FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gamedevelopment

shybovycha
Have enybody ever created his own PC game? Are there any ideas to create such one?
coreymanshack
First you need to decide what language you want to use, what platform you want to target, and what type of game you want to make.

I chose, PHP as my language because I wanted to create a neat web based game(web based being platform), and I chose a fantasy mideval type of game.
ddukki
I used RPGMaker 2003 for a while and created a 4 to 5 hour game. It was fun for a while, but making a game takes a lot out of you in the long run. You might have a great idea in the beginning and your first couple hours might be luscious and gorgeous. But unless you have the creative stamina of the iPod creators [which is a bad analogy, I know], then you'll run out of steam really fast.

I guess I should have gotten a couple of friends to help me in making the game. Development can be a burden going solo, but if you've got friends, I'm sure it's worth the struggle.
enygmasoft
Yes it does take a village to raise a video game this day and age.
wombatrpgs
Yeah, a lot actually. I'd recommend trying out RPGmaker at least, which is a very painless way to start up. You can find the download here at my site:
http://www.wombatrpgs.frih.net/phpBB2/downloads.php?cat=16
There's also support on the forums. Most people around there are very experience in RM2K and should be able to offer a good deal of help.

Aside from that, GameMaker is always nice, and if you're feeling ambitious, skip right to C++ or Java to develop a real game. Of course, if you're interested in making something nice-looking, it's a lot harder than that. If you want to join a devteam or something like that, you're welcome to join.
http://www.wombatrpgs.frih.net/
Faraz
ddukki wrote:
I used RPGMaker 2003 for a while and created a 4 to 5 hour game. It was fun for a while, but making a game takes a lot out of you in the long run. You might have a great idea in the beginning and your first couple hours might be luscious and gorgeous. But unless you have the creative stamina of the iPod creators [which is a bad analogy, I know], then you'll run out of steam really fast.

I guess I should have gotten a couple of friends to help me in making the game. Development can be a burden going solo, but if you've got friends, I'm sure it's worth the struggle.

Great post. Same thing happens with me. I get this cool idea and then I begin to work on it, but after a while I get tired, and then the idea doesn't appeal to me anymore. I always wanted to create a game, and have the skills, but I just don't have patience/stamina. Besides I am also doing a job, so I don't get much time either, but one day...

But I was able to create a Quidditch Simulator and Tennis Simulator in 2006 during summer when I got free time. If anyone wants to try them, let me know, and I will give you the links. =)
Garga
i have never created my own game, but i translate The Sims versions in Turkish.Now lots of players play Turkish The Sims versions...
caoraper
Garga wrote:
i have never created my own game, but i translate The Sims versions in Turkish.Now lots of players play Turkish The Sims versions...

Sim ver Turkish?
just Translate or any change???
Faraz
Garga wrote:

Cool! So you like create a downloadable mod, which converts it into Turkish when installed?
madenotborn
hey Im actually a little interested in this too. does any one know what language a first person shooter might be in. And where i might be able to learn that language, I mean i know there's documentation out there on EVERYTHING but everything i find is so scattered.
LostOverThere
Most fullblown games these days are programmed in C++ or something similar. But of course that requires tens of thousands of lines of code to make.

If you've never made a game before or don't know any programming languages. I would recommend giving GameMaker a go. You'll be able to make some pretty awesome 2D games with it and you don't need to know how to program as such. It can do 3D but not very well. Both Caveman Craig and Spirits of Metropolis were made with GameMaker.
leontius
FPS is not very easy to make because you need to do physics. You will need some 3D game engine such as irrlicht. (I didn't know much about this, sorry.)

It is very natural for people to make games halfway and lose interest in it. What I say is, finish the game because it makes a whole difference if you have gone through making a finished game. The experience you gain will prove to be valuable for your next game project.
catscratches
The most important thing with game developing is to have patience. Don't expect your first game to be a masterpiece... Well, don't really expect it to be good at all! Your first game is probably going to be rather horrible (sorry for saying), but the more you do it, the better they'll be. One of the most interesting aspects of game design is that there's always something new to learn.

Just as some of the others, I'd recommend Game Maker to start out with. It's beginner-friendly and can also be used for more advanced games. It will serve as an introduction to programming and can always be used to explore game idéas and game design.
Spartan
I learned some C++ for this, but never really stuck to the language. I gotta get back to this sometime, and give a game a try. And I really agree with you catscratches, it'll probably suck. As for RPG Maker, it isn't bad for a start. Had a couple friends make an okay game.
wombatrpgs
You can make an okay game in just about anything. It just depends a lots on your patience more than anything. That and sheer determination. Start small.
HamsterMan
I have developed quite a few games for various platforms (see sig), including for Windows/DirectX/console and Adobe flash.

If you want your games to get a lot of publicity I really recommend making it in flash. It's also definitely one of the most versatile and easy to use platforms for creating your first games at. (Want to make multiplayer flash games or flash games with highscores, easy, use Nonoba's API for example)

Ask if you need any help with anything.
blk3
I wonder if there is a fighting game engine out there available for free (open source). Most games like RPG, FPS engines for free are out, how about a fighting game engine that is of high quality say that of Tekken or Street fighter.
wombatrpgs
Don't know how much it is of what you're looking for, but there's always:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N
traxion
i've had once made a pc game ( it was not much)

the idee was the shoot the duck Very Happy

i had several duck running over the screens and i needed to shoot them down with the mouse. if u have any idee hw much that already takes.. damm

a 3d game you cant make in youre own.. and forget to make a COD:4 game or somethink like that.. even 3d wolfenstein is still hard te make these days
wombatrpgs
There are plenty of makers for canned FPS. Anything beyond that is what's difficult.
erlendhg
wombatrpgs wrote:
Yeah, a lot actually. I'd recommend trying out RPGmaker at least, which is a very painless way to start up. You can find the download here at my site:
http://www.wombatrpgs.frih.net/phpBB2/downloads.php?cat=16
There's also support on the forums. Most people around there are very experience in RM2K and should be able to offer a good deal of help.

Aside from that, GameMaker is always nice, and if you're feeling ambitious, skip right to C++ or Java to develop a real game. Of course, if you're interested in making something nice-looking, it's a lot harder than that. If you want to join a devteam or something like that, you're welcome to join.
http://www.wombatrpgs.frih.net/

Thanks for the download link. It will be nice to try out RPGmaker, since I have heard a little bit about it.
Personally, I have never made any real games (other than a really tragic judo game made with GameMaker), but I am working on a sudoku application Smile
wombatrpgs
That link may have been broken. Try now.
rayxzero
RPG Maker VX is the newest version of Enterbrain RPG Maker. You can still create game using a drag and drop features. But if you like to make more advance featured game you should also learn how to write Ruby script. http://www.rpgmakervx.com/

If you are a hardcore programmer you can use some opensource graphics engine that can be find from the internet like IRRLICHT, CRYSTAL SPACE or OGRE 3D.
wombatrpgs
If you are a "hard core programmer" you'd scoff at an engine... I'd be fine with VX if all games made with it didn't look and feel identical.
rayxzero
wombatrpgs wrote:
If you are a "hard core programmer" you'd scoff at an engine... I'd be fine with VX if all games made with it didn't look and feel identical.

Maybe some game look identical because they all using the same default templates provided by VX.
wombatrpgs
Not that so much as the same ugly chibi style present in the RTP is replicated in pretty much all original graphics anyway...
amperx
ive created games on the mobile phone, since thats what im working on, and all that i can advise is that, if your planning to go solo on developing it, you better have the balls and proper planning, and determination to do it, otherwise you'll just end up not finishing by getting bored, but as always, have a buddy with you doing it or be in a group, alot of other ideas will pop up, and make game creation enjoyable Very Happy
rayxzero
Just do the basic games before jumping on a large complex one. Smile
Dementei

I recommend trying out Source SDK (Software Development Kit), comes when you buy Half-life 2, which is available on Steam. I make maps with Valve Hammer Editor that comes with Source SDK. But you can also make third party mods as well, which there are many many of. Anyone that is working on a mod posts their game on ModDB. Check out all of the Half-life 2 mods here and also at http://hl2mods.co.uk/. It's a good place to start, you can work off of the entire HL2 base code even.

Another engine to use is Unreal Engine 3, which also has an SDK: UDK. It's the most widely used engine for a lot of games out there, so many devs use it. UDK is a little harder to use IMO. Source is a lot easier to use, and you can make some really beautiful maps with it. UDK has more options and is more professional, but to start out SDK is the way to go.

Both of these engines are for first person shooters, but you will see that they can be used for much much more, there's a lot of potential for both, so try em out. (UDK is completely free, but if you buy HL2 you'll see Source SDK in the Tools section on Steam.)
wombatrpgs
Huh... But those are all for creating add-ons to existing games, right? Though I suppose total modification could be considered a different game, though the mechanics would essentially be identical.
catscratches
The Unreal Development Kit is not about add-ons. It is about creating standalone games. It only recently turned free. Unfortunately, you have to have a really good computer to handle it.

As for the Source SDK, I have no idéa.
Dementei
I was just throwin' those out there.
Thought they belonged in the thread named Game development, someone would find useful.
It's good place to start and you can really learn a lot.

Yea, UDK will require a good amount of processing and graphic power. It's a mighty fine engine..you can see what many game dev's had to go through when making a map. Source design is much more simple and that's why I like it better, still can look as great as Unreal too..sometimes.
wombatrpgs
Yeah, I do wish this thread was more active... But thanks for the links, I might actually try some stuff when I get over my 2D laziness.
rayxzero
Is someone here making old school Japanese RPG Style games using Irrlicht Engine. I was trying to make this kind of game with bird eye view camera and rendered in 3D but i think I need help, I'm planning also on sharing my source code.
Dementei
rayxzero wrote:
Is someone here making old school Japanese RPG Style games using Irrlicht Engine. I was trying to make this kind of game with bird eye view camera and rendered in 3D but i think I need help, I'm planning also on sharing my source code.

Oh really..I could maybe help with level design, depending on the program used to make the levels. It probably uses Blender..which is just too complex for me to use Sad
rayxzero
Dementei wrote:
rayxzero wrote:

Oh really..I could maybe help with level design, depending on the program used to make the levels. It probably uses Blender..which is just too complex for me to use Sad

The engine i tried to make based on irrlicht graphics engine was still in early stage with all functionality exposed on LUA script. I'm also trying to imitate the GUI editor of RPG Maker by enterbrain. Yes i really need help on level design because I'm not good at it. Maybe i can send you the screenshot of the editor.
Dementei
rayxzero wrote:
Dementei wrote:
rayxzero wrote:

The engine i tried to make based on irrlicht graphics engine was still in early stage with all functionality exposed on LUA script. I'm also trying to imitate the GUI editor of RPG Maker by enterbrain. Yes i really need help on level design because I'm not good at it. Maybe i can send you the screenshot of the editor.

Yes, that'll do Very Happy
rayxzero
Dementei wrote:
rayxzero wrote:
Dementei wrote:
rayxzero wrote:

You can find some of my screen shots at my web page. (http://rayxproject.frihost.org/)
It is really hard to make game tools when you are a beginner self learning game programmer. Very Happy
Dementei
rayxzero wrote:
Dementei wrote:
rayxzero wrote:
Dementei wrote:
rayxzero wrote:

You can find some of my screen shots at my web page. (http://gproject.frihost.org/)
It is really hard to make game tools when you are a beginner self learning game programmer. Very Happy

Oh I see so it's using RPGMaker eh, I wish it were more like this though.
rayxzero
That's too advance for me to make. Laughing
wombatrpgs
rayxzero wrote:

Very true. It's probably best to just work with stuff other people have made to help out. Using RPGmaker or its ilk really does not help you. Trust me. I started in with RM2K when it came out and now I still use it, I just have to work really hard to get around the limitations. Starting out using libraries and stuff is a much better plan.
Alerrandre
I´m studyingcomputer graphics 3 years,and i can tell you it´s not easy,you canot wake up and say ( ok i will do my game today ),you can think and dream,but its not easy my friend.

Bye.
rayxzero
Alerrandre wrote:
I´m studying computer graphics 3 years,and i can tell you it´s not easy,you canot wake up and say ( ok i will do my game today ),you can think and dream,but its not easy my friend.

Bye.

True, that's why i using API/SDK created by other to test my programming skills on game. I'm not really making game with advance graphics like the game release today, I'm making a simple game and make used the capability of the library I choose to use. I'm doing it just for hobby and not as profession. Very Happy
wombatrpgs
rayxzero wrote:
True, that's why i using API/SDK created by other to test my programming skills on game. I'm not really making game with advance graphics like the game release today, I'm making a simple game and make used the capability of the library I choose to use. I'm doing it just for hobby and not as profession. Very Happy

That is a very good idea. I have a few friends who majored in Game Design and Engineering. They're currently Customer Service Engineers at the local Target.
Cheeldash
shybovycha wrote:
Have enybody ever created his own PC game? Are there any ideas to create such one?

I'm making a browser game, the real limit you have when creating a game are patience and fantasy. You must keep in mind that the graphic it's not so important, it is enough to have a simple but nice graphic.
rayxzero
Cheeldash wrote:
shybovycha wrote:

I'm making a browser game, the real limit you have when creating a game are patience and fantasy. You must keep in mind that the graphic it's not so important, it is enough to have a simple but nice graphic.

What kind of browser game you are creating?
LostOverThere
rayxzero wrote:
Cheeldash wrote:
shybovycha wrote:

Moreover, what software are you using to make it? Is this a Flash game?
rayxzero
I think making a browser game have a limited software be use like Flash, Applet. Flash is the most popular.
paolord
I've made games using Flash and AS3. Right now I'm making social game using flash, PHP, MySQL. Its a lot like mybrute. Its kind of a personal project. If you want to start making games you may want to study basic programming first. Flash and AS3 is easy to use but there are lots of other free game development libraries out there. You can enter these names in your favorite search engine: Adobe flash, SDL, SFML, BlitzBasic, DarkBasic, love2d, scirra-construct, game maker, OpenGL (pretty advanced stuff, probably the best among these), multimedia fusion. You may also want to about DirectX and XNA, both from microsoft.

Useful tip: you won't be able to make a game like kane's wrath or modern warfare 2. So start by making your own versions of old school games like arcanoid, pacman, sobokan, tetris, platformers and even you can even learn a lot from making a tic-tac-toe game. You'll learn a lot of principles and techniques from making these.

like what confucius said: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Cheeldash
LostOverThere wrote:
rayxzero wrote:

Moreover, what software are you using to make it? Is this a Flash game?

A turn-based strategic fantasy browser game. It's written in python and uses MySQL as database, no flash, no javascript.
I'm using GIMP and Geany as IDE, but any drawing software or text editor will do.
Flakky
catscratches wrote:
The Unreal Development Kit is not about add-ons. It is about creating standalone games. It only recently turned free. Unfortunately, you have to have a really good computer to handle it.

As for the Source SDK, I have no idéa.
For making your own Source games I thought you needed one Source game (Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, Days of Defeat) to be able to make and play Source games.

The UDK is much harder to my understanding (for coding, as I never did that) but mapping is much easier for me using UE. Source mapping is more difficult to learn but once you get the basics you can't improve. UDK is easy to learn and has a lot more possibilities.

This is all my opinion of course. I just prefer BSP cutting, UE textures utility and materials and model import.
catscratches
Flakky wrote:
For making your own Source games I thought you needed one Source game (Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, Days of Defeat) to be able to make and play Source games.
Correct.

More info on the Source engine is available here.
saratdear
There is a software called 3d RAD, for people who are interested. Not for hard core game makers, it is good for people who are starting out.
wombatrpgs
Checked the site, looks pretty good as an ease into 3d actually.
LostOverThere
I never understood the appeal of individuals making 3D games. I've always thought for 1-man indie teams, 2D titles were so much better.

Although, maybe that's just me. Smile
rayxzero
wombatrpgs wrote:
Checked the site, looks pretty good as an ease into 3d actually.

What site ?
catscratches
LostOverThere wrote:
I never understood the appeal of individuals making 3D games. I've always thought for 1-man indie teams, 2D titles were so much better.

3D offers many possibilities that 2D can't offer.
LostOverThere
catscratches wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

3D offers many possibilities that 2D can't offer.

But for super small indie developers it's just another hurdle and makes it even harder to make a good title, as programming, design and visuals instantly become far more difficult.
catscratches
Depends what concept you're trying to visualize. Some concepts might be very difficult/almost impossible to realize in 2D. Whereas 2D still is significantly easier than 3D, new development tools make it possible even for indie developers to make 3D games without too much problems.

For instance, check out Unity.
michaelagustin
It is possible to create your own pc if you have resources. the Only thing is that, You need Time plus Money.
LostOverThere
michaelagustin wrote:
It is possible to create your own pc if you have resources. the Only thing is that, You need Time plus Money.

I assume you mean PC games? If so, then you don't really need money at all. There are plenty of free game engines, such as GameMaker and PyGame. Both which can produce excellent results.
wombatrpgs
Well, if he's referring to commerical games, having monetary backing is a significant boost... Production of amateur console games I agree would almost certainly take financial investment, at least large-scale ones.
LostOverThere
wombatrpgs wrote:
Well, if he's referring to commerical games, having monetary backing is a significant boost... Production of amateur console games I agree would almost certainly take financial investment, at least large-scale ones.

Oh yes, I absolutely agree here. Smile