FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old Skool Games

jsfdan
Yes, another topic. But this one discusses the old games before Y2K.

My favorite are:

PONG
Super Mario on Nintendo

I like PONG because its a simple game and fun to play. Super Mario (for me) took the cake as the first adventure game I've played with the levels and such.

List your favorite old games.
Nameless
Actually playing anything resembling the original Pong for more than two minutes is about as entertaining as lighting your brain on fire.

I will always have a soft spot for Bahamut Lagoon (for the SNES), in retrospect I could point out some flaws with the game, but it was one of my first completed tactical RPGs and it was awesome.
slashnburn99
Old Skool for me goes back further

ZX80 - from sinclair

Then in the 80s ZX81 - with 1K thats right 1 kiliobyte (how did they make games for those - awesome)

Then a 16K expansion pack that fitted in the back, that was heaven

Then followed up by the Spectrum 48K

football manager
Headcoach

List is endless

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/bestgames.html

today playing Guitar hero worldtour - would have killed for these games as a kid
Diablosblizz
If you classify the 90's as old school, then Super Mario 64 was an amazing game. The whole story was simply amazing, and at the time the graphics were great, so much for that.
muffinman187
duck hunt NES
Afaceinthematrix
The greatest game of all time would have to be Super Mario World RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Anyone who has played this game will understand why; if you haven't played this game, then I simply cannot explain the greatness to you because it must be played to understand. I hate video games in general, but this game was amazing.
Sphaerenkern
Breakout Smile
Or, a bit less Old-Skool: Super Metroid (SNES).
ddukki
Breakout would have to be one of the best time-wasters in the history of time. For a game with actual gameplay material, though, I'd have to say the vertical scroll-shooters were the most fun to play back in the day. I guess Space Invaders counts, but I'm talking more of the Volley Fire type games.
titus1972
Rygar is the best arcade classic hands down it's not the most common game but if you know the arcade classics you know what I am talking about. You can play it on mame32. There is something about the full size arcade cabinet games that pulls me into the game and I get into it even more.
Rdogg112
sonic
and super mario
Dark_Jedi06
Nothing beats the old Lucasarts SCUMM games for the MAC and PC, I still play through Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle at least once a year. Though at this point I could pretty much write a walk through for them off the top of my head in this post.

I have a thing for nostalgia. Wink
wombatrpgs
Final Fantasy Legend kicks ass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Fantasy_Legend
pho3nixsky
Super Mario Bros!

Woo, theme music is so ownage and sticks in your head.
Xanatos
I'm going to have to go with any of the old mario games. That genre is timeless and infinitely entertaining.
hummer010
Wonder Boy for the win!!

Man, I pumped a ton of quarters into Wonder Boy down at the 7-Eleven when I was a kid.
Nutteloos
Dark_Jedi06 wrote:
Nothing beats the old Lucasarts SCUMM games for the MAC and PC, I still play through Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle at least once a year. Though at this point I could pretty much write a walk through for them off the top of my head in this post.

I have a thing for nostalgia. Wink

It's surprising how much fun a game can be when you still know exactly what to do and what's gonna happen next.

On a side note, Telltale was off a good start with the new Sam&Max games. You should at least give season 1 a try.
kitsrock
Considering SNES was the oldest game console I ever had, most of my "old school" game experiences relate to it.

Super Mario World
Harvest Moon
Secret of Mana
Earthbound

there was one more game that I spent an entire winter of my childhood, but I can't recall what the game was called.
evilgeniuself
There is an arcade I still visit occasionally, which has many older games, such as Pac-Man, Galaga, Mario Bros, and a few others. Dig Dug would be my favorite, yet since you are counting all games before Y2K (and I think Final Fantasy 9 was published in 2001), I am going to go with Final Fantasy 6 (the one with Kefka).
Tuvitor
Star Control II
Secret of Mana
Civilization I
early Ultima series
Tecmo Bowl
misterXY
Duck Hunt favorite console game, street fighter arcade we're awesome! Think l lost over a grand in that thing.
Fake
Donkey Kong
FTW!
StarlightStudios
Well as far as actual retro gaming goes i'd have to say that the old school Donkey Kong on the arcade was a huge favorite both for its variety at the time aswell as its submissive and addictive gameplay.
But for a more 90's era it's not constest, NES' Super Mario 3 truly set the landscape for the upcoming Mario Universe.
(side note: I love SMRPG:7*'s but it didnt do anything special besides be a great game.
andersonic
Spy vs Spy. Cool
eday2010
Gangster Town for the Sega Master System (greatest light gun game ever), Penguin Land and Psycho Fox for the Master System, Kangaroo, Infiltrate, Frostbite and Pressure Cooker for the Atari 2600. There are too many other games to list for the Super NES and Sega Genesis, so I won't bother trying Smile
Jamatu
Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Bomber Man are too name a few. They just don't make games like that anymore - too much emphasis on the graphics and not enough on the story. I often have urges to play Super Mario and am pretty frustrated I can't!
wombatrpgs
Jamatu wrote:
Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Bomber Man are too name a few. They just don't make games like that anymore - too much emphasis on the graphics and not enough on the story. I often have urges to play Super Mario and am pretty frustrated I can't!

What do you mean "can't"? Can't play a game like it, or not the original game? For all people who really liked the original SMB, I highly recommend picking up the Japanese Lost Levels. Or else, the GBC cart Super Mario Deluxe which has it bundled plus a lot of other neat extras to go with the game. Great buy.
SMRPGlegends
I love old school games like Super Mario Bros. 1,2 and 3. I like the SNES the most like Yoshi's Island was my favorite. The N64 was awsome like Super Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask.
Smile

But now days it's all about Graphics and dumb bull Crap. Like people didn't like the re-release of Super Mario Allstars because it was the same exact thing but I liked it because it was classic and people who didn't like say that the games should have NSMBWii graphics and game engine but then that won't be classic. I honestly don't care about modern games anymore (except NSMBWii and SM3DLand, those had some classic gameplay).

So yeah that's why I moved back to oldschool games. Wink
wombatrpgs
SMRPGlegends wrote:

Like people didn't like the re-release of Super Mario Allstars because it was the same exact thing but I liked it because it was classic.

Then why not just play the original?
memno
Ye Olde Ancient Arcade was the place to be as a kid:

-watching the rose-colored-glasses-wearing harcore guy playing and finishing Dragon's Lair
(I never made it more than 3 minutes in at the time)

-Tron cycle battle: I was 4-1 in my arcade

-the bubble-domed 3D hologram fighting game. predating mortal kombat, holograms were cool

-had my name in top 5 Golden Axe leaderboards (until the store owner unplugged his machine)
axe
-very first virtual-reality machine... you wore those head goggles and stood in a cage holding a
giant "gun" and you looked around the sparse environment and shot at the bats and the big
green dragon, flying some 4 levels above you

there was a place in town where you could play all the new consoles for $5 per half-hour.
I played Genesis when it was released, there, Michael Jackson game (epic),the
Golden Axe game (looked exactly like arcade), and Toe Jam N' Earl. I also got to play
the actual Japanese Famicom there, a few months before the SNES was released.
That Mario World game played in Japanese I will never forget. I'll also never forget the
mullet-dude with glasses that ran the place. Haven't seen him since.
andro_king
Super Mario and Cantro Cool
Tuvitor
Contra was ridiculously hard. I remember that much of it.

Though I've heard the same of the original NES Bionic Commando, and I beat that one... The one that ends with Hitler as the end boss.
hitose
"Aria the time of the dragons" of lawn that I like is a combination of castlevania and metroid.
wombatrpgs
hitose wrote:
"Aria the time of the dragons" of lawn that I like is a combination of castlevania and metroid.

Haha, those two games pretty much define a genre.
donoob88
i use to like mario too, then mario cart, then snk vs. capcom, street fighter, game boy pokemon, any version, i do like selda too but i think i don't finished any selda games, cause it requires too search for walktrough from the internet, unlike for pokemon that i finished all by myself..
Skiing_Is_Euphoria
always loved astroid for the awesome free roam spaceship piloting
eden288
Super Mario World
Harvest Moon
Secret of Mana
Ultrak1ll
I dont know if supaplex and doom 1 qualify as old school but these were my first games. Still play supaplex from time to time in DOSbox.

Also I'm stuck on quake 3 in 2012 Very Happy
wombatrpgs
Ultrak1ll wrote:
I dont know if supaplex and doom 1 qualify as old school but these were my first games. Still play supaplex from time to time in DOSbox.

Also I'm stuck on quake 3 in 2012 Very Happy

Haha, if they require DOSbox than I'm sure they count.
Josso
The oldest game I've enjoyed (well, I suppose minus chess lol) is Zork which is now playable in a browser!

I think the first one was developed in the late 70s using some very clever code.
wombatrpgs
Josso wrote:
The oldest game I've enjoyed (well, I suppose minus chess lol) is Zork which is now playable in a browser!

I think the first one was developed in the late 70s using some very clever code.

Ahh that's a classic.

I think when I was a kid my dad had me play Hunt the Wumpuss, but that was outdated even then, of course. I looked it up, 1972 apparently.
Ultrak1ll
I remembered that I have a working SNES 32 bit console. Got few games on it (donkey kong, some rally stuff, Super Mario hahahhahaha).
fmrg
Super Mario Bros FTW !!! Smile
PS. just finished it Razz
wombatrpgs
Ultrak1ll wrote:
I remembered that I have a working SNES 32 bit console. Got few games on it (donkey kong, some rally stuff, Super Mario hahahhahaha).

There's one of these in my office building actually. It gets a surprising amount of use!
ZeytinGrafik
if you are in to RPG's, i recommend you to play the ultima series.
wombatrpgs
ZeytinGrafik wrote:
if you are in to RPG's, i recommend you to play the ultima series.

Any good places to start?
ZeytinGrafik
f you do not care about graphics or a bad menu system start from the first game. Otherwise start from the seventh one. Realms Of arkania games are better in graphically. I May also recommend snes or Genesis emulator for playing games as the emus have dos versions. Very Happy
dharmin
I loved playing the nintendo games from my 16 in 1 games cartridge...

My favourites were:

Super mario (what else?)
mario cart
contra
tennis
wombatrpgs
dharmin wrote:

mario cart

I've always liked this series's way of throwbacks via courses. Always good to remember the old Mario Kart.
Manualguidadex
muffinman187 wrote:
duck hunt NES

How could a dog could be so hateful Evil or Very Mad and lovable Mr. Green at the same time?
wombatrpgs
Manualguidadex wrote:
muffinman187 wrote:
duck hunt NES

How could a dog could be so hateful Evil or Very Mad and lovable Mr. Green at the same time?

Hey, if the dog didn't have any attitude, it wouldn't be so lovable.

EDIT: also why is Mr. Green the name of a smiley...?
Sabbadon
I had Amiga 500, this is my "old good time" list:
1. Goal
2. Kick-Off 2
3. Elite II
4. International Karate +
5. It came from the Desert 2
6. Eye of the Beholder
7. The Last Ninja Saga
codegeek
Ah, this brings back memories. As a 90's kid and a game addict from the start, I have played a lot of games on the old set with two joysticks. You had to connect it to the TV with a jack, put a game cartridge in and you were ready to go. My first games on it were Super Mario and Duck Hunt. Boy, I loved shooting those ducks!

I have also played a lot of Contra. The first ones with the S bubble bullets flying in all directions, and the one with the fighting on the plane, and where you could choose characters. I loved playing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat with my brothers. I even liked the less popular games like Popeye, Galaxian etc.

My favourite game was definitely Captain America. You had to cross various levels as Hawkeye as well. There was a game called Chip and Dale where you could throw the other player at the enemy. That was fun as well. I have finished the classics like Jungle Book, Lion King, Sonic the hedgehog etc. I will never forget Super Mario though. A lot of fond memories associated to that game. Anyone know where I can get an emulator?
mreldritchuncanny
when it comes to old school gaming only one series truly comes to mind for me. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been mentioned. C'mon hasn't anyone here played the Metal Slug series?
wombatrpgs
mreldritchuncanny wrote:
when it comes to old school gaming only one series truly comes to mind for me. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been mentioned. C'mon hasn't anyone here played the Metal Slug series?

I have a couple times, can't say it was very memorable though. What made it stand out for you?