FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PS3: Little Big Planet... Opinions?

eznet
Hello all.
I got a PS3 for Christmas and am in the process of getting some games for it. So far I only have Uncharted, Unreal, Resistance 1 and PAIN. Since the commercials for Little Big Planet started, I have wanted to check out the game - unfortunately, the game is always checked out at the rental store and I would hate to buy it if its not a must have game.

So, Frihost community, do any of you all own Little Big Planet? How do you feel about it? Is it a passive interest or a must have for the library? I am just a little curious. I am seriously considering buying the game, but it is staying high and I want to know if it is worth it before I drop $50 on it...

Thanks!
Kelcey
I was in the beta and found it fun. But not 60 bucks worth of fun. It is full of creativity and I have nothing but respect for Media Molecule. They did a DARN good job with LBP. It's just not my kind of game. I can't really name any faults with the game other than it just wasn't for me.
eznet
I am finding the same I fear... I purchased it after wrestling with the idea for some time and just cannot say that I have found it terribly fun... I am not saying it has no value - it is visually stunning, funny, witty, innovative and promotes creativity in its players...

All in all, I would have to rank it a great game - for someone else... I need a somewhat linear storyline - an objective... something that this game seems to be somewhat missing... I like open ended games, so I don't think thats the problem - just that the levels are so compartmentalized that each one feel more like a mini-demo showcasing the physics and design of the game's framework more than actually creating an involving storyline drawing the gamer into continued play.

I would imagine that teens (likely especially pre-teens - I loved Mario Paint when I was about 11-12) would like this... Its a nice time killer for me when I have 10 mins for mindless gaming, though I don't find myself wanting to pop this one in when I am in the "gaming mood"...
eday2010
LittleBigPlanet - and to a lesser extent, Mod Nation Racers - is the only reason I want to get a PS3. I have no interest in the rest of the exclusives, and everythign else can be played on my Wii or 360.
Sparda
I do own a copy of Little Big Planet for the PS3 Smile Of course.. I don't play it anymore. It was more of one of those games you play a little while and then give it up. Don't get me wrong, it was nice and all just not something I want to keep playing. Best feature of the game in my opinion is the multiplayer. I love to play with friends and family to get to the top of the game. Even after knowing we missed some stickers or bubbles we go back into the level to try to find that ones that we missed haha. Overall was very unique games and really fun to play with others Smile
LostOverThere
From what I played from it, I adored it. The game had so much charm and the online community was superb. Really, LBP is one of the top reasons why I want a PS3. I can't really speak any more highly of it, its awesome.
spinout
I just got it.... jippie !
ponda
Little Big Planet was awesomesauce in my opinion, and although you seem to be more inclined towards first person shooters, the reviews that LBP got metioned that is it a game that can be for anyone. My personal favorite part of it is the customization.
spinout
well tried it - hm - I wonder why the background is so blurry???

I am not the puzzle gam type at all actulllay... But well it was a good idea for sony to make this... It is too many shooters around.
IRandom
I have lbp it's worth the buy, but you need quite a lot of patience to make a good level, if ure going for trophies then its a good game because you get trophies for placing a sticker and a gold for playing 150 community levels, commenting on 50 and tagging 100! I do recommend it and it can make time fly if ure waiting for an important message or something to upload on youtube! SO yeah get it! Very Happy
j00gotpwnd
I really love Little Big Planet. I don't even know how far I've gotten in the game, but I just love playing the user created levels. The time that some people put into their creations is mind blowing. You should really pick up a copy, because it is one hell of a game!
spinout
hm, is the homemade tracks better???
chiragpatnaik
eznet wrote:
Hello all.
I got a PS3 for Christmas and am in the process of getting some games for it. So far I only have Uncharted, Unreal, Resistance 1 and PAIN. Since the commercials for Little Big Planet started, I have wanted to check out the game - unfortunately, the game is always checked out at the rental store and I would hate to buy it if its not a must have game.

So, Frihost community, do any of you all own Little Big Planet? How do you feel about it? Is it a passive interest or a must have for the library? I am just a little curious. I am seriously considering buying the game, but it is staying high and I want to know if it is worth it before I drop $50 on it...

Thanks!

LBP should cost much less than $50. Here in India, the price is already less than $30 (eqv).

Unreal Tournament III at $15 (on Amazon) it is quite a steal. And an excellent pick.

Orange box is excellent value for money as well.

If you like Racing (especially trick racing). Pure is another game that I recommend picking up.

BTW, If you are planning to buy any movies from Amazon, consider waiting till the 22nd.
spinout
Stay away from the orange box - it's a bad conversion!! i hate bad conversions...

LBP - the blurry background - onyone alse hate that???
spinout
LBP has such charms - but in Sweden they hired a tv-voice that a really dislike... so it looses it charm a bit.
eznet
So... I have neglected this thread for a minute - glad to see it of use Smile

So, I did eventually pick up a copy of LBP on ebay... shortly after I read that PS3 games are not region locked... In all, I think I paid ~$30 USD... This was some number of months ago (about 3 weeks after starting this thread).

All in all, the game is nice... I really like the quirky, tongue in cheek humor... "We would like to say that no popits where harmed... we would like to." Dark, yet still laughable to a small kid (which I am at heart)... I also liked that it reminded me of the humor and tone of The Hitchhiker's Guide as it is my favorite book/series/movie of all time...

This said, I did loose interest in the game after about 2 weeks of casual gaming... The game felt as if it were a passive puzzle game and the story line, albeit often time funny, was not too enthralling or involving to me as a player. I still pick it up from time to time to kill a quick 15 mins, but find myself loosing interest after extended play.

Since I usually game alone (married for 8+ years to a wifey with no interest in games), I have found the requirement of having multiple players for many of the maps to be somewhat cumbersome... Sure, I know I can pair up with others online - which does work well - but I usually like to be able to play my 1 player game as a single player...

In the end, I do feel the game to be solid and highly entertaining - if even only in short bursts... I do feel that were I about 15-20yr younger (putting me back in the prime of my gaming), I would have become more involved... but now I am old and find myself drawn mostly to FPS and fighting games, so I am guessing that LBP will be a passive experience at most...

Anyone else still playing it alot? If you don't mind sharing your general age when you mention if you like it still or not... Myself, I am 28...
spinout
my kid actually plays it alot - but mostly races online...
ato784
I could never get into that game, my friend has it and i never liked it
Ankhanu
I really found Little Big Planet to be really well designed. It's a surprisingly creative little game, the premise is really solid and it's well implemented. Stephen Fry was an excellent choice for narration and the writing is appropriately cheeky. The visual design is really nice; lush and full of little details that are easily overlooked, but add to the enjoyment when you notice them. The fabric/cardboard style was a really good idea. The customizability is a big draw for my wife and daughter, but less of one for me... my sack person is simply white cotton with X eyes, and I like it that way Razz

There is criticism that it's fairly repetitive... I can see that, it's a puzzle game, that's how they work. There are a few ways to solve puzzles and the game reuses them in differing combinations throughout... but it's still fun and there's a tonne to discover and explore.

The controls are my main beef. It works fairly well, but the in and out movement (3D simulation) is a little dodgy at times. The main criticism on control I heard was on the floaty jumping physics, but that doesn't bother me so much. Within the first intro scene you get to play around with the control and figure out the jumping pretty easily. Just don't expect it to do what it's not desgned to Razz

All in all, it's definitely a recommended game, and I think Sony could have done a lot more with it in terms of implementing the characters as avatars or what have you, sort of like Miis.
SunD3R
It gets boring really quickly unless you have family and friends to play it with.
ponda
Hello all.

Thanks!
-------------------------

Little Big Planet is the bomb!!! I love that game! It really depends, if you like just having fun, stress-free no-pressure gameplay, then the game is for you. But if you constantly need zombies or aliens chasing after you then maybe not...
Auctus
I played the PSP one. I don't know how similar they are, but it seemed to me like just another platformer. Granted, you can customize your character, but so what? Mario was doing this 20 years ago. I'm looking for something new. Everyone else probably disagrees though Razz
pscompanies
Auctus wrote:
I played the PSP one. I don't know how similar they are, but it seemed to me like just another platformer. Granted, you can customize your character, but so what? Mario was doing this 20 years ago. I'm looking for something new. Everyone else probably disagrees though Razz

I'm planning to get the PSP one, together with Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines.. It isn't too good? Maybe I'll reconsider my decision about getting this game..
wombatrpgs
Ugh, I don't know why, but I can't stand this game. As far as I can tell, it's a platformer with clunky controls and not a whole lot to accomplish. I don't really even see the puzzle mechanic to it... I don't own this one and only play with friends, but all I've seen are gimmicky sorts of things without any real gameplay. Don't get me wrong; I'm not an FPS person and I've clocked a lot of hours on other puzzle games, but it seems to me the only thing going for it here are the interesting graphics, which get old after a while. There's nothing especially innovative apart from that, and the physics seem to really limit what the user can put together.

Could someone please explain exactly what you're supposed to do...? I mean, if I were to sit down at this thing for 3 hours, what would I be doing?
eday2010
I love this game, and the fact that there are so many user-created levels. After playing it for a while though, I can say that I do not like the controls. Jumping front to back on the 3D plane doesn't always work the way you want, and the jumping leaves a lot to be desired. I guess they based Sackboy's movements on real world physics in order to show off the consoles horsepower, but the game would have been better served with traditional platformer jumps and physics.

Multiplayer is fun, but New Super Mario Bros. Wii is definitely more fun with 4 players. In any case, I still love LittleBigPlanet. It's fantastic despite its flaws.
Starrfoxx
I got to play a little bit of this game, because my cousin had brought his PS3 into town over the holidays and showed us. It's a cute little game, and it would be one reason for me to buy a PS3 in the future. My daughter loved playing it too.

And then later, we had seen the movie "9" and we thought... "Hey, look! It's the sack people!" Very Happy
Flakky
You could download the demo but I totally recommend to play this game. It is better when you have friends playing it as well. But play the demo and enjoy Smile
ashishmundhra
eznet wrote:
Hello all.

Thanks!

Ohhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jamatu
LBP is fun for both playing games other people have created or for designing and making your own level(s) if you're a creative type of person. Where it really shines in my opinion is multiplayer games, especially if the people you play with are in the same room as you. It's so fun egging each other on to get to the next section or working together to figure out a puzzle, it really is addictive.

I would recommend buying it. Have you not got any friends that you can borrow it off instead of renting it?
Starrfoxx
I bought my copy used for around $20, and we love the game. It's fun to play, cute, and has a lot of charm.
wombatrpgs
Ha, looks like it's not reselling for much then... Though I'll admit it has charm.
Covert-Waffles
I loved this game at first, then after trying to go through it, I started to get sick of it. Now, every time I think of the game, I just get physically sick..... Not a good thing.

I will admit though, it was fun at first.... Just not a very good game to play for a long time.
Starrfoxx
I still enjoy the game, although I don't have much time to play. We haven't updated our PS3 yet, so we can't go online just yet. I am looking forward to the world of the game with all the mods, content, worlds, and levels people have created.

Modnation Racers looks excellent too for all the same reasons.
Aulos
I've almost beaten the game currently. I suppose I understand that the platforming can get boring or bland at times... all due to some unexciting level design. A few moments are quite good... one right now is very interesting. I like how the game makes you slow down and think.... but once you know how to approach an obstacle, you can clear it without much problem again. It doesn't take much skill and precision, compared to traditional platformers and other retro arcade games.

I hope that some well designed community levels are available. That seemed to be the biggest asset to LBP, that the fun you could have was only limited by the creativity of you and the other players. I guess being into art and other creative pursuits just makes designing a level very appealing to me. There's a lot you can do in create mode.
wombatrpgs
Aulos wrote:
It doesn't take much skill and precision, compared to traditional platformers and other retro arcade games.

You have to be some sort of videogame god to shift between foreground/background. Ugggggh.