FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Would an HD 4850 fit in my case?

weableandbob
I've been trying to decide what new graphics card I should get to replace my absolutely craptacular 8400 (yes, I know it's a budget card), and I've pretty much decided on an HD 4850 over a 9800 GT (only a few dollars more and better performance), but I'm not quite sure if it would fit in my case. It's a Antec Sonata II (http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=15139) with a m2nvp vm motherboard.
Diablosblizz
Almost any video card will fit in a case, although the real question is does the motherboard support PCI-E. Don't worry about your case, worry about your motherboard.
Jaan
they have dimensions posted... it's worth a check. i have a hd4850 and it's very long, then again my last card was a radeon x700 LOL... but check it! when i installed it i almost snapped a few pins cause it is very long!
miacps
I'm actually not sure looking at the pics of your case. It seems like the drive bay may or may not keep it from fitting.

The card is a little under 10 inches long so break out a ruler and measure the distance between the back of your case and the drive bay before you order one.

Here's some requirements, make sure your set up/PSU can handle them:

Quote:
PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode)

Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products

1GB of system memory

Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray / HD DVD playback requires Blu-ray / HD DVD drive
weableandbob
Well, I seem to meet all the requirements except that my power supply isn't on the certified list (it's just the 450 watt one that came with the case, a SmartPower2.0 450, but it has a 6-pin power connector, so I would think it would work) and the card might block the port for the ribbon cable that's connected to the, which sticks up about a half inch from the motherboard. It would also block 2 sata ports, but I'd still have 2 left, and I don't have any current use for them. Here's a crudely edited picture of it.
Diablosblizz
If you're using IDE more than sata (apparently 100% more according to the picture) then you would benefit by removing two and just using your IDE until you decide to upgrade, if that needs to be done in the near future (in my opinion I don't care how fast it is as long as it works).

I wouldn't worry about the sata, if you need them by any chance well I suppose you can remove the graphics card. By the way, are you 150% sure that your card will work in your computer? By looking at the pictures you have no PCI-E slots, sorry if I sound mean I just don't want you to waste your money to find out it doesn't work.
weableandbob
My current card is using the only PCI-E, so that's why you didn't see it. However, I'm concerned that the PSU won't hold up, as I was reading reviews on newegg and saw this.

Pros: small enough to fit into ant3c sonata II case with inside case fan installed. maxes out every game i own now (not crysis) with maxed AA and AF. Loads cooler than my old 7600GT. all cores + memory idle about ~32 C. quieter than i expected.

Cons: i prefer instant rebates but w/e

Other Thoughts: i use an old CRT right now at 1064X768. Hopefully the performance wont disappoint when i upgrade to 1600X1050 this spring. Good idea to get a new psu if you're using the original 450w one that came w/ the sonata II, it'll eventually kill your computer.
abdulqadirabid
you might heat a small pc case ,and obviously it should fit in the case