FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virtual bacteria identification lab

Voodoocat
Here in America we have a large Salmonella outbreak affecting hundreds of people spread across over 40 states. The CDC has linked the Salmonella to one factory in Georgia. How can the CDC tell where the bacteria came from? This site lets your students explore the basics of bacterial identification using virtual DNA sequences obtained via PCR.

One of the difficulties teaching science is making it real. Few students can make the theoretical connections to the real world without lots of help. Exercises like this one should help bridge the gap.

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/vlabs/bacterial_id/index.html
Bikerman
[MOD - deleted the duplicate posting on this - Bikerman]
coolclay
That looks awesome and very applicable I know many schools have problems getting funding for equipment to do these types of science experience on their own. So it's great that there are things like that out there for schools without much funding.
Micro_Man_Sam
That is a really cool virtual lab. I think I'll have my students explore that as a part of their curriculum.

Here is another good online resource I found for students learning about bacteriology. This website has identification keys, methods, and a probibilistic identification database that pretty much covers all bacteria.

MicrobeID - Bacterial Identification

Best Regards,
Sam