FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should I get my neighbor's cat fixed?

furtasacra
Okay. I've got this cat at my house all the time. I don't know who he belongs to, but I figure he has a home because he's clean, healthy and extremely friendly. I never feed him, and he's not my cat, but HE thinks he owns ME, and he comes over to visit almost every day and stalks around the house yelling his fool head off ("Mrow? Mrow? Mrow! Yarrrhhhh! Mrow? Mrow!...") until I come out and pet him. He's a loudmouth, but he's adorable. White with orange patches, and big, sad, lime-green eyes.

I also have guests over frequently, and naturally, they fawn all over him because even though he's a big, beefy monster of a cat, he has a very sweet disposition and he's almost irritatingly cute.

Basically, he knows he can come over here and get petted and fussed over.

But that's not the problem. He has balls. Big, fluffy orange balls. He originally came around trying to get some when my little girl cat was in heat, but he just likes it over here, and has kept hanging out even after she was no longer in heat, and after I got her spayed.

However, this morning he was over here, chasing a female stray cat around my yard. He's cute, but not purebred or fancy or valuable, and I'm thinking about kidnapping him and taking him to the free spay/neuter clinic, because there's too many feral cats in the neighborhood. Feral cats with orange patches. I figure even ONE less horny male cat will eventually help reduce their numbers.

So I guess my question is, if you have a non-neutered male cat and let him roam free, then he disappears for a few days and shows back up with no balls, would you be ticked off?
erlendhg
Well, if that was my cat, I wouldn't actually fancy that a neighbor of mine got his ball cutted off Wink
But then, I don't have a cat.
badai
if you're not sure anybody own that cat, you shouldn't do it.

be a good neighbor.
PennyLane
If your neighbour lets his cat running around free like that I think he mustn't fuss about you getting his cat neutered... It's his responsibility as owner, but this is a "hobo" cat. Get him neutered so he leaves the other cats alone.
kriszara
Have you asked your neighbors if they own the cat or know who owns it?
Tell your neighbors that you would like to get this guy fixed then wait a week and see if anyone objects.
I was adopted by a Mama cat and her four kittens and as soon as they were weaned I got them all fixed, so I support your instinct to get him fixed.

Helios' edit: please use your signature space in your profile for signatures...
RubySlasher
You know what. Volunteers go out and get 'feral' cats fixed all the time, and then release them in the same neighborhood they were found in– just in case they had a home beforehand.

Just think of yourself as a volunteer.

(I think the term of this is called Spay and Release. Maybe you could find some programs in your area that could do it for you.)
dude_xyx
I don't think it would matter much to his owner since he let him to go around his own. Also no one can tell that you did it anyway. Sometime I hate to hear at night is those cat romance.
standready
I say good for you. It's owner clearly does not care since cat is roaming. If owner complains about the cat being fixed, offer to fix owner as well. Laughing
sapphy
Lol! Big, furry, orange balls. :P Well, I suppose that if it were my cat, it would have been neutered a while ago, but I don't know, are you sure that the cat is actually owned by someone? If it's not, I would probably neuter it and take it away with me. Does it have a collar? If it does, may be you could ask the owner to neuter and say that it is causing trouble since it is horny and chasing female cats everywhere. :P I guess that you shouldn't get them chopped off without the owner's consent. May be he can't afford for them to be cut, or may be he is raising a kitty family?
Wolf1918
My vote is to go ahead and kidnap him and have him fixed. It's an easy operation for a male cat, (easier than for females anyway). There will be no chance of him developing testicular cancer, it will help reduce the population, it will help eliminate his tendency to fight with other male cats and IMHO a responsible owner shouldn't be letting his animals roam all over the neighborhood anyway. Since we are friends, I know you live on a quiet street, but there is also the possibility of the cat being hit by a car, which is why my cats don't roam. When I lived on a farm at the end of a mile long dirt road, it didn't matter as much, but in the 'burbs, there's always that chance. And cats can roam far and there is a very busy main street just a couple of blocks away.

As for someone wanting to raise a litter of cute little kittens, that's OK I guess, IF you have lifetime homes lined up for all of them in advance, but it's better to go to a shelter and get an unwanted kitten that's facing being put to sleep if it's not adopted than to raise even more.

Anyway, just my 2 cents,
Chad Very Happy
jabce85
it does seem like a good idea to kidnap him and have him neutered, but you always have to wonder if someone would actually be stupid enough to try to force a lawsuit on you because of it....
bigt
erlendhg wrote:
Well, if that was my cat, I wouldn't actually fancy that a neighbor of mine got his ball cutted off Wink
But then, I don't have a cat.

I agree. As others have said, it's not your place have someone's cat neutered. It sounds like it's owners, if it has any, are ignorant, lazy, irresponsible or some of the above. They will probably be ok with it, but you have to ASK. And if they're just lazy, they shouldn't be silly about it and they should just let you go take care of it.
soljarag
haha.. when bob barker says "Help control the pet population; have your pet spayed or neutered."

the key word is YOUR
furtasacra
I have NO EARTHLY IDEA who this cat belongs to. There actually is a "trap and fix" program in my neighborhood. All I have to do is stuff him in a kitty carrier and take him to the clinic, and they will not only cut the nuts off "Punkinhead" but give him rabies and distemper shots, for free.

He's obviously not feral, but he's not particularly well cared for, either. He showed up recently hoarse and coughing after some asshat flea-powdered him within an inch of his life, no doubt before letting him spend the night in the house during the last hard freeze. Like he would even HAVE fleas in this weather.

Poor thing, I patted him on the head and clouds of flea powder started poofing out of his fur; he started sneezing, and gave me this incredibly pitiful look out of his watery, irritated eyes.

I swear I think somebody took this friendly, trusting creature, put him in a bag and gave him the Shake-N--Bake treatment. With flea powder.

He's not a pork chop, dammit, he's a cat, and an unusually sweet, friendly cat, particularly considering that he has gigantic testicles (that need to be removed).

My little girlie cat has completely recovered and healed from her (free) hysterectomy, so I think I will be taking Mister Fluffy Orange Balls in for nutting, ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback, people. I know it's not nice to have surgery done on an animal without the owners permission, but who really owns a cat? People don't own cats, cats own people, and this cat thinks he owns me.
deanhills
furtasacra wrote:
So I guess my question is, if you have a non-neutered male cat and let him roam free, then he disappears for a few days and shows back up with no balls, would you be ticked off?

I like this story, I think you mentioned somewhere (if I am not mistaken) that you are also a writer so maybe you can combine the two! If you have built up this loving relationship with this guy cat, and his owner has not clicked about his popularity so far, then I can't see how the owner could ever figure out that you were the one who committed the deed. Who knows, perhaps the owner would be most grateful to you. I think you would be doing the community a great favour. Go ahead!

Think it would make a beautiful story to kids too. As well as adults come to think about it Smile
Craeft
Well, there are a couple options you have:

1: Call animal control. They will take the cat to a shelter and will give the owners a certain amount of time to pick up the cat. If the cat is not picked up, they will neuter the cat and charge the 'new owners' for the neutering.

2: Most areas in the U.S. have a program called SNAP (or variation there of). It stands for "Spay or Neuter All Pets". You can go to your local humane society and get a SNAP card. When you take the cat into the vet, it will cost you astronomically less than it would without the card. If the cat has been around your place that long, and you can take care of the cat, and you take it in to get it neutered at that point... it pretty much becomes your cat.

3: Do nothing in terms of neutering it. Take the cat in and post notifications of "finding a cat". If no one approaches you within a reasonable amount of time (I would say a month should suffice), then go ahead and take it in to get it neutered. This is probably your best option as it lets you give the rightful owners some time to call/come over to retrieve their pet.

Is there a collar on the cat at all? Any form of ID... anything? You can also take the cat into the vet, tell them that the cat has been floating around your property and that you want to see if it had been microchipped. At no cost to you, they will pull out their little scanner, run it along the back of the cat's neck, and if it had been chipped, it will tell you the address, phone number, and names of the rightful owners.
furtasacra
My "Little Miss Chloe, Mistress of All That She Can See" has duly lodged her complaint against the tall, lanky orange and white cat who shall be named Punkinhead for the rest of these proceedings.

Punkinhead appears to be physically healthy and well-fed, but he still comes to my house, daily, squalling for attention. I mean, he sits in my yard, howling, screeching, and yodeling until somebody pets him.

He's a big loudmouth lovemuffin. I think it is my civic duty to get this cat nutted, I'm just worried about Cloekins doing something awful.
deanhills
furtasacra wrote:
My "Little Miss Chloe, Mistress of All That She Can See" has duly lodged her complaint against the tall, lanky orange and white cat who shall be named Punkinhead for the rest of these proceedings.

Punkinhead appears to be physically healthy and well-fed, but he still comes to my house, daily, squalling for attention. I mean, he sits in my yard, howling, screeching, and yodeling until somebody pets him.

He's a big loudmouth lovemuffin. I think it is my civic duty to get this cat nutted, I'm just worried about Cloekins doing something awful.

Well maybe if he is de-nutted, the howling will change into a whisper, he will loose his appetite and maybe not sit in your yard anymore .... Laughing
Crinoid
At least you can check the web what will be legal consequences for you, if animal belong to somebody else.
Or call animal shelter, they may know.
Craeft
Crinoid wrote:
At least you can check the web what will be legal consequences for you, if animal belong to somebody else.
Or call animal shelter, they may know.

If it has no collar or ID and has been hanging around, legally it is considered a "stray"... morally, the checks would be a good thing.
furtasacra
Update: I checked with the spay/neuter clinic. Since "Punkinhead" is illegally roaming without a collar, it is perfectly legal for me to take him in for shots and neutering without the permission of his theoretical and unknown owner, and I cannot be sued.

I am making arrangements ASAP. Hell, I might put a collar on him and start feeding him, he's over here all the time and answers to the nickname I gave him, anyway!
PatTheGreat42
You shouldn't do that to someone else's cat. But maybe you could put up "FOUND" posters, see if the actual owners claim him, and then yell at them loudly. And demand reward money.
deanhills
furtasacra wrote:
Update: I checked with the spay/neuter clinic. Since "Punkinhead" is illegally roaming without a collar, it is perfectly legal for me to take him in for shots and neutering without the permission of his theoretical and unknown owner, and I cannot be sued.

I am making arrangements ASAP. Hell, I might put a collar on him and start feeding him, he's over here all the time and answers to the nickname I gave him, anyway!
Sounds as though you will be doing the neighbourhood a great favour too. Smile
furtasacra
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
You shouldn't do that to someone else's cat. But maybe you could put up "FOUND" posters, see if the actual owners claim him, and then yell at them loudly. And demand reward money.

He's not lost, trust me. I see him roaming around all over when he's not at my house. And without further ado: PICTURES!

Here he is yelling at me because I stopped petting him.

Here he is pawing at my leg because I didn't pet him quick enough after he bitched and complained.

Closeup, lying on the patio.

Edit: I almost forgot this one.

...but not for long, if I have anything to say about it.
deanhills
furtasacra wrote:
He's not lost, trust me. I see him roaming around all over when he's not at my house. And without further ado: PICTURES!
Beautiful photos. Sort of capturing the moments. He looks much more comfortable than one would have thought a "guest" would have been. Cheeky bugger! So are his jewels still intact Laughing
furtasacra
deanhills wrote:
furtasacra wrote:
Beautiful photos. Sort of capturing the moments. He looks much more comfortable than one would have thought a "guest" would have been. Cheeky bugger! So are his jewels still intact Laughing

Thank you. I especially like the lying on the patio closeup - too bad I have no idea what setting I had the camera on, huh? I was playing around with it.

He still has his nuts, because right now I'm too broke to feed two cats, and I'd have to keep him for a while to make sure he healed clean and healthy after being fixed. Sigh.
furtasacra
Hell to the no.

I didn't see Punkinhead for a for while, and now his ribs are starting to poke out. But that's not the last straw... he has a mark on his head that looks like some (insert several paragraphs of intense and highly creative profanity here) body put a cigarette out between his ears, and now he flinches and looks worried when people try to pet him.

If a friendly stray animal comes around your house looking for food and/or affection, your options are pretty simple. Either give them what they want, or shoo them off your property.

Some (insert even more profanity here) evil jackhole lured friendly, trusting Punkin into range and then hurt him, for no good reason. I am FURIOUS.

I am now hereby officially adopting Punkinhead as a member of my household. I can't really afford another cat, but I'm gonna feed him and put an ID collar on him, one way or another.

That won't stop mean people from being mean, but they might hesitate if they can see that the cat actually belongs to somebody.
gandalfthegrey
Not unless you want a lawsuit on your hands.
furtasacra
Further update: I have asked around, and several people feed Punkinhead occasionally, but nobody seems to be claiming ownership. He's a neighborhood cat trying to get himself adopted, apparently.
deanhills
furtasacra wrote:
Hell to the no.

I didn't see Punkinhead for a for while, and now his ribs are starting to poke out. But that's not the last straw... he has a mark on his head that looks like some (insert several paragraphs of intense and highly creative profanity here) body put a cigarette out between his ears, and now he flinches and looks worried when people try to pet him.

If a friendly stray animal comes around your house looking for food and/or affection, your options are pretty simple. Either give them what they want, or shoo them off your property.

Some (insert even more profanity here) evil jackhole lured friendly, trusting Punkin into range and then hurt him, for no good reason. I am FURIOUS.

I am now hereby officially adopting Punkinhead as a member of my household. I can't really afford another cat, but I'm gonna feed him and put an ID collar on him, one way or another.

That won't stop mean people from being mean, but they might hesitate if they can see that the cat actually belongs to somebody.
I like this attitude, and good that you asked around. Have you made him part of the household yet? Is he still a "he"? Smile
KenzRxUrSx
i think its sweet that u are taking in the cat. as a female animal luvverr myself i would do that. actually i see this beautiful siberian cat running around my house but is here all day and close to night so i am thinking of catching it and bringing it to see if it is chipped. then putting up posters asking if its lost. u should do that. put up posters "FOUND CAT" no pics tho. and if no one bothers to call after a week to 10 days then hes yours <3 good luck!! i hope it turns out great Very Happy
aimee6akj
What is wrong with all you people??? This is an animal who has been said, well cared for. Did you ever think there is a reason the owners haven't fixed him?? Aside from that, it is NOT the OWNERS decision!! If you don't want the animal around, perhaps you shouldn't have shown him affection, but shooed him away, should have never allowed him in your home.... Think of how you would feel, as a pet owner, if your pet disappeared one day & returned a few days later. You, unaware he just had surgery... If an outdoor cat, prone to infection... He dies because someone took a member of your family, had a surgery done & never told... SHAME ON ALL OF YOU WHO CONDONE THIS!!!! Grow up & have a discussion with your neighbors!!!! This kidnap & treat an animal without consent of the owner is, in my opinion, as bad as taking my child & having an invasive surgery done without my knowledge!!! Shame, again...shame, shame on you!!!!! Awful!!! Shocked
Insanity
I think you should fix it. If anything, you'll be doing this other person a favor. Cats that aren't fixed are a pain to take care of.
fuzzkaizer
wow, quite an old thread resurrected here, wonder if the cat's still alive!
maybe the thread needs some ghostwriter, announcing something like:
"Yessss, that ol pumkinhead is still rolling his balls, singing and screaming in the yards, only that meanwhile he is accompanied by quite a hoard of orange-white-sparkled cats of all sizes, obviously his offspring...