FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Those crappy made for TV products

snowboardalliance
So who here loves those commercials on TV that try to sell you something you don't need for ONLY $19.99. They usually will throw in a second one and all kinds of extras. The commercials where someone has trouble doing something common ("tired of your old...") and they exaggerate making a mess or struggling with doing something. And then they have some weird product with a funny name. Well if you know what I'm talking about, here is an funny video making fun of it. A little over done but funny nonetheless.

(warning, contains some swearing if that bothers you)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y
ocalhoun
You got the price wrong though...
It's always 19.95, not 19.99.

If it is something expensive, it will be:
"Only 5 easy payments of 19.95! But wait, call in the next 10 minutes and we'll slash it to only 3 easy payments of 19.95!"
(And, of course, it is barely worth 1 payment of 19.95, if that.)
Afaceinthematrix
They're hardly ever just for TV. I see those ads all the time. They always say "You can only get this on TV! It's just 19.95 but we'll throw in an extra one FREE so you get TWO for $19.95!" I'll then go to the store and see one for $9.99, which means that it's just about the same price (a couple of cents extra) yet you do not have to pay shipping... nice...
Arseniy
We officially have NO such offers in Ukraine... but there ARE that stupid advertisements and commercials on our tv channels!!!
Even non-translated, but they are! And you can enjoy them more than an hour after the midday on Ukrainian official tv-channel.
That pisses me off. :S
shkumbin
OHHHH man I know what are you talking about! All my local chanells have crappy products and the ads are like 30 minutes long trying to convince you to buy those stuff, but in reality you don't need them!!! And the worst part is that they ad like a lot of other stuff that you don't need , but just to look like you are getting a lot of things for the price of one, man I hate those ads....
Crazy_Canuck
One of our local malls actually had a store for a while called "As Seen on TV". You guessed it, it sold nothing but products sold via infomercials. It didn't stay in business very long. I wonder why. Rolling Eyes
Blaster
That is great. I saw that commercial and was like wtf this is the dumbest thing ever...
Insanity
Funny thing is, I know plenty of people who are suckered in to those commercials. The commercial looks so enticing, the concept is so novel, and it seems to be so cheap. But the thing is they are all crappy quality, of course, and they end up regretting it. Though sometimes they have those free trial things, so you can just cancel at the end of that if you want to just try it, I suppose.
PennyLane
On a lazy Sunday I really like those ads on Sell Tel Smile It's so funny when they are really enthousiastic (Oh waow that's amazing :p) Mostly they're dubbed here in Belgium and the Dutch speaker has to talk really fast to keep up with the enthousiastic host. But it becomes annoying when they keep repeating and repeating the same product all the time (you know what I mean, don't you :p) My favourite must be the Ab King Pro and the cream with snail oil (or something like that) It looks so disgusting... Oh and I also love the product they have to make your hair grow again (or is that the snail cream?)

But I admit I really want to try that Ab King Pro... And I also want that H2O cleaner Smile
mwsupra
Gotta love Billy Mays, the king of infomercials Wink
{name here}
Oh yes. I love them sometimes. Shamwow Vince and Billy Mays can actually be sort of entertaining.

On a side note: I remember seeing a video of bloopers with a couple of these famous salespeople. In one, one of the salespersons let's out how aware they are of their products. "Why can't these products work like they should?!"
apple
mwsupra wrote:

he is the king!!

I however have not fallen for the cheapness of the products, I prefer to go to the store and see what I am buying before my hard earned cash leaves me.
hlavco
I've never bought any of those TV products. My little brother got on of those "Marvin's Magic Drawing Boards" once... not from the television though, it was actually for sale at the supermarket. Still worked like crap, though. Here's a funny related comic: http://theslackerz.com/index.php?nav=Comic&Page=111
missdixy
That's pretty funny! Yeah I totally hate those commercials. My mom used to buy things from them all the time.
driftingfe3s
I like to watch these commercials at night sometimes when I'm bored. The commercials are so bad and they make people look so stupid just so you would buy their product that does whatever it does "better". The last one I saw that made me laugh was some blanket with sleeves in it, so you can stay warm and still do things like talk on the phone and eat and drink while still under the blanket!... because you know, you can't just put on a sweater or a jacket.
Nick2008
When I see those commercials, it is very annoying. They usually sell you something that you'll never use, I usually switch the channel.
PatTheGreat42
That new guy with the headset microphone scares me. I saw a picture of him smiling. Again, scary. Those towels do look nice, though.
snowboardalliance
driftingfe3s wrote:
I like to watch these commercials at night sometimes when I'm bored. The commercials are so bad and they make people look so stupid just so you would buy their product that does whatever it does "better". The last one I saw that made me laugh was some blanket with sleeves in it, so you can stay warm and still do things like talk on the phone and eat and drink while still under the blanket!... because you know, you can't just put on a sweater or a jacket.

Exactly. I just love how they make simple tasks look so hard. Like people are always knocking things over and making a big mess. Anyone seen the one that cuts pictures? Like they show someone cutting with scissors and they just make this horrible jagged line. It's ridiculous and really funny.
catscratches
The only problem with them (for me at least) is that it's always the same product...
SpellcasterDX
Ah yes those infamous infomercials on TV on pretty much every single channel. Indeed, I've seen MANY of them. Most of the products look like crap but the closet space saver thing seems kinda useful, especially for smaller closets.
missdixy
driftingfe3s wrote:

I totally saw that commercial too lol. I forgot the name of the product but it was pretty funny too haha. Seriously, who thinks of this stuff? Just wear a light sweater under the blanket so that your arms won't be cold if you have to reach for the phone or something haha.
snowboardalliance
missdixy wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:

I totally saw that commercial too lol. I forgot the name of the product but it was pretty funny too haha. Seriously, who thinks of this stuff? Just wear a light sweater under the blanket so that your arms won't be cold if you have to reach for the phone or something haha.

Yup the Snuggie, that's what that youtube video makes fun of.
william
Well, let's see. The commercials advertise a product using repetitive characteristics: an x amount of payments of $19.95, (costing as much or even more than retail), exaggeration, a 4-6 week wait time, and occur so often that you get so sick of them you are prone to stop watching channels that load their advertising space with this junk. Yes, some are funny...but only at first. They get old quickly.

You know, I think I can blame both the lack of quality programming and these annoying commecials for my reduction of TV viewing time.
wab11287
What kills me about those advertisements are the fact that they always say at the end "But thats not it..." and throw in a free piece of junk product that cost them 50 cents to make and they say all you have to do is pay for shipping and handling for the "FREE" product which shipping and handling is anywhere between $5.00 - $15.00. So in all honesty you are getting what ever it is that you dont really even need in the first place for $19.95 plus $10.00 Shipping and Handling then on top of that you get your "FREE" gift which is another $10.00 Shipping and Handling. So after you get your amazing deal you end up blowing a whopping $39.95 on some stupid crap that you might use once and then either break, misplace, or just throw out.

What a deal huh?
valadez
He somehow managed to make me go buy one. Something the other tv ads could never do.
Josso
I *think* I know the kind of commercial you are talking about, we usually get them in the middle of the night on fairly low budget channels. Amusingly they almost always have freephone numbers attached to the product - I've had a lot of fun with those in the past.

Recent ones I've seen is the "fantastic" rug doctor carpet cleaning piece of s***, which is apparently "commercial grade quality" and this duster that electronically spins around - it's battery powered.
j00gotpwnd
I must say that I was very tempted to buy the Sham Wows. If they worked as well as they claim to, it would be really handy to have.... However I get the feeling almost all of those products work like crap... Guess I will have to try them one day and find out! Cool
jsarnold
We used to have Sky, and these adverts were all that was on late at night (at least, on my subscription it was all that was available)

I used to find them an excellent way to help me fall asleep.
ft09
i HATE these ads. I can really udnerstand if people need to sell their product but i have never inb my many years of watching television been even slightly interested in they way they approach these ads. The most annoything thing however is that each ad is about 7 minutes long and they take forever. There thats my litle rant for today! Laughing
tony
Arseniy wrote:
We officially have NO such offers in Ukraine... but there ARE that stupid advertisements and commercials on our tv channels!!!
Even non-translated, but they are! And you can enjoy them more than an hour after the midday on Ukrainian official tv-channel.
That pisses me off. :S

Wow; one hour! How can someone survive it that long?! haha - I don't have this worry in my hometown.
roxys_art
I think infomercials are hilarious to watch. The best part is when they show a person trying to do it the "old fashion" way. It almost seems like they don't have total control of their body or something. Then the product is the "saving grace" and suddenly the job is super easy to do. These are usually shown three or four times throughout the infomercial right before they say the price.

Then, if you ever buy the products they are selling, you find out that they are crap and don't work worth a damn.
ahachmid
Is there anything that man can't sell? He sells floor cleaners, car scratch removers, garden tools, levels, burger makers, calking tools, the list goes on and on. Basically every commercial goes like this.

"I'M BILLY MAYS, BUY THIS PRODUCT BECAUSE I AM LOUD AND I AM TELLING YOU TO!"

Another funny guy is the slap&chop dude, the one that says "You'll love my nuts!" Interesting fact about him, he's an escaped Scientologist. He went to the dark side and made it out alive! True, they ruined his career so now he's doing infomercials, but hey, I support the guy! i won't buy his cheesy product, but I'll offer him moral support. Maybe I'll send him a card or something.
I also laugh at how in the commercials it's always like...

Tired of this happening to you?
(Shows some idiot completely botching a simple task like flipping a burger, but throwing it all over the stovetop like he had a seizure mid flip or something, or some moron trying to smooth out calk with his bare hands) Then do we have a product for you!!

Seriously, i've never had that many issues in my life with mundane tasks!
tony
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
They're hardly ever just for TV. I see those ads all the time. They always say "You can only get this on TV! It's just 19.95 but we'll throw in an extra one FREE so you get TWO for $19.95!" I'll then go to the store and see one for $9.99, which means that it's just about the same price (a couple of cents extra) yet you do not have to pay shipping... nice...

I've heard this is true. Second by word of mouth Razz Razz
roxys_art
ahachmid wrote:
I also laugh at how in the commercials it's always like...

Tired of this happening to you?
(Shows some idiot completely botching a simple task like flipping a burger, but throwing it all over the stovetop like he had a seizure mid flip or something, or some moron trying to smooth out calk with his bare hands) Then do we have a product for you!!

Ha! Yeah, that's the kind of stuff that makes infomercials golden.
seannie
It's the only thing that's on during midnights. And they've always kept me entertained before I go to bed.
I find it funny when they compare prices with other leading brands.

"Not $100, not $60, not even $50. We're only selling it for $49.95!"
PatTheGreat42
There's a "As Seen on TV!" store in my local mall. It's an entire store filled with sub-par products. Interesting place, really.

Also, the Sham-Wow guy scares me.
Arty
Tired of climbing out of your shower?!
Tired of fumbling with your sweaters and your blankets? (I've seen this ad on in the summer, seriously.)
Tired of watering your plants? Always making a mess???
Solon_Poledourus
My favorite is Vince, famous(at least here in Florida) for the ShamWOW prodect. He's so amped up like a crackhead! And the little headset, it's like he's taking calls while selling to ME at the same time. Classic. And now he has another product, the Slap Chop!

I've never bought anything from those crap-tastic TV ads, but I do love watching them.

And Vince is a superstar!
Melacos
The point is well made in the US I'm sure, but fortunately we don't get it that much here in Denmark. It actually baffles me how it is possible to for any company's pr department to seriously go that way, and use described means to accomplish anything.
It appeals only (I hope) to a very limited or at least isolated segment of people. Usually mentioned ads will be on (in any significant number) during work-hours and also only some people should be convincable - whereas most others would probably feel like they were getting butt-f*****...
standready
mwsupra wrote:

May he rest in peace!
Ashtray
I never bought something that is being advertised in that way on TV. I have my serious doubts about those products, I mean, the TV people might describe them as perfect but come on: all they want to do is sell it to you so why wouldn't they describe them as the items YOU need. Besides, nothing annoys me more than these TV commercials...
ankitdatashn
these type of TV ads are just too irritating to be watched. Simply feels like throwing the TV away, too exaggerated and whining, the irritatiuon is so loud that you simply want to purchase the product to shut the mouths of the commentators showcasing the products.
Vrythramax
The ones that always make me chuckle are the ones that say "If you buy our *whatever* we will throw in a LIFETIME supply of replacement *widgets* AT NO EXTRA COST!!...AND if you order within the next 20 minutes we will DOUBLE YOUR ORDER!!!

If you already have one and a lifetime re-supply...why do you need a second one?

yeah yeah...as a gift (let them buy their own for that price) Twisted Evil
Zombie
I'm pretty stupid, I bought a few of those products. Like the swiffer, I love that thing.
mikakiev
I do not like TV much so I don not like commercials as well.Actually commercials are useful because people have time to go to the kitchen for a coup of tea without missing anything on TV.Smile
deanhills
I rarely buy the products, but I still like to watch some of the shopper channels. They always come up with either something new, but also useful that gives me some ideas. The Shopping Channel in Canada for me has always been worth watching. It also has some good deals for electronic products. This is their Website:
http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/category/electronics.do
Diablosblizz
My TV provider (Cogeco) stopped listing the Shopping Channel, I really felt no use to it. From my knowledge, the only thing I've seen my parents buy is Mighty Putty, although they used the "As Seen on TV" store in one of the malls.
snowboardalliance
Since this thread is still going on, here is another parody video you might enjoy, all about that guy who can't seem to do anything at all in those commercials
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1896279
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
My TV provider (Cogeco) stopped listing the Shopping Channel, I really felt no use to it. From my knowledge, the only thing I've seen my parents buy is Mighty Putty, although they used the "As Seen on TV" store in one of the malls.
For them to have been around as long as they have probably says they do appeal to a large enough percentage of the population in order to stay in business. So there has to be a large number of people to find interesting stuff in it, but possibly they are not covering the interests of everyone, including you and your parents and perhaps a large number of other people.
guissmo
They're fun to watch. Though most of them are pretty useless and all. It's still entertaining to watch the amazing this the products can do though. Very Happy
Bluedoll
The chopper flooper.
Why not enjoy just by taking your time cooking, cutting up with your favorite knife and breadboard picking at the veggies making sure you don't get things in your food you don't really want?

Instead we are told we need this machine by some stupid looking dumbo from a Great KNow it all sales junky guy out of NEW YOrK City telling us in that typical accent what to do! It is a dorky plastic piece of junk (they give you 2 for the price of one) no wonder they have to break they are made of plastic and cheap steel what else do you expect!

Then this info idiot has the audacity to say quote "quit having a boring life". Just buy this piece of junk! As if that simple kitchen mechanical knife con-trap- tion is going to change every thing!

It is so stupid, it is funny. Maybe, I should go buy it as a joke piece! No, too much money for what you get, let them come down in price first but then it will be too boring and not funny anymore.

chop chop chop

Laughing
Stolich
ocalhoun wrote:
You got the price wrong though...
It's always 19.95, not 19.99.

If it is something expensive, it will be:
"Only 5 easy payments of 19.95! But wait, call in the next 10 minutes and we'll slash it to only 3 easy payments of 19.95!"
(And, of course, it is barely worth 1 payment of 19.95, if that.)

I always wondered if they really do this. Can they even keep track of when a commercial is played? Never tested it out cause its always clear what a rip-off the product is...

Arty wrote:
Tired of watering your plants? Always making a mess???

Priceless!
detsucks
Haha their so annoying yet funny. I'm sure many of you would have heard of the PedEgg. See it on TV being advertised for around 50-80 bucks (AUD, i don't remember.), and i see a replica/genuine selling on another site for $2 USD with free shipping LOL!
DeltaM
Haha ye it's also funny to see that they say like IF YOU ORDER IN 10 MINS WE WILL GIVE YOU EXTRA ? YES YOU HEARD IT AN EXTRA !!!! and then u se it the next month and ofcourse they say the same thing again funny how people actually fall for that stuff Laughing
Dean_The_Great
Haha! I love late night infomercials, they're hilarious! The Speed-Chop, the Juicer-Pro, the Rotisserie oven ("Set it and forget it!")... such "high quality" products!

They're almost as entertaining as the late night singles phone commercials...
jabce85
I can't believe people actually buy that stuff they see on tv anyway.
QrafTee
I'm going to get a WTF Blanket. Thanks OP.
mikakiev
Also I dont like those late-night call shows when people need to answer the questions and guess the word.Just cheating people and force them to pay for the call to the studio when actually no calls from people are accepted.Rip-off. Very Happy
guissmo
It's usually just a channel full of infomercials. Maybe you should change channels? Smile
snowboardalliance
Yeah, this is an old thread, but here is a nice relevant video. Enjoy!
http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=12480
ankitdatashn
I hate that kind of ads like anything, they also sound so monotonous always exaggerating and telling about their products. Kinda looks funny at the same time. And with the dubbing in our regional language it looks so disgusting.
goutha
I love that kind of ads, but never buy those products. I love to see how they manipulate people to get them buy a crappy over priced product. It's always funny. Sometimes better to watch than several well known shows.
iman
Yeah, almost everyone hates commercials, except when they're exceptionally awesome. I wonder what goes into the minds of the stations who air nothing but very long commercials.
ankitdatashn
Yesterday I noticed an advertisement in question here, it was an advertisement of a sketch pen kind of a thing, just rub it on the scratches on your car and they are gone, kinda looked weird... any idea if its for real in case anyone knows about it...