FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Redwall Series by Brian Jacques

jylan
I was wondering if anyone here has read the Redwall series by Brian Jacques? More information is on the Redwall website at http://www.redwall.org/. But anyway, the series are completely about animals, centering around Redwall Abbey and the animals that inhabit it. The series only has British animals included, for example Foxes, Stoats, Badgers, Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Squirrels and Adders.
j00gotpwnd
I have read them all up until very recently. I used to love his books to death as I was growing up, and still continued to purchase them as I got older. I noticed that his books are very formulated, but for younger readers they are great! I couldn't read a description of the animals feasts without getting really hungry! If you like those books try the Flying Dutchman series by him as well. Very good.
catscratches
Yes, I loved the books when I read them. It's been a while since then, though.
jylan
Yes j00gotpwnd I always wish that I could be at those feasts as well, sometimes I reckon it would be really cool to be in their world for a while.

I have read the Flying Dutchmen series, they're fantastic as well. Just wish he would put out some more books in that series because at the moment there's only 3. He might want to just leave it at a trilogy though.
Magicman
I loved the Redwall series. I read every book from that series that I could get my hands on. I haven't read anything in that series for a long time but I definitely recommend any of those books to younger readers.
j00gotpwnd
If you guys enjoyed Redwall, read Watership Down. It is an amazing book. I read it my Freshman year of high school, and enjoyed it immensely. I believe there is also a cartoon for it as well (Book is obviously better). Anyway enjoy!
jylan
Thanks for that suggestion j00gotpwnd, I'll order it in from the library next time I'm there Smile.
j00gotpwnd
You definitely should! There is a sequel of sorts to it as well, but I believe they are short stories. Watership Down focuses on rabbits in the world of humans, however they can talk amongst themselves.

I was thinking about it, and I would have to say the Redwall books are what really turned me on to reading. It also opened up my imagination to the world of fantasy novels. They really got me going, and now I really want to write a book of my own (I'm currently studying English in college).
tchaunt
When I was younger, I loved the books. My library didn't have them, so I'd have to buy them each time I saw them. Being a little kid, I didn't have much money to buy the books with. But I read every book in the Redwall series I could. Now, even looking back on them, I see all of these mistakes Jacques made, and it reminds me of the old saying "Ignorance is bliss".
jylan
Hey tchaunt, thanks for contributing to the thread. I was just curious about all the mistakes that Jazques has made, I don't pick up many (or any really), but I'm not looking out for them anyway Very Happy