation.

What I've noticed the most is that certain industries are doing very well. I've had interviews with telecommunication companies, data processing companies, educational institutions, and investment firms. Of all of those opportunities, the educational institutions appeared to be in the best condition. All of the other opportunities I've researched have come back after interviews with something like they were still considering the position.

This ties in with a news report that I saw over the weekend, can't remember where I saw it, it suggested that Colorado and North Carolina - Raleigh were places that seem to be OK jobwise.
mrcool
i think everyone is still suffering due to our bad economy....many people lose their jobs and making a hard time looking for a new one. i hope we will not suffer too long...
mrcool
i think everyone is still suffering due to our bad economy....many people lose their jobs and making a hard time looking for a new one. i hope we will not suffer too long...
babygeek
very bad in europe & in uk...heard the same in us and asia...lol...nowhere to run, eh? Wink
ptpmonitor
The global crisis already affected us. Though the affect is not powerful but it already taken many peoples job. It seems it will take time to pass these hard days.

Actually it is helping them who still have a job. Cost of life is decreasing daily.
jabce85
southern indiana -> improving... slowly
wadja-host
hey yall i think african may be th last on the economy chain though some countries are getting better

well am a Nigerian and we are known for scams and other stupid stuff some stupid Nigerian do online and also in terms of it tech we are badly nourished u cant find 100 php programmers in a whole state in Nigeria and also the scam rate is making programming deteriorate in my country well our economy is say is stable cos its always been down so i dont really fear the worse cos the worse has happened long time ago
the pianful part is that our leaders dont care all they crea about is making money for themselves no good roads and others and i must say its a shitass country cos of the leaders hope it will be better soon............

Very Happy

dont really kmow

Question you
fatosshala
The economy in my country in Kosovo is not good now for now. Needs even more time to come to a stabilized economy. Perhaps you know that Kosovo is independent country from February 17 2008 and it's normal there is not a developed economy. But i hope to be some changes in that direction, to be some investments from outside Kosovo then politicians to work better to have a good economy.