FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Easy question about Npp++ and char encoding

Da Rossa
Since some recent version, the program is offered in two different folders: Ansi and Unicode. I never understood a thing about character encoding. So, which one should I pick? I'm running Windows XP SP3. What else do you need to know?
badai
you need to know what character set you are using. if you live in english speaking country, ansi is enough, but if you are in some european country like norway, or in china, you must use unicode because it support more than 256 characters.

ansi only support 256 characters while unicode allowed for up to 65,536 different characters, is more complex and it is not implemented on many operating systems.

it seem that ansi should be good enough if you don't need those extra characters, right?

wrong!!!

from windows NT onward (including your XP SP3), the kernel is written in unicode, and therefore only understands unicode. when an ansi program runs on windows, the OS must convert the strings from ansi to unicode. this takes both time to convert everything, and memory to store both copies (asci and unicode). whereas a unicode program has straight access to the kernel and is faster. now on modern computers running at gigahertz speeds and having hundreds of megs of RAM this speed difference is minimal, but it does exist. the simple fact remains, the same program running as either ansi or unicode, the unicode version will always run faster.

and this simple fact make you wonder why those ansi version (for windows NT and above) still exist. what's wrong with programmers nowdays?
Da Rossa
Thanks, so, provided I use Windows XP SP3 and Portuguese-Brazilian language, that needs accents and the , it's right to conclude that the right call is the unicode, yeah?
Thanks for this explanation! God be with you! Smile
Stubru Freak
Da Rossa wrote:
Thanks, so, provided I use Windows XP SP3 and Portuguese-Brazilian language, that needs accents and the , it's right to conclude that the right call is the unicode, yeah?
Thanks for this explanation! God be with you! Smile

You can safely assume that when you speak any language except English, you should never ever go for ANSI. The A means American after all.
Da Rossa
Thanks again for that detail! Smile
But one curiosity: not even British English? (B, not A... Razz)
Stubru Freak
Da Rossa wrote:

The British are just lucky they have the same language!
Da Rossa
Stubru Freak wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

The British are just lucky they have the same language!

Hehe yeah
But are the British lucky for having the same language than the Americans or otherwise? Very Happy