FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Toshiba Satellite A200: shuts down without warning

ciureanuc
Hi,

I would like some help with an A200 Toshiba Laptop: it goes off suddenly. Without the main power connection, WITH the main power connection, with the battery in (battery + main power) or not (without the main power), with battery only... the same problem: it goes off suddenly! Sad
I have good care of my laptop but in one day I didn't insert well the plug for main power (only half). The LED for recharging was on so I didn't see the problem... the wire and the plug get quite hot (very hot I say).
When the smell "notify" me, I knew something was wrong and I correct the problem.
Everything was fine then, the cable get cold and the laptop worked fine.
Till last week, when I plugged in the power for recharge... in 3 seconds the laptop was off and now, from time to time is going off. Sometimes seconds from the start, other times minutes, or... doesn't stop at all (till my restart).
What's wrong and... can I repair it myself?
ocalhoun
The wire and plug got hot? Sounds like a short in the power system, probably in that wire, but possibly also in the box in/on the wire or in the power supply of your laptop. Likely, that short is either intermittently causing the power supply to fail, or has damaged something else that the power supply depends on. Try using a different power cord if possible, and if that doesn't work, take it in for expert repair, hopefully it has a warranty. If a new chord doesn't fix it, and you can't afford an expert, it is somewhat possible that you might find the outputs of the laptop's power supply, and replace them with the outputs of a normal ATX power supply. That would effectively make your computer a desktop, and you would need both electronics skill and good luck to make it work, but it might be possible.

Another less threatening possibility is that this short is causing the overheat protection circuits to activate. If you can fix that short, the problem may go away without further issues.
ciureanuc
The wire and plug got hot? Sounds like a short in the power system, probably in that wire, but possibly also in the box in/on the wire or in the power supply of your laptop. Likely, that short is either intermittently causing the power supply to fail, or has damaged something else that the power supply depends on. Try using a different power cord if possible, and if that doesn't work, take it in for expert repair, hopefully it has a warranty.
The problem persists even with the battery only.
That hot cable WAS BEFORE, when I fix the connection (by re-inserting the plug in full position), the problem disappeared. Now I don't get hot cables anymore, the laptop is really cold I say (not because is dead Smile ). For example, yesterday and today I didn't get any issues with the power... but I might guess tomorrow morning...
You know, the problem is not consistent and this drives me crazy. Because, when it's working ok, you cannot tell from where come the problem. Sad
I hope I will not have to change my motherboard...[/i]
ocalhoun
^Don't worry; you won't have to change the motherboard. Doing so is practically impossible on a laptop; you'd be getting a new laptop!

Well, whether the power cable messed it up in the first place or not, there must be an internal problem then. When it shuts down, is it abnormally hot? After it shuts down, will it start right up again? Does it shut itself off more frequently if you turn it back on and try to keep using it?
psycosquirrel
It is probably overheating. But, it is also possible that the problem is an issue with the power regulation circuitry on the motherboard. There could be a faulty capacitor that loses charge, and hence, drops current to the rest of the motherboard and kills the system.

Either way, it is a problem with the motherboard, not the OS. It's time for a new laptop.