FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VMware for server and VMWare workstation

shenyl
Do anyone knows why VMware offers server and workstation as separate option?

Does it mean I can only install XP and other client OS - inlcuding Linux, on VMWare workstation and not the VMWare server?

Seem I need to install both to have the virtualisation of different OS?

Please advice, as I am interested to try out VMWare as compared to Virtual PC 2007 offered free by Microsoft - only seem to support MS OS and not Linux.

With regards
Fire Boar
VMWare is very confusing, and although it is possible to get virtualization for free with it, the option to do so is deliberately concealed behind lots of high-end business applications. I can't remember off-hand how exactly to do it, but I think it's as you say: you need two pieces of software.

I'd recommend Virtualbox over VMWare though: it's partially open-sourced, it's free and contains a lot of good features, and much more lightweight.

http://www.virtualbox.org/
Diablosblizz
May be a noob question but: does VirtualBox run at the same speed as VMWare? I know between VirtualPC and VMWare there is a huggeee gap.
Fire Boar
Good question, and from what I understand that depends on which version you get. In general:

VMWare Free < VirtualBox < VMWare Paid

The three options are fairly similar, but the general consensus is that VMWare is faster, but only if you get the one you have to pay for. Otherwise, VirtualBox is quite a bit faster.
shenyl
I have tried VirtualBox about a month ago, and it does not support MS XP well, infact I have to resort to using MS free VirtualPC 2007.

But MS free Virtual PC does not seem to support Linux, and its NW is poor.

That is the reason I was looking at VMWare Server and workstation.

I have good feedback about the excellent NW support of VMWare, and was puzzled if I should install VMWare Server or the Workstation.

Apparently, VMWare workstation is only free for 30 days evaluation, while VMWare server is free.

So I will try VMWare Server (which clearly states will not support Vista Home edition).

Thanks for your feedbacks.
Fire Boar
I have a feeling the other application you need is called VMWare Player. I think.
mOrpheuS
shenyl wrote:
Virtual PC 2007 offered free by Microsoft - only seem to support MS OS and not Linux
shenyl wrote:
I have tried VirtualBox about a month ago, and it does not support MS XP well

Virtual PC has always "supported" installation of Linux.
I also see no reason why VirtualBox wouldn't "support" XP.
Have you run into any problems trying to install Linux on Virtual PC 2007, or XP on VirtualBox ?

Fire Boar wrote:
VMWare Free < VirtualBox < VMWare Paid

By VMWare Free, did you mean VMWare server (which is now free) or VMWare player ?

shenyl wrote:
I have good feedback about the excellent NW support of VMWare, and was puzzled if I should install VMWare Server or the Workstation.

NW ? Confused
ocalhoun
The free version: VMWare server can run any OS. The paid version (Workstation) has extra options and features not included in the server version. (Like having multiple mini-screens open at once, and setting up self-contained virtual networks.)

I personally have found that VMWare is the most polished, solid and easiest to configure and use of all the free emulators available. Plus, it'll run on windows, linux, or mac... (Though I've found that if you want to run it on vista, you have to run it while logged in as administrator.)
Skye001
I agree with the above comment.

I use VMware alot and arguably one of the best Virtualisation software around. One key factor for me is Free support and Hardware Comp ability, which is excellent with VMware.