FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nine-year-old writes hit iPhone app

pumpin
You might think you're pretty hot stuff because you've figured out how to change your Facebook status from your iPhone, but you've got nothing on nine-year-old Lim Ding Wen.

This young prodigy from Singapore is fluent in six programming languages, according to a BBC report this week, and his newest creation, an iPhone drawing game called Doodle Kids, has racked up over 4,000 downloads in just two weeks. He wrote it for his younger sisters, who love to draw.

Doodle Kids, which lets players sketch with their fingers on the iPhone's screen and shake it, Etch-A-Sketch-style, to clear, has already racked up a healthy three-and-a-half star rating on the App Store. One reviewer commented: "Awesome app!...Amazing that something like this was made by a 9 year old". Click Here to play the game
j00gotpwnd
Wow that is just crazy! I think that I'm pretty good with computers, but I can't figure out programming. That is freaking awesome. He will definitely land a lead job sometime in his future!
misterXY
This was on ZDnet when l first heard about it, but a 13yr old kid programmed a O/S, so big whoop. screw anything with apple.
traxion
yea i've read it also

but i've heard that his dad is software -programmer so maybe he build a big part of the software and released it on the name of his son
misterXY
traxion wrote:
yea i've read it also

but i've heard that his dad is software -programmer so maybe he build a big part of the software and released it on the name of his son

Might be true, all l know is, l'm tired of the iphone, it's not intense programming like some people l know, l know a 16 yr old kid know C cause his older bro, who l'm good friends with, is a computer software engineer, and knows more languages then l can list.. iphone is icrap making imorons.
amperx
OMG a 9 year old did it Shocked I guess thats just kids now adays Very Happy
pumpin
Quote:
Might be true, all l know is, l'm tired of the iphone, it's not intense programming like some people l know, l know a 16 yr old kid know C cause his older bro, who l'm good friends with, is a computer software engineer, and knows more languages then l can list.. iphone is icrap making imorons.

Fella is it Apple u have problem wif or the fact that a 9 yrs old wrote a program? Better stay positive bro! Wink
erlendhg
I know, I heard about it. It is cool and impressing, but i agree that it is not as impressing as some people want it to be. I'm just thinking poor kid. He must be really focused on programming, so I hope that doesn't affect other skills or his social life negatively.
Dean_The_Great
That's awesome. I don't care if the coding is simple, the fact that is was accomplished by someone who's nine is just impressive.
misterXY
pumpin wrote:
Quote:

Fella is it Apple u have problem wif or the fact that a 9 yrs old wrote a program? Better stay positive bro! Wink

More Apple, l'm hardcore into open-source, left itunes for songbird, left internet explore(pretty much) for firefox, running clamwin instead of norton or any other of the sort, one of my thumbdrives is ubuntu.My last pc before it was killed was running Kubuntu (kde + ubuntu, l think l'll go back to GNOME next time). So you can see why l don't like Apple already, always pushing it.
Ivanluisky
Looks awesome Shocked.
That's one child prodigy!
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Ghengis
Sounds like now I have a benchmark for my 3-year-old. If she's not writing phone software by age 8, I've falied Very Happy
misterXY
Ghengis wrote:
Sounds like now I have a benchmark for my 3-year-old. If she's not writing phone software by age 8, I've falied Very Happy

lol. Try the guy who's going to try to benchmark that too. Jesus. l think Indian parents are already plotting this. Ba-zing.
georgeodowd
Makes you wonder if the kid is really just that into programming or if there is immense pressure from his parents. I know, when I was nine, the most dedicated thing I could do was take the dog for a walk...
Fake
Makes u wonder what he is doing with an iphone

AND the 2 younger sisters also in the iphone
Ghengis
Well, when *I* was 8 I was "into programming". I could make my Apple ][ print "MATT SUCKS" over and over again using BASIC. (Matt is, of course, my brother's name. Heh)
JorgeArroyo
I have been coding since I was 14. So that is pretty impressive.
SpellcasterDX
That's pretty impressive. I know I've been trying to learn to code since I was 12 or 13. I'm 15 and I still haven't learned anything. lol.

But anyway, he really is a prodigy. Unless of course the dad did it for him and just gave his son the credit...
misterXY
SpellcasterDX wrote:
That's pretty impressive. I know I've been trying to learn to code since I was 12 or 13. I'm 15 and I still haven't learned anything. lol.

But anyway, he really is a prodigy. Unless of course the dad did it for him and just gave his son the credit...

i think that's what happened too.
wombatrpgs
Meh, I don't doubt the story. Wouldn't make much sense to, for one thing. He could've been a guiding influence, yeah, but if the kid's fluent in 6 languages, then there's not much from there.
Smiddie
Shocked 9 year! I can;t even code and i'm 17 year old Razz
tchaunt
It's really nothing too impressive. By the time I was 8, I was making my own computer games. By 9, I had already learned the basics of Javascript, HTML, CSS, and PHP. And I know a lot of other kids like me who got started at a young age. It's just the way we are now-a-days. We are introduced to computers and other advanced technology before we even come out of our mother's wombs. It's actually not all that rare for kids to do things like that now.

What amazes me is the "fluent in 6 languages" part. That's pretty good.
wombatrpgs
Yeah, it's not hard to code at a young age, but I don't see any of the current posters writing hit iPhone apps, either. That's the difference.
misterXY
wombatrpgs wrote:
Yeah, it's not hard to code at a young age, but I don't see any of the current posters writing hit iPhone apps, either. That's the difference.

Most of us can't afford a iphone Smile
wombatrpgs
Well, you get the point anyway. It's fine that everyone can do something, but obviously not, or else it wouldn't be special.

(And I can't either, so...)
Vladalf
You can't be fluent in as many programming languages at such a little age, even if you're an asiatic robot. I know it out of experience.
Vladk
wh0lve
That is just sick. A nine year old learning so many programming languages and being able to write iphone apps. That is just sick. I really think this kid is going to make one hell of a programmer Laughing .

Wholve
missdixy
Geez. This makes me feel sort of sad about my life and my accomplishments haha.
hamza1122
Woah! That kids is scary. How does he even understand it?
_AVG_
Sometimes you just know when these guys are gifted .... like .... there's some kid who's 10 and is searching for a cure for cancer .... in a university lab. He studies with 23 year-olds and tops his class!

I just hope they remain focused during their teen years!
wombatrpgs
Yeah, child prodigies are always kind of neat. It's sort of neat to think that 300 years ago this would've been Mozart or something.

But weirdly enough you never hear about these people once they get older. Wonder why that is...
catscratches
Time to teach your children! Why not get them a http://www.c-jump.com/index.html for birthday present?
wombatrpgs
It's time to buy this for every child 11+ I know.
misterXY
catscratches wrote:
Time to teach your children! Why not get them a http://www.c-jump.com/index.html for birthday present?

Love it!
nigam
I just thought that I am one of them, and then later I realize that I am not. I cannot even write a program that say's hello world! using notepad for html. huhuhuhuh That kid must be really good and his parents are supporting very much for the future of this kid.
silverdown
damn next thing you know, babies will be hacking within the womb........ scary thought..... now must get a paranoid firewall Laughing
weableandbob
That's pretty remarkable...I'm 16 and only know 2 programming languages =/
misterXY
weableandbob wrote:
That's pretty remarkable...I'm 16 and only know 2 programming languages =/

16 and two languages..
16/2
8, by 8 you had a programming language on your belt. rub that in Smile
wombatrpgs
I still maintain that the language count doesn't mean something. That he developed something marketable is.
misterXY
Here's a question, has it been approved by apple lol and if so where can I find this in the app store :p
amperx
interesting, really nice to know there are a lot are already proficient with programming at such a young age Very Happy
wombatrpgs
Speaking of programming at young ages, has anyone heard of a piece of software called Widget Workshop? I had that thing on an old Apple Performa, learned the basics of circuitry and computer science without even realizing it...
rogue_skydragon
Really?! That's totally amazing. Kid geniuses are on the rise!
ProwerBot
Kids these days. I thought it was amazing when I figured out how to open the cd drive without pushing the physical button.
mmatt
That boy will definitely make it big in the future. At a young age he already created an app. I wonder what he will develop in the future. He might be the next Steve Jobs!