FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

For those who want speed.

misterXY
Windows PC.
Here's a list of things you can do too speed up or clean a pc, adding onto the list by posting cause l might do them myself, so please post.

Instant Messenger
A-Patch for Yahoo! or MSN users, allows customization for those like me, are on a bandwidth cap (l'm currently at 60gb, VERY easy to break it).
http://apatch.org/

Software

CCleaner cleans IE, FF, Safari, and it goes on...
http://www.ccleaner.com/

FireFox just better then IE anyday.
www.firefox.com

FireFox Add-ons
Ad-block plus
Ad-block plus Element helper

Sorry making the list short, turns out l had too leave sooner then l anticipated, but Win, Mac, Linux users post away tips, programs, and soo on.
coreymanshack
Speed? or system stability?

I'd think this was ment for system stability. You can't get speed from software could be a little misleading.

NOD32-Antivirus (low system rescources more stable than AVG)

As for CCleaner, I'm not so sure. If you don't go around installing every app you come across you should not have very many invalid registry entries, you can clean firefox and ie from the options menu, and you can delete unused hard disk files with a tool that comes with windows.
misterXY
coreymanshack wrote:
Speed? or system stability?

I'd think this was ment for system stability. You can't get speed from software could be a little misleading.

NOD32-Antivirus (low system rescources more stable than AVG)

As for CCleaner, I'm not so sure. If you don't go around installing every app you come across you should not have very many invalid registry entries, you can clean firefox and ie from the options menu, and you can delete unused hard disk files with a tool that comes with windows.

ClamWin is good, l have it also portable aswell, it seems pretty good since l got hits for things NOD32 did miss and it's open-source.
Scubaman2051
I have used Avira antivirus on many computers to clean them. The best part of this one is that you can run it right from a flash drive. Pretty effective if you have a bootable xp environment.
aningbo
how about those pendrives and using it as extra RAM?

never tried it but looks like it works! why dont u try it out if u want such a high speed?
coreymanshack
aningbo wrote:

never tried it but looks like it works! why dont u try it out if u want such a high speed?

I think the discussion was about programs that run appropriatley.
sanalskumar
aningbo wrote:

And could you tell me how we can use the pendrive as RAM, if we can then it will insrease the performance of the machine??? I think you are aware of the data transfer rate of a usb 2.0 device. Anyway looking forward to find your replys...
Diablosblizz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

Of course it's not as fast as regular RAM, but it'll do the job if you're desperately in need of RAM for a short period of time. Some USB sticks are made for these kinds of things, so they're optimized for speed. I think it's interesting, but I have enough RAM so I'll never use it.
Jaan
Also for firefox, NoScript works wonders after you've set up an initial whitelist. Haven't had a single spyware come up in spybot S&D in 3 years using it Very Happy
sanalskumar
Diablosblizz wrote:

Of course it's not as fast as regular RAM, but it'll do the job if you're desperately in need of RAM for a short period of time. Some USB sticks are made for these kinds of things, so they're optimized for speed. I think it's interesting, but I have enough RAM so I'll never use it.

I agree that it will be a little slow than regular RAM. But can you tell me how can i change a USB mass storage device into RAM. Is there any programs required for that? And how does this concept works? I am very much interested in this idea.
ted1986
Thank you. And I think the best way to make your PC fast is to clean the usless files on time.
coreymanshack
ted1986 wrote:
Thank you. And I think the best way to make your PC fast is to clean the usless files on time.

useless files aren't slowing down your pc unless they are booting up with your computer.
DrVoIP
i can say that CCleaner has been of very good help to me all these days . Hope it continues to be in the future aswell. Its very light weight and the best part is , my system never crashed not experienced any technical difficulties.
[FuN]goku
CCleaner is pretty good. Also, ram optimizers can be pretty good too.
snowynight
I used to use these things to clean up my computer.
but i don't think it can make my computer run faster.
unless you have a very small harddisk.
redslazers
sanalskumar wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

I agree that it will be a little slow than regular RAM. But can you tell me how can i change a USB mass storage device into RAM. Is there any programs required for that? And how does this concept works? I am very much interested in this idea.

It comes as a standard feature of vista, so you plug in the usb drive and then select the option use as ReadyBoost, but its usless if you have more than 2 Gb of ram
sheedatali
As long as you use Windows you will need this Biohazard suit of armor around it for it to work. If your situation permits then switch to Linux, less hassle and less Oh Shit moments if you just care about simple desktop use.
RaymondBotha
sanalskumar wrote:
aningbo wrote:

And could you tell me how we can use the pendrive as RAM, if we can then it will insrease the performance of the machine??? I think you are aware of the data transfer rate of a usb 2.0 device. Anyway looking forward to find your replys...

It's true you can use a pendrive as RAM. However it can only be done in Windows Vista Home Premium and up. I don't think it will work in XP, Mac OSX or Linux.
Jaan
i forgot to add: gamexp works wonders, increases bootup and shutdown time, turns off non critical services, etc. you can choose what you want specifically but i just go ultra light speed Razz

http://www.theorica.net/gamexp.htm

also, check out xandros presto, a new OS that boots up really fast!! i can't wait to try it out, im gonna have to save up a bit for the $20 (last month it was free ><) but i'm pumped!

check this: http://prestomypc.com/

cheers
joostvane
I use bitdefender. You can put it on Game mode when you need alot of system recources.
www.bitdefender.com