FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Real frustration - no points for postings that time out ...

deanhills
This is really frustrating. I have just completed a posting with lots of hard work, possibly worth 5 points. It timed out, and while it was timing out, it published my posting but did not give me a credit for the posting or points for the posting. THIS HAS HAPPENED SO MANY TIMES. And I have been faithfully reporting it with no feedback at all.

Bondings, you really need to help with this. Is there any way that you can tweak Frihost so that if the posting times out, that it does not publish the posting before credit has been given. At least I would then get a second chance to get credit for my posting, as right now I copy my posting to the Clipboard before I publish it. At least I can save the posting that way.

The system has been particularly problematic over the last few days.
Arnie
Well, you have over 91 points at the moment. You realise it will be reset to 45 anyway? Eh?
Bondings
Unfortunately, the problem with modifying the points issued is that we use a phpbb mod to do this and it is a really complicated/complex one and hence not easy to modify. Last time I tried to change something I had to give up after a few hours.

I would rather like to solve the timing out and problems with the forums, although that doesn't seem easy either.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

I would rather like to solve the timing out and problems with the forums, although that doesn't seem easy either.

Is it a server load issue? Or is it just some kind of coding bug?

(If it helps, I once got the same symptoms on my phpbb3 forum, and instead of giving only the 'could not connect to database' I've seen here, it also gave the reason: 'too many database connections'.
Perhaps the maximum number of connections could be raised, or perhaps the time it takes for a never-closed connection to be closed automatically could be reduced? (no doubt there are many of these made by the amateur php coders here) )
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Is it a server load issue? Or is it just some kind of coding bug?

(If it helps, I once got the same symptoms on my phpbb3 forum, and instead of giving only the 'could not connect to database' I've seen here, it also gave the reason: 'too many database connections'.
Perhaps the maximum number of connections could be raised, or perhaps the time it takes for a never-closed connection to be closed automatically could be reduced? (no doubt there are many of these made by the amateur php coders here) )

A few days ago we did have problems with something similar. The forums loaded slowly or not at all and sometimes there was a similar error. And a few moments later, everything was fast again. And after a while again they became slow for a while. But since 2 days ago I've never seen it happen anymore.

I'll definitely try to raise the maximum connections. Also maybe find a script/site that takes too much resources. Maybe optimize the database and sql queries.
Bondings
Now I come to think about it, it seems like there is something going way too slow during the posting. I guess too big queries to the database to make the list to search for words. I'll try to fix/optimize it when I find some time.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
to make the list to search for words.

Could it finally be time to disable the search function and use only the google search? Most really big forums do that because it is just too resource-intensive.
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:
to make the list to search for words.

Could it finally be time to disable the search function and use only the google search? Most really big forums do that because it is just too resource-intensive.

That is an option, although I would rather like to keep it.

I took a look at it yesterday evening and the search tables are indeed really big (over half a gigabyte). However, I am not sure that this is the actual cause of the problem. I think it is rather due to something on the server being misconfigured, not optimized or malfunctioning. Of course, the search thing is indeed a resource hog and contributes to the problem of posting a message and timing out.
Afaceinthematrix
It happens to me all the time. I don't tend to worry about it too much. I'd probably have a lot more posts if it didn't happen, but it doesn't really matter. I think I'm active enough anyways to not have my account suspended.
Nick2008
Yep, happening to me all this time right now, all my posts are timing out.
Arnie
For me, things seem to work better at the moment.
Bondings
Arnie wrote:

At least some good news.

By the way, do you (or others) sometimes get logged out when you click on a new page for no reason? deanhills seems to be having this problem and I have been logged out quite a lot too actually, although not today I think.
Arnie
As yet, I have not seen this happen.
LumberJack
Dean, I have had a couple similar problems with this and my posts. One thing I try to minimize is the Quotes, and I also reload the forms in another browser tab before I submit the post.... see if that helps Smile
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

By the way, do you (or others) sometimes get logged out when you click on a new page for no reason? deanhills seems to be having this problem and I have been logged out quite a lot too actually, although not today I think.

This was happening one day on a forum hosted on frihost. I kept getting logged out with almost every click on a page, but only logged out of the admin panel, not completely logged out.
(Problem disappeared when using only one tab, and hasn't reoccurred.)
cr3ativ3
Bondings wrote:
Unfortunately, the problem with modifying the points issued is that we use a phpbb mod to do this and it is a really complicated/complex one and hence not easy to modify. Last time I tried to change something I had to give up after a few hours.

Now from my knowledge of php, if it posted the thread/post after it was submitted, you should have got the points as the points should be added all in the same execution of the script...

However from my experience the points mod that is employed here, does not do it during this execution but instead on the redirect page that confirms your post.

I could most likely modify the mod to apply the points during the thread/post submission, I have used this points mod in the past on forums and made some significant mods to it, so Bondings if you would like me to take a look at it, I will see what I can do towards it.

(I really do know what I am doing, when it comes to this stuff.)

Let me know!
Joanne
Quote:
Arnie wrote:
Well, you have over 91 points at the moment. You realise it will be reset to 45 anyway?

I don't think I get it.
Points get reset when it reaches 91?
I have a hunch I'm wrong, coz I see people with points that are more than 1000.
What did you mean by that one Arnie?
Joanne
Oh and yes, I've experienced the time out stuff myself, but it happens whenever I click on "post a reply", not while posting my reply itself.

As for getting logged out automatically, I have yet to see it.

Goodluck in fixing those stuff though, Bondings.
I know it aint easy, heh.
cr3ativ3
Joanne wrote:
Quote:
Arnie wrote:
Well, you have over 91 points at the moment. You realise it will be reset to 45 anyway?

I don't think I get it.

Every 24 hours (12 AM or something), your points get get set back to 45. Not your Frih$, but your points, which keep track of your level activity on the forum.
Joanne
cr3ativ3 wrote:
Quote:
Joanne wrote:
Quote:
Arnie wrote:

I don't think I get it.

Every 24 hours (12 AM or something), your points get get set back to 45. Not your Frih$, but your points, which keep track of your level activity on the forum.

Yay, thanks ^_^v
Arnie
They only get reset to 45 when you have over 45 points, of course. If you have under 45 points you get -1 each day. If you're not hosted this doesn't apply, so you will have the same amount of points as Frih$ (unless you donate/receive).

By the way Bondings, have you considered forum pruning?
Joanne
ARNIE WROTE:
Quote:
They only get reset to 45 when you have over 45 points, of course. If you have under 45 points you get -1 each day. If you're not hosted this doesn't apply, so you will have the same amount of points as Frih$ (unless you donate/receive).

Thanks for that info as well arnie.

=)
SpellcasterDX
I just experienced that, while replying to the 2009 Predictions thread in the general chat. My post got submitted twice but I received no points at all for either post. Can someone remove the second post, please? Thanks.

Bondings wrote:
Arnie wrote:

At least some good news.

I do not experience the logging out thing. At least I haven't yet.

Also, any updates on the timing out thing?
cr3ativ3
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Also, any updates on the timing out thing?

Ya that pisses me off too.
SpellcasterDX
I hope we get some sort of update soon. It seemed to want to happen again a little while ago.
TrueFact
Well, I have a different aspect of this now. When I post along thread or reply, it returns a blank page. Refreshing the page resend the data again and the command is repeated which leads to double posts and earning points only once. The sad thing is when I try to delete the repeated post.

It is working just fine when posting short replies. Another note is that replies with quotes didn't affect the situation. I have short replies with three or four quotes but worked fine.
sonam
Actualy, I am not worry about points but in some situation I am loose my post. I don't like that especially when I type half hour (because my english is not good). Now I have simple trick before I press "Submit" button, few seconds of work! Wink
CTRL+A then CTR+C
If something going wrong my message is save in computer buffer and I can paste it anywhere. Laughing

Sonam
TrueFact
Will, hosted people are worried about points! And I'm still have negative points and maybe I get my account suspended for the negative points. Anyways, i was wondering if a system restart can solve the whole thing? Sometimes I find my PC working real slow and can't figure a single reason for it is so slow. I restart it, and there you are, the PC is as fast as a bullet Smile.

I would try it specially if the forum is hosted on a different server than that for the hosting. I've noticed it was up for 157 continuous days. Even if both of them are hosted on the same server, few minutes down is not a big deal I think, that even members won't feel it.

Or otherwise, you already found out what the problem is.
deanhills
Tonight has been another frustrating posting night. Two posts in succession got posted with no credit in points or Frih$. Worst part is that they were quite lengthy postings of the 5point variety. I had been working quite hard on them, it's almost like doing work, and it is really frustrating when that screen comes up with that everything has timed out. You then go back to the forum, then notice your posting was published, but it did not go to the confirmation page, you are also not listed as the last person who posted in that thread. Grrrrrr ..... wonder whether this posting will go through Twisted Evil

Ha! It did got through ... hopefully my luck is going to change after this ranting session Smile

Later: Nope, more bad luck, not a good posting night tonight Sad
deanhills
So a few hours later, still problems. I managed to do well with a few postings albeit when I submitted them they went through slowly. Have just experienced a time-out. My present session has been on a completely different computer, a different and much faster system. Frustrating!
SpellcasterDX
^Just a question, are you hosted on here? Or not? Cause if so, you have plenty of points. (115 at the time of this posting)I don't know why you're so bugged about it. lol. Razz
deanhills
SpellcasterDX wrote:
^Just a question, are you hosted on here? Or not? Cause if so, you have plenty of points. (115 at the time of this posting)I don't know why you're so bugged about it. lol. Razz
I work pretty hard for the points. And I enjoy posting. I like to move fast. So if I have gone to the trouble of doing a posting, I would like to see it published efficiently as it is supposed to do as well as earn the points and Frih$ I'm expected to earn. I doubt that is an unreasonable expectation or demand as that is supposed to be the offsetting benefits for Frihost getting postings. I think it is also in Frihost's interest to focus on efficiency of postings going through as the more postings the better for Frihost, or I thought that was the objective of the Forum? I also thought if I record what is happening with failed attempts at postings, that Bondings could register that something is working less than efficiently. The forums are growing all the time, and obviously if there are problems, those problems will be growing too. If those who experience these difficulties do not bring it to the attention of Bondings, he may think everything is working smoothly. Which obviously it is not.

Tonight I have had difficulty posting again. It's almost as though Frihost is working in spurts, like electricity stopping and then starting. Tonight I had two sets of double postings too. Usually I delete one of the two and then of course loose points for it. I sometimes loose a double set of points, as of course if I did not get points when I published the first time, and if it published double and I deleted one, then I lost that as well. Tonight I decided to keep the double postings. Think the moderators would be able to see that one of the double postings has an "x" and the other one not. I wonder however why we get double postings like that.
Bondings
I think the critical part of posting is putting the words in the search table(s). I'll try to examine the actual times between the queries needed for posting.

I think the solution for the points would be to move the point calculation before the insertion of search words in the database, if possible.

Of course this won't solve the long posting time and the double posts problem. To solve this I can try to disable a part of the queries for the search tables, or at least make it a bit faster.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
I think the critical part of posting is putting the words in the search table(s). I'll try to examine the actual times between the queries needed for posting.

I think the solution for the points would be to move the point calculation before the insertion of search words in the database, if possible.

Of course this won't solve the long posting time and the double posts problem. To solve this I can try to disable a part of the queries for the search tables, or at least make it a bit faster.

Thanks Bondings. Anything will be helpful as I have just lost two postings in a succession again, and that is rather frustrating. Not to mention the waiting time for posts and holding my breath that the posting will get through alright.

Make that three postings. This line is an edit to the third posting that got published with no credits. Sad The situation is much worse than it was yesterday as I can't post at all. I am typing this edit on a high-powered system and have had a failed posting here as well and numerous attempts to get edits through. Is it possible that modifications are presently being done to the database so that it has less power to process than it usually has?!
Bondings
There is a big backup currently going on. This could be causing it. (but actually shouldn't)
Bondings
It seems like the biggest part of the time it takes for a post is indeed adding the search words. And the points/frih$ are only added after that.
SonLight
Thanks, Bondings, for working on this.

For long-time members here, lost points aren't a real problem, since we know our sites will not be shut down quickly if points get low. The points are sort of like a medal, though, and it's annoying when they're lost. For new users it is more important that they are not left wondering if the site is reliable and fair in the long run.

It appears we can only make short posts now because of error 500's.
Bondings
I'm currently evaluating the options to make the posting faster. I'm thinking of either using the in-built mysql full-text search or to use an external indexer like Sphinx.

If I don't implement one of the 2 above options, I'll try to cripple the search a bit to make the posting faster.