FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ZoneAlarm Net Work problems.

Possum
Hi

I use the Windows Firewall and dumped Zonealarm as it stopped my network from working. Has anyone else had this problem with Zonealarm.

If you did how did you fix these problems.

Cheers Possum..
badai
if you mean zonealarm prevent you from seeing other computer or other computer cannot connect to you, you should allow file and printer sharing in zonealarm.

btw, i think windows firewall (combine with any antivirus) should be good enough for everybody.
Studio Madcrow
badai wrote:
if you mean zonealarm prevent you from seeing other computer or other computer cannot connect to you, you should allow file and printer sharing in zonealarm.

btw, i think windows firewall (combine with any antivirus) should be good enough for everybody.

Heck, if you're sitting behind a router, you can even dump Windows Firewall, as the router takes care of that stuff on its own. Firewalls are only really useful if you have an internet connection that's directly "visible" to the internet as a whole or if you connect to the internet through a large LAN (like at a university campus) where you can't trust all the other machines on the local network.
badai
"but there's little red icon on my screen telling me firewall is not on...."

Studio Madcrow wrote:
badai wrote:

Heck, if you're sitting behind a router, you can even dump Windows Firewall, as the router takes care of that stuff on its own. Firewalls are only really useful if you have an internet connection that's directly "visible" to the internet as a whole or if you connect to the internet through a large LAN (like at a university campus) where you can't trust all the other machines on the local network.
Possum
Thx.. I have a D-Link DSL 502 Modem.. Which is a router too ( I think) So I really dont need ZoneAlarm according to Studio Madcrow. Which I believe to be true...

XP firewall is on

Have decided to ditch ZoneAlarm

thx
thnn
I had ZoneAlarm installed, and had serious problems with it. It was stopping my computer from hibernating, going into stand by, shutting down, and even causing long start up delays, so I decided to get rid of it again.

You D-Link 502 is indeed a router, and it does have a firewall built into it. One thing to be aware of is that with the D-Link 502, newer firmware meant that it will respond to pings instead of appearing to not exist as the old firmware did. I am not sure why this happens, but it may have been fixed in the GEN-II version of the router.
Possum
I'm not happy with responding to Pings to Router and will investigate.

Thank You
thnn
I should actually clarify that, on the GRC Shields up test, it reports the ports as being closed, not stealth as it used it.