FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Video game tester ?

pll
Is there anyone doing this ?

I was called few days ago from a big company of video games here to test our their games. I don't know if I should say yes or no.
Anything to say about that?
Ghost Rider103
It's really up to you, and none of us here can really make the decision for you and guarantee that you will be happy with it.

Is this something you want to do for the rest of your life? Think about the future. How lnog will you have to do this job? Is it going to be a full time job, and is this really the road you want to go down for a career?

Assuming that you are around 20, you will have to work for another 40 or 50 years. Do you really want to spend all that time playing games? If you do, then I say go for it. If you are unsure, then it's really a 50 50 deal. You could take up the job, and then a few years later realize it's not what you want to do. But then you have a few years experience in playing games for a living, so that would be a plus, but then you don't want to do it anymore, so you would have wasted your experience time doing something that you won't be doing full time.

It's all about what you want to do.

I personally wouldn't, but this is because I have been addicted to games before when I was younger, and I know what it does to you. Your health can decrease, and there are many health problems you can get by playing games for so long if you get addicted. I eventually sold my gaming consoles, and no longer have interest in games because I know what it did to me, and I am much happier now.

But that may not be the case with you, so it's your decision.

Good luck.
Xanatos
pll wrote:

I was called few days ago from a big company of video games here to test our their games. I don't know if I should say yes or no.

Assuming that this is a long term job offer you would need to wonder if you have any skills that would eventually allow yourself to move up in the company. Otherwise, as Ghost Rider pointed out, you had better be happy doing testing for the rest of your life and/or spending a few years doing something you dont enjoy.
pll
wohh!!

I'm 17 years old, and I do NOT want to spend my life there (except if there would be move up opportunities in the company).
I was asking about the kind of job it is... and not the possibilities it could give.
I wanted to know if someone did that and actually liked his/her experience ?
Afaceinthematrix
I personally wouldn't take the opportunity because I do not like playing video games. If I did like playing video games, then I would take the job but would not pursue it as a career. I would take it so that I had an income, but I would leave the second something better comes along. It'd probably be a real low stress job, although you would probably be expected to have some real good critiques.
Liques
Someone want to test my game? heheh Very Happy

I ever thinked better to make games then play. ^^
wab11287
Being a professional video game tester is obviously great. You get to play the newest video games and you get paid to do so. Honestly, what more could any gamer ask for? However, the big questions is: how much does a video game tester get paid? After all, if the pay isn't any good, why would a person continue in that line of work?

The average video game tester salary can range from 15-20 thousand dollars per year all the way up to 80-100+ thousand per year. How much a game tester makes is directly related to how many jobs he gets as well as what developers hire him. However, since most game testers work on a job by job basis and not on a contractual salary, let's break down the yearly figure into an hourly and a weekly figure.

Game testers are typically paid $8-20 per hour, depending on their level of experience. For this example, let's take the middle ground and go with $15 per hour for a mid-level tester. Game testers tend to put in a lot of hours each week (40 to 50+), which is usually due to a developer's inflexible deadlines. With that being said, let's say the tester works the typically minimum (40 hours) and is paid the aforementioned $15 per hour of testing work. 40 hours x $15 is a weekly paycheck of $600 dollars, assuming the tester were to work that many hours each week. Sounds like a nice paycheck, right? You bet it does, and most gamers would be thrilled to cash a check like that every week.

The big downside to being a video game tester, as mentioned above, is that your career progresses on a per job basis. You won't get a testing job every month, nor will you get one every week. As a matter of fact, it is fairly common to have a long wait in between many of your testing jobs. So, unless you are at the top of your game and tons of game developers know of you, be prepared to wait in line like all the rest. Fortunately for you though, there is a way to increase the amount of job openings that are available to you, and it's known as networking. To read an article about video game tester networking
GoldenEagle
I also heard that being a video game tester is not very fun. I heard that the first times you play a level is pretty fun, but playing the same level 50-70 times looking for glitches and texture popping becomes pretty boring and mentally painful. Also, it's hard to really justify how "good" you are to companies in order to acquire future work. So while the opportunity to play video games for money sounds like a blast to do, it seems the old adage of a job eventually becoming a job and work holds true.
Radar
Yeah. I've heard that being a game tester involves 'Run into that wall', 'Okay, run into that wall' and so on. The tendium of testing to run through every possibility, rather than the fun of going crazy in a game and getting paid for it.
Adiiforu
say yes but discuss the terms,
and salary before hand also talk abt the increments and perks
Navigator
I would say yes, but covering your back with questions about salary, working hours, holidays, benefits etc. This because it is a common practice for companies to hire students to save some money.

On the other hand, why not do it? I mean, it sounds fun and you can learn a lot and on top of that you are 17, the "do I want to do this for the rest of my life?" question should not be considered as you are yet to enter the productive stage of your life, maybe you will like it, maybe you wont, but you will never know if you don't try.
Ryox
A video game tester is truely fun but than again. As a Previous poster said, It gets quite painful when you have to replay the same level all over again just trying to look for glitches, bugs and that sort of stuff..

It is fun on the other hand to help out testing video games because It's a good experience to know.

I would truly want to be one someday because I just love how fixing things works in my kind of situation anywhere. lol
lrj945
Wow ! Being a video game tester sounds cool. It means that you can participate in the development of the video game.
Ryox
lrj945 wrote:
Wow ! Being a video game tester sounds cool. It means that you can participate in the development of the video game.

Testing out games is really nice but when you have to replay the same thing over and over, it does get tiring and boring after awhile. Like when you play 1 to 10 in a MMORPG 80 thousand times to search for glitches, bugs and errors which is alot harder than you should think! hahaha
rajpk
if you are game lover you can
in testing you have to play same game again and again
and
have to find erros in games
so finding error will be fun for you
thanks
tecwebgames
pll wrote:

*-* not not...
tecwebgames
Ryox wrote:
lrj945 wrote:

Testing out games is really nice but when you have to replay the same thing over and over, it does get tiring and boring after awhile. Like when you play 1 to 10 in a MMORPG 80 thousand times to search for glitches, bugs and errors which is alot harder than you should think! hahaha

Correct,,,
tecwebgames
lrj945 wrote:

=] kkkk
tecwebgames
GoldenEagle wrote:
I also heard that being a video game tester is not very fun. I heard that the first times you play a level is pretty fun, but playing the same level 50-70 times looking for glitches and texture popping becomes pretty boring and mentally painful. Also, it's hard to really justify how "good" you are to companies in order to acquire future work. So while the opportunity to play video games for money sounds like a blast to do, it seems the old adage of a job eventually becoming a job and work holds true.

Stop...is false idea
tecwebgames
pll wrote:

Yes..is this ******