FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Global Announcement

Ghost Rider103
How about making a global announcement, reminding people that there are other forums besides just General Chat?

There is always a big amount of new posts in the general chat section. I remember a couple months back, just about all categories used to be like this. Now it seems only a small select few people are posting in multiple different categories. But when they do, it is not very often.

The other categories just don't hardly get any activity, and when they do, it's either a small select few people who make decent post, or the rest are noobs just posting junk that is kind of pointless. I wouldn't call it spam, but I wouldn't call it useful to the topic either.

Just an idea to remind people to go beyond the general chat a little bit.
deanhills
Excellent point Ghostrider. I have noticed that too. Would it be an idea perhaps to put the Chat forum below all of the other Forums, as I think one of the reasons that this is happening is that it is the first forum that we can click and post on. Perhaps if it was put lower in the Forum List, people may post differently to the Chat Forum? Idea
sonam
In some other forums I see General Chat on the end of forum list. Then members first look in all other forum instead of open General Chat and just type something what is their mind.

Sonam
ocalhoun
I was thinking that this wasn't a problem really, but then I went to General Chat to prove it. Just on the first page, there were 32 topics that would obviously be better placed elsewhere.

Now I'm definitely in favor of moving General Chat much further down, and/or having a moderator blitz of relocating topics to where they should be, and/or having an announcement about it.

Some combination of those three things would alleviate this problem and enhance the rest of the forums, while reigning in the out-of-control General Chat.
Ghost Rider103
I am glad some of us here agree, now it would be great if we can actually get someone to do something about it.

Moving the general chat section down to the bottom is a great idea, like you said maybe the members will actually look at the other categories before posting in the General Chat section.

And yes, the General Chat section is filled with threads that do not belong there. For some off reason, even when you report one of the threads to be moved to the correct category, it never even gets moved. This has happened to me multiple times.

Take a look at this thread here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-102656.html that definitely does NOT belong int he General Chat section. Now there are many like this, but I wanted to point this one out because the first person to reply to it was a moderator. I am not picking on anyone, but I am just saying. I even mentioned in my post there that it does belong in the Frihost Support category. As that category is "Questions and support about everything on Frihost, except for our web hosting."

But there are a huge amount of threads that don't belong there, that is just an example.

Sorry Rvec Laughing
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I am glad some of us here agree, now it would be great if we can actually get someone to do something about it.

Agreed. What is the point of a suggestion forum when Frihost is not paying attention to it, or we are getting no comment from Frihost? Now and then a moderator posts something, but nothing goes to action. There are plenty of good suggestions. Perhaps the suggestion forum needs to be changed in that someone from Frihost should give feedback, a decision taken whether doable or not doable, and then the suggestion locked. So that we can only post to active suggestions, rather than going round and round the same block, such as the rank suggestions we have made.
rvec
@ghost:
Quote:
Sorry to go off topic, but you don't have electricity for 16 hours a day? May I ask why? That would really suck.

I thought someone would go on about that part, and since the support thing looked solved to me, the topic seemed like a good one for the general forum.

I do agree the general forums might be moved to just above the language forums, but even more the mods (including myself) should give some more attention to the general forums. For the last few months I've only been in there if there was a report about a topic (like the one ghost pointed out Razz )
tidruG
Just to let you all know that almost all suggestions are reviewed.

We're considering this one as well. In fact, we've been thinking about this for a very long time.
deanhills
tidruG wrote:
Just to let you all know that almost all suggestions are reviewed.

We're considering this one as well. In fact, we've been thinking about this for a very long time.

Good to know, thanks.
Afaceinthematrix
Not a bad idea. I have noticed that the general forum seems to get the most traffic... I've even started visiting there lately... I used to not go there much (that vast majority of my 1200 posts were made in the science forums and in the philosophy/religion forum) but I have started posting in there frequently.
Bondings
We are indeed thinking about moving the General Chat forum. However, the new columned forums layout might change this a bit and I would first like to see the effects of that before starting to move the forums.

The columned layout is also something that I've been thinking/making for quite a while (the first attempts were very ugly though), maybe even over a year now. So that explains why I was hesitant to add the new science forums (and others) and why I haven't changed some categories/forums yet. But after a while I will certainly consider and try to move some forums.

Also, the problem of fewer people posting in other forums is also due to less people posting lately. This can rather be solved by having people post more (any tips?) and more new members or old members returning.

Also this can be solved by putting more attention to the new posts/topics. I might make a page with a prominent link with the latest x topics (I know there is already one, but it isn't used much and has it disadvantages).
Afaceinthematrix
Bondings wrote:
We are indeed thinking about moving the General Chat forum. However, the new columned forums layout might change this a bit and I would first like to see the effects of that before starting to move the forums.

The columned layout is also something that I've been thinking/making for quite a while (the first attempts were very ugly though), maybe even over a year now. So that explains why I was hesitant to add the new science forums (and others) and why I haven't changed some categories/forums yet. But after a while I will certainly consider and try to move some forums.

Also, the problem of fewer people posting in other forums is also due to less people posting lately. This can rather be solved by having people post more (any tips?) and more new members or old members returning.

Also this can be solved by putting more attention to the new posts/topics. I might make a page with a prominent link with the latest x topics (I know there is already one, but it isn't used much and has it disadvantages).

I like the new layout. There is one disadvantage to it, though. You cannot see the last person that posted in the particular topic.
Ghost Rider103
I also like the new layout.

To me, not being able to see the latest topic posted in isn't really that big of a disadvantage, and I'd rather get rid of that to keep the new layout.

This really fixes the problem of people not scrolling down to look for the correct category. Hopefully this will help out the other category's. I'm glad something finally got changed around here. Even though it wasn't a huge change to it's graphical appearance, it's nice to look at something different for a change.

Now only if we can get a new Frihost look for the entire website, then I would be very pleased! I would even be willing to offer my services for free to Frihost, all I need is a PM from Bondings and I'll do what is asked.

Good change though, I agree with it 100%.