FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help, Constant Crashing !URGENT

lw_93
recently my computer keeps on crashing.
the light on the front stays on constantly and then the whole machine freezes up
im using the new AVG which is up to date and when i scan the most it finds are tracking cookies
i need someone to help me quickly as all coursework and things are on there and i need it for this week
please help me
luke
badai
if you just need your files so badly, you can just remove the hard drive and plug it to another computer.
lw_93
there's not another working pc I can use and anyways I want this fixed not just a temporary solution to get my files

[/quote]
Donutey
What light on the front stays on constantly? The HDD light?
Is it booting into the operating system? Or Not?
lw_93
Donutey wrote:
What light on the front stays on constantly? The HDD light?
Is it booting into the operating system? Or Not?

the HDD light stays on
the computer boots up and will work for 10 minutes max then it will all freeze up and the HDD light will stay on
Kelvin
If your HDD light is on all the time means your computer is porcessing constantly due to some background apps running or your antivirus/spyware doing a scan routine. Try to disable or remove startup applications from your computer that are not necessary. Also check to see the scan schedule of your antivirus or spywre program like Spybot or Windows Defender. It may be scheduled to run when your computer starts so your computer HDD is processing non stop till it hangs. Also check if your cooling fans are working properly from all the built up dust.
AftershockVibe
Kelvin, Antivirus and Antispyware will run when Windows boots, not beforehand and that wouldn't cause the light to stay on after a "crash". Looks to me like the hardware is having severe problems.

Unfortunately I can't venture much of a guess as to exactly what. Main suspects are as usual... the hard disk itself (does it do it in other computers?), the RAM (to test, download a bootable linux CD and run memcheck), or your motherboard. Of course, Windows may also just be doing something tragically wrong too, although this is less likely.
Kaseas
This is a heating problem. Some component is overheating and the computer is shutting down to prevent damage (fire in your house). Are all the fans spinning?
coreymanshack
I had AVG antivirus for a month. It created activity on my hard disk even when there was no schedualed event and the machine was at idle. Sometimes I would come back to my computer and it had crashed while I was asleep or something. I just uninstalled AVG last night, and installed NOD32. I immediatley noticed a difference in load times at start up. My computer did not crash last night, where it was crashing every night. My system doesn't have awkward Hard Disk activity either. Your problem is most likely not that, it is probably a heating problem or something of the sort. This post was ment to try and get you to install NOD32, because I think I added AVG to my rescource hog list.
(AVG could be hogging up so many rescources making your computer overheat and act funny, but that's a long shot)

Have you tried booting in safe mode to see if it's a software or hardware problem?
welshsteve
This could be caused by a number of different things.

Are you able to boot into safe mode ok without any isses?

If no, then:

* A RAM module may be "dodgy"
* Your power supply may be broken, causing the machine to overheat quickly

If safe mode is ok, then maybe there's some software causing the problem, or maybe even some third party hardware driver.
MarzEz
does the computer reboot, freeze suddenly, or just gradually slow down?
if the computer just freezes, then it's probably not an overheating problem: that usually causes your computer to reboot.
if it slows down, and then stops, you may have a fork bomb on your computer.
also, if your computer bluescreens, try using another computer to type the stop error code into google.
coreymanshack
MarzEz wrote:
does the computer reboot, freeze suddenly, or just gradually slow down?
if the computer just freezes, then it's probably not an overheating problem: that usually causes your computer to reboot.
if it slows down, and then stops, you may have a fork bomb on your computer.
also, if your computer bluescreens, try using another computer to type the stop error code into google.

This post was urgent on january 25, and he said he doesn't have another computer in a previous post.

I beg to differ on the "just freeze" concept. If the mobo doesn't have thermal sensors, or they are not working properly, It could still freeze if it overheats and not reboot. Could be the hard disk over heating too.

We will not know if it's hardware or software causing this since the user never told us that they booted into safe mode successfuly or unsucessfuly.
MarzEz
sorry, i don't often check timestamps on posts..
once, on another forum, i posted on a topic where the last post was four years old. Embarassed
jcvincent75
It might be a hardware problem.

What is the specs of your pc? Do you have more than one memory module installed? if you have more than one memory module installed, what are the sizes or each module(in MB or GB).Are they the same size(like 1GB each or 2GB each or not)? Are they the same brand or not? If one of the above things I mentioned is true, try to remove the other memory module and just use one memory. Let's see what will happen.

Try to check those things. Memory problems can cause a lot of problems with your pc.

Cheers!