FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's an antivirus?

Diablosblizz
Now, don't get me wrong, I know what an Antivirus is. Today, you have no choice to not know what one is. They're needed everywhere, and yes even on a Mac. Except for this one occasion. Well, you might be wondering what the $#%# I am talking about, but I am not running an antivirus right now, and I am 99.99% secure from rouges, malware, spyware ANYTHING. With simply one program, Sand-Boxie, every program that you tell to run inside will run in a Sandbox, nothing can get in and nothing can get out (unless requested).

http://xs136.xs.to/xs136/09050/rolled340.jpg

That's my system, with about 8 icons in the system-tray telling me that I need to "buy their software." Windows Defender says I have a few problems, and I have NOD32 disabled for the meantime. I sort of just wanted to show you how this really is cool, because with one click of a button I am clean as a whistle. Everything that was just on my computer, is now gone. For more information, watch my horrible quality video on YouTube:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtWIYUYuc4 (there is a higher quality in the desc if you really want to watch).

I'd like to know what your oppinion on this is, will these so called Sandbox programs actually faze out antiviruses? In my opinion, no because you'd have to run everything (even explorer.exe, which yes is possible) in a Sandbox.

Watch the video for more information, and tel me what you really think!

Thanks!
jsfdan
What I really think:
Informative video.
Neat Design.
Clear Instructions.
Job Well Done.

Bullet points get it done.

(But really, antiviruses are needed EVERYWHERE.)
Diablosblizz
Lol, what do you think about the idea of Sandboxes?
coreymanshack
Diablosblizz wrote:
Lol, what do you think about the idea of Sandboxes?

I think this sandbox is a little like windows defender. Windows defender asks you every five seconds if you want this or that to run. If they made windows defender ask you as much as your "sandbox" if you wanted to run things, computer iliterate people would not want to buy a machine with a microsoft operating system on it.
Diablosblizz
I think you have that mixed up with User Account Control, that's the only thing that I've seen that constantly naggs you. Only thing that Windows Defender asks you for is if you want things to get installed to services, startup and/or drivers. I think that's good to have it monitoring the Windows files. UAC on the other hand....
coreymanshack
Diablosblizz wrote:
I think you have that mixed up with User Account Control, that's the only thing that I've seen that constantly naggs you. Only thing that Windows Defender asks you for is if you want things to get installed to services, startup and/or drivers. I think that's good to have it monitoring the Windows files. UAC on the other hand....

Oh yeah, UAC, got that mixed up there.
shybovycha
Antivirus...
1) If using Windows, I prefer Kaspersky (the best protection, I've ever seen!)
2) Use Linux. NO ANTIVIRS NEEDED.
jsarnold
On a side note, with reference to the screenshot you included in your first post...

Wow - you have to admire the hard work those support guys at IE-Security are working. Their support hours are displayed as being 27x7.

Now, I would definitely be interested in meeting a hacker who's managed to hack time, overclock it, and get an extra 3 hours a day out of it.