FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Really ugly subjects!

tomede
What subject is most guilty of turning ugly when people try to discuss it?

Top of my list is former couples.

When two people break up I stay out of it. When someone badmouths a former partner I just nod along and pretend to agree. And I certainly don't try to defend the other one in any way. There is two sides to every story like that but the former couple certainly don't wanna hear it.

And I don't watch soccer but I have a feeling things can turn real bad if fans of opposing teams start to go at it.
TrueFact
well, I can say you are a little negative...

Instead of being silent and keep nodding your head, you should word what you think out loud. A former couple always happens and if someone talking to you about, may be he's just looking for some guiding or feel guilty about it and want YOU to ease it on him...
Bluedoll
I agree that there are always two sides and you usually only hear one side however the person is usually talking about it for a reason.

Most of the talk is always mostly for one reason and that is getting closer which will not happen until time and another relationship starts. True it is best not to get 'involved' or to relive all the events for what is over is over?

I do know though that a some people want to put all the blame on the other person and never really learn anything from the failure. It can happen again.
deanhills
tomede wrote:
What subject is most guilty of turning ugly when people try to discuss it?

Top of my list is former couples.

Agreed. And if someone badmouths the former partner, that would give me great reason for concern. It could well be you that person will be talking about in exactly the same way the next time round to another partner. There is always a pattern in this. I would be much more impressed if the other person keeps quiet about his/her previous partner, as that shows how he/she will be treating you if it comes to the same. I believe in confidentiality of a relationship and loyalty, even when you part ways. That says a lot about the character of the person you are getting involved with.
RubySlasher
I think politics is another really ugly subject. It gets people uncomfortable, because it's so easy for people to be so different from each other, even when they share the same qualities and relationships as humans.

Also religion is another very ugly subject. It's extremely similar to politics, and in a way, maybe IT IS politics...

Another sort of ugly subject is musical tastes. People often have very distinct musical tastes, and what one person loves, another person abhors.

These 3 subjects alone probably cause the most fights at the dinner table.
Xanatos
RubySlasher wrote:
I think politics is another really ugly subject. It gets people uncomfortable, because it's so easy for people to be so different from each other, even when they share the same qualities and relationships as humans.

Also religion is another very ugly subject. It's extremely similar to politics, and in a way, maybe IT IS politics...

Another sort of ugly subject is musical tastes. People often have very distinct musical tastes, and what one person loves, another person abhors.

These 3 subjects alone probably cause the most fights at the dinner table.

I think that the ugliest conversation is any one where two people strongly disagree about something. No matter what the subject. This includes politics, relationships, pretty much any topic you can think of as long as they strongly disagree.
deanhills
Xanatos wrote:
I think that the ugliest conversation is any one where two people strongly disagree about something. No matter what the subject. This includes politics, relationships, pretty much any topic you can think of as long as they strongly disagree.

It depends on the attitude of those two people. If the attitude is one of wanting to learn and trying to get a point across that is different it could be a learning experience. But if there is something more deepseated in the two individuals, i.e. they do not like one another, have not respect for the other's different point of view, then yes, it can turn into the ugliest conversation. I like confrontation, but not that kind. I always believe in Mao Tse Tung's maxim of "no struggle, no progress". Conversations are the same. You get confrontational type of conversations where you can learn something, and then the confrontational conversations that I described where two people are more focussed on bashing one another. Agreed in the latter case, it can turn pretty ugly.
atul2242
RubySlasher wrote:

There is politics in religion and the political form of belief is religion.

But things turn Ugliest when the other person does not want to listen .... in any conversation.