FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New music player, suggestions?

Freezon
Hey guys.

Well I have been happily using Winamp for years now. I like the features and everything. However I'm still using my very old PC and often (and it seems the longer I leave it open this builds) the memory usage has huge peaks, sometimes 100,000+ as shown in task manager. As well, another bad thing is if I leave Winamp open for prolonged times and then come back to start a new song it sometimes freezes for at even times 20+ seconds before playing the song.

If I would end the process, then start it again I would not have the hang before playing a new song until a good hours later.

Anyways, this is not about Winamp but rather I was showing my problems. I need your suggestion for a new, very lightweight music player that I can use in accordance with other applications. When I want to play full screen games, Winamp is often using too much memory (even on the minimal settings) and dragging down my FPS on games and believe me that is low enough all ready.

What have you used or suggest for a very lightweight music player for my PC? I am running XP Home and have 512MB RAM. I do not care much for features, so long as it has a search option for my music.

Thanks for any responces and god bless.
misterXY
VLC or SongBird? SongBird is really customizable, but VLC is light (and lighted for older versions), and has a playlist you can save. Try thinking about Puppylinux or something light for older pc's. Can save you time and hassle if you just listen too music and browse the web instead of buying anything unnecessary. Depends on the FPS games, but look for VM (virtual machine) ware and see if it's supported, l'd tell you some but not sure which path you're going with this, just give it a thought though.
HamsterMan
I tried songbird because I wanted a player with a rating system, but I switched back to winamp after I discovered that it constantly kept going up to about 300mb of ram usage, which is just unacceptable. It's a bloody music player. Even 50mb ram usage is annoyingly much for one.
misterXY
HamsterMan wrote:
I tried songbird because I wanted a player with a rating system, but I switched back to winamp after I discovered that it constantly kept going up to about 300mb or ram usage, which is just unacceptable. It's a bloody music player. Even 50mb ram usage is annoyingly much for one.

What O/S, CPU and release version? l don't get that problem. But VLC is a great alternative, l believe there is add-ons too have rating system there also, but l don't bother with rating. l just got sick of iTunes, along with anything with iWhateverelse
kacsababa
I suggest foobar2000, it has many plugins too.
driftingfe3s
I'm also for foobar2000. It's light on resources and highly customizable. You should check this previous thread which also discussed the same topic: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-88275.html
ddukki
I've become disillusioned with Media Players. They're all mediocre and lack specific functions. Not that they're horrible, but each one has a key feature that's either under-implemented or not implemented at all. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, no matter what MP you choose, you're going to have to compromise with whatever feature you're willing to lose.
froginabox
I'd go for VLC, it's extremely lightweight (and free!).
misterXY
froginabox wrote:
I'd go for VLC, it's extremely lightweight (and free!).

VLC & linux, way too go.
silverdown
VLC or Klite are the ones I would suggest. They are both small and can be use for other purposes to help the computer as well.