FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microsoft + AOL vs Yahoo + Google...

S3nd K3ys
Quote:
Microsoft, AOL Discuss Online Partnership

Allison Linn Thu Sep 15, 7:15 PM ET

SEATTLE (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. and Time Warner Inc. have been discussing potential online partnerships that would help the two companies better compete against rivals Google Inc. and Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO - news), two people familiar with the talks said Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

They two said the discussions have been going on for months and that any possible deal is not imminent.

Microsoft and AOL - who just two years ago settled a bitter antitrust lawsuit over Microsoft's tactics in the Internet browser market - are discussing possible collaboration in search technology, online advertising and instant messaging, said the two sources, one of whom is an executive with Time Warner's America Online unit.

Source

Oh, great. Now we get the world's worst software/OS company thinking about joing up with the world's worst ISP. :hurl:

Perhaps Google will come up with their own OS. Shocked
psycosquirrel
I will personally KILL Bill Gates if he allows a merger with AOL.

Everyone knows AOL is the worst ISP; the main one known for scamming people, hiding costs to get more profit, and false promises. AOL needs to stop existing...

Microsoft is not as bad, they can't help that they are so fat that they smother all competition. Windows is not entirely unreliable; its programs are decent, and it is very widely used. Therefore, it helps compatibility and does wonders for the economy of the USA.

Recently, Google has turned sour because it went public and now must satisfy its investors. Yahoo always was bad with ads and inconvenience (though they hide it very well at times), and AOL is... just pure evil. If Microsoft and AOL merge, Microsoft will just be another corrupt online group installing their internet malware/software on your computer when you don't want it...
LostOverThere
Microsoft and AOL are virtualy the same, really.
They both are huge giants, and both are expansive to buy/use, yet pretty dodgy.

I've never really liked Yahoo! But if their with Google, i'll think twice.
n0obie4life
Can't believe it.
Won't believe it.

AOL + MS vs GOOGLE + YAHOO

Google and yahoo would still win..

Besides, google and yahoo were partners before? Just to edge out MS from the search engine war?
S3nd K3ys
n0obie4life wrote:

Besides, google and yahoo were partners before? Just to edge out MS from the search engine war?

Didn't know that. Shocked

I wonder why MS and AOL feel the need to join forces then? Do they finally have someone that can 'bump' them?

:wringinghandstogether:
n0obie4life
Cuase they wanna edge out Google and Yahoo. More on Google actually, because of the "recent human poaching news" that most people would have known?

If I remember correctly after reading the newspaper this morning, Yahoo holds a nice 23% and google holds a nice 46%..with microsoft and aol holding hands, they would beat yahoo first by a few percent.

Yeah. MSN Search was edged out last time when google and yahoo joined forces. They spilt after that when MSN was knocked out..
snowboardalliance
I hope that wouldn't affect AIM. That's what everyone around here uses and it's the only good thing about AOL.
naz
Personally I don't think Google would fusion or anything like that with Yahoo because their are big competitors and "really don't like each other".
But anyway, this is IMHO.
n0obie4life
snowboardalliance wrote:
I hope that wouldn't affect AIM. That's what everyone around here uses and it's the only good thing about AOL.

If MS and AOL merges...then AIM and MESSENGER will be merged...obviously.

Geez, no one knew about the google and yaoo thing!?
Pixel
The Power of Google!

Google knows it all!^^
LostOverThere
n0obie4life wrote:

What? About Google Talk & Yahoo Messenger? Wink

Yup, I think they've got something going on there... Smile
babumuchhala
Guys MS is just trying for AOL search to be powered by MSN & not google., and to stem this it wants to buy a small stake in AOL.

Google is gonna give its bid to for a stake in AOL, because its about 10% revenue comes from searches made on AOL.

So Google will never ever want that to happen, would it.
Jeff_vella_leone
i dot know much aout this subject b ut its interesting i think that google owns the search engine stats its the best search engine dont think that ms and aol can make it to beat google
if google and yahoo merge then no one could stop them not even ms
still yahoo and google r good competitors yahoo gets the most of its clients from the online games it has i think thats their ace google on the other hand has the best search engine u early allways find what u want from google not the same with yahoo and the rest ut yahoo is etter than msn and aol on the otherhand
i dont think that anyoe will beat google
n0obie4life
LostOverThere wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

What? About Google Talk & Yahoo Messenger? Wink

Yup, I think they've got something going on there... Smile

Nono. I meant the search engine war last time when google and yahoo joined forces?
cnnet
yahoo + google is better
I prefer to use it
RosenCruz
Wherever google is that team always wins...hehe
EtherealDesert
He he. Google isn't doing that. Apple is and they will create the best non-Windows OS ever seen, and the people of the earth will be silent in awe Razz But seriously. Speaking of the OS I'm one of the believers, that will buy X without any sort of hesitation and I'm guessing that I won't be the only one. Shame that it seems to Intel designed (sigh).
SNES350
They can do whatever they want; I'm staying with Google. Nice as a homepage, shows my GMail, (almost) latest slashdot stories, word of the day, and a quote, AND it loads a hell of a lot faster than MSN.com/Yahoo. Not to mention how often I start up the browser JUST for a quick google search.
billgertz
well, what we say? i dont care if they're merging or what, what matters is the service that they are offering..

do you agree?
Nameless
I agree... it's not like their services can get much worse! j/k.

Google and Yahoo would win. Yahoo is good. AOL is evil. Google is Neutral. Microsoft is EVIL.

So EVIL + evil < good + neutral

Good always wins!
menhao
to be honest, i do not like MS and Yahoo, ybut google is fine, i nlike gmail and google web search, if a OS produced by google, i will consider to spend some omoney on it:)
n0obie4life
We can't say MSN Search is that bad..

I was looking for a website, I keyed into Google..I scrolled till the 10th page, nothing.

Same query on Yahoo, till the 15th page, nothing.

Because I was desperate, I used MSN Search, and I got it on the FIRST RESULT Rolling Eyes
thadnation
so, who thinks the microhoo deal will go through?
Zombie
I wouldnt be surprised if google purchases all of those companies... they have alot of money and they like to own things
Vladalf
When internet companies were younger, bigger companies like Microsoft and the others could destroy them. But Google is a big company now hah.
deanhills
Google is getting too big, and too established for my comfort as well. Every time when I do e-mails through Google, and then get shortcuts generated by Google on the topics that I have just written about in my e-mails, I get worried. Once any big name search engine has established itself, such as Google has, they have to dream up all kinds of extra bells and whistles so that they can keep showing profits, and that is the time when I feel I have to run for cover. Or find an alternative search engine provider.
ankitdatashn
Who cares so much, these companies make their own decisions so why think over these matters!
spring567
Microsoft is great ! There is no google if there is no Microsoft .