FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My New MBI 6988G dvd Player cannot play MPEG-4

bukaida
I bought a moserbaer MBI-6988G recently which claims to read MPEG-4 file. I have a movie file which according to GSpot has the codec information as follows

Video codec: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Audio codec: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

The movie is in a USB drive.The DVD player is not even displaying it although it is displaying the other files in USB.The file is perfectly playing in my computer from the same USB. The DVD player doesnot display the files which it cannot open like (word/excel files etc).So it is not displaying the file means it will not be able to play it. So what I want to know is--

IS IT A FALSE CLAIM BY MOSERBAER THAT THE PLAYER CAN PLAY MPEG-4 VIDEO?
Donutey
I think by playing Mpeg-4 it means it will play an mpeg-4 dvd, not from a usb drive.
bukaida
It doesnot matter which source you are selecting, the decoder circuit is same for all of them.
mOrpheuS
bukaida wrote:
I bought a moserbaer MBI-6988G recently which claims to read MPEG-4 file. I have a movie file which according to GSpot has the codec information as follows

Video codec: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Audio codec: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

The movie is in a USB drive.The DVD player is not even displaying it although it is displaying the other files in USB.The file is perfectly playing in my computer from the same USB. The DVD player doesnot display the files which it cannot open like (word/excel files etc).So it is not displaying the file means it will not be able to play it. So what I want to know is--

IS IT A FALSE CLAIM BY MOSERBAER THAT THE PLAYER CAN PLAY MPEG-4 VIDEO?

DVD players these days claim to play MPEG-4 can play MPEG-4 Part 2 video.
The file that you have contains MPEG-4 Part 10 video.
It won't play, and it's not really a false claim by your manufacturer -
Wikipedia wrote:
Note that MPEG-4 Part 10 defines a different format than MPEG-4 Part 2 and should not be confused with it

I'm pretty sure no DVD player right now will play that file (A blu-ray player probably can).
Also, your DVD player most likely doesn't play the audio format contained in the file.
coreymanshack
This is why I would rather use old computer parts lying around to make a small "dvd player" computer rather than buying a new player every 3 months. Just like people with these gaming consoles. What is the deal with them? Why not buy a computer for 1,000. The hardware won't fall behind for 3 years, and then you can upgrade it by replacing parts for a while until you just need to completley replace it. In the long run it turns out cheaper than buying a gaming console. Especially since most every home nowadays has a computer anyway!