FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server 2 MySQL timeouts

AftershockVibe
Server 2 (frih.net) is incredibly slow... mySQL DB abuse.

Code:
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in <filename stripped> on line 41

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in <filename stripped> on line 42
<filename stripped> on line 431

I appreciate this is par for the course with free hosting and hitting refresh usually results in success (even if it's sluggish). However, at a previous host I used (waaay back) they had this problem too.

It tended to be caused by people new to PHP using mysql_connect() and then not using mysql_close(). I'm not sure how easy it would to implement a shorter timeout or edumacate the worst offenders, should it be possible to investigate and assuming this is the cause?
Bondings
These forums are on the same server. I'm trying to find the cause of the problem. The point is that usually after a minute of problems all appears very quick and normal. It's really weird.
AftershockVibe
Hmm... that is a bit weird. It is possible that it's being caused as seen at my old host.

If someone has a script with a loop using mysql_connect() and doesn't ensure that they use mysql_close() afterward then the database would be inaccessible until they timed out. Given that free sites get few hits, this would cause apparently sporadic problems then revert to being fine until that site got a hit again

Of course, I'm no database admin. There may well be 50,000 other possible explanations.
apple
I was about to ask about this also.

I been getting the same type of message.

Even just now when I tried to reply to this post I got a message, tho different, I think it might be noteworthy.

Quote:
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
loyal
Peace.

I'd like to point out that this problem is affecting websites and frihost forums too quite badly. It took me tens minute of refresh to get onto this board. Several refreshes to post a response on a topic. Occasionally my website forums and frihost forums say they cannot connect to the database.

Both external server status check websites (http://www.bierkip.nl/frih/servers.php and http://frihost-server-status.us.to/) only rarely identify that mysql is down.

Thanks in advance. Good luck to everyone trying to fix this problem.
Bondings
I have changed some mysql settings. I hope this will help a bit. Please report if the problem still occurs.