FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Space shuttle design dictated thousands of years ago?

ocalhoun
It sounds very unlikely, but actually, it seems that it is probably true.

The Roman chariots were built with a wheel spacing wide enough to accommodate two horses, and they were standardized.

Those chariots made ruts in the Roman roads, so everyone else who made chariots or wagons made them to the same width, because otherwise the chariot ruts would break the wheels of the odd-sized ones. This practice continued long after the Roman chariots were gone, because the ruts never changed.

The builders of the first early railroad used templates for construction based off of wagons from that day: with wheel spacing to fit those ruts.

The builders of the first more modern railroads used the same width because they saw no reason to change it.

The builders of US railroads used the same width, because that's what they were used to using, and it would make parts compatible across the Atlantic.

The booster rockets of the space shuttle had to be transported by rail, and one section of the trip passed through a tunnel that was barely wide enough for a train. The designers of the rockets would have preferred a fatter rocket, but had to make do with this width.

And that's how a Roman official designing the standardized chariot to fit two horses affected the design of the space shuttle...

If he only knew.

(Distilled and paraphrased from a much longer e-mail I received)
standready
Interesting. What is next since the Shuttles are being put out to pasture like the two horses?
sana618
standready wrote:
Interesting. What is next since the Shuttles are being put out to pasture like the two horses?

may be flying saucers, only instead of the aliens flying them human will be flying them to the distance galaxies.
Vladalf
It's funny. I wouldn't have tought about it.
tony
ocalhoun wrote:
It sounds very unlikely, but actually, it seems that it is probably true.
The booster rockets of the space shuttle had to be transported by rail, and one section of the trip passed through a tunnel that was barely wide enough for a train. The designers of the rockets would have preferred a fatter rocket, but had to make do with this width.

Yes; I have heard this too ; very interesting fact!
Agent ME
Sounds interesting, but any sources to this?
bonestorm74
Hmm interesting indeed. I suppose there are many such examples of this kind of thing in everyday life as legacies of the past are all around us, are they not?
shkumbin
bonestorm74 wrote:
Hmm interesting indeed. I suppose there are many such examples of this kind of thing in everyday life as legacies of the past are all around us, are they not?

Yes I belive there a lot of things people predicted in the past that are implemented just now!
PatTheGreat42
I'm wondering if this story has gotten more and more and more and more apocrphyical, or whatever word I'm trying to spell there.
Fatality
Very interesting piece of information. Thanks for sharing. I can see how that would make sense, it goes to show how much we DON'T change. Very Happy

I'll have to pass this on!
ninjakannon
Agent ME wrote:
Sounds interesting, but any sources to this?

I was thinking the same!

Also, while the chronology is nice it has little meaning. The past affects the present and hence the future, we know that already. Lots of things have seemingly unrelated and unexpected consequences. For example, I wouldn't be alive today if Stalin had not had many (or all) of my family on my mum's dad's side of the family killed and, furthermore, if WWII had not occurred (but this latter point is true for millions of people, I only mention it as it's related to my former point).
snowynight
Amazing...
But actually this unbelieveable until I can see it myself...
Who knows since the earth has a history of more than 4 billion years, and man's history is only 1 second in 24 hours is compared to this very long history of the earth. Anything may have happened during that period.
Very Happy
slashnburn99
Good Story

If happening in this Century,

I wonder if they would tweak the tracks or spend 6 months on the theory of the Roman Design,

finding out the Computer said it was off by a whopping 0.0001 and so would change the whole design
and mess up the standardisation, where they would then open another project and do the same in Europe and double the costs and take twice as long!

On another note, how many horsepower is a space shuttle