FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hitchhiking

Afaceinthematrix
Who has ever hitchhiked before? I've tried hitchhiking before but no one has ever picked me up! It's not exactly a safe thing to do these days (especially in Southern California). I was just thinking about this because the other day I picked up a hitchhiker for the first time. I was a little nervous (considering it was late at night and a bunch of weirdos were out) but it was interesting... It would seem like a fun way to travel around a foreign country.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Who has ever hitchhiked before? I've tried hitchhiking before but no one has ever picked me up! It's not exactly a safe thing to do these days (especially in Southern California). I was just thinking about this because the other day I picked up a hitchhiker for the first time. I was a little nervous (considering it was late at night and a bunch of weirdos were out) but it was interesting... It would seem like a fun way to travel around a foreign country.

I would have safety worries about it too. Think there are too many horror movies about it, the guys who are tempted to do harm, will probably feel challenged if they see a hitchhiker, and hitchhikers taking a great chance. And conversely the drivers may be at risk. Wish we could get back to those days though, must have been a nice way to travel.
ocalhoun
I've gotten around by hitchhiking several times... mostly because of broken-down cars though, not just for the fun of it.
I also pick them up all the time.

My idea behind this is that I shouldn't be afraid of them, they should be afraid of me. Twisted Evil
From my days delivering pizza, I learned that when you 'speak softly and carry a big stick' people are nearly always nice to you.
Parkour_Jarrod
I have never hitch hiked but i probably will in America when i go there on holidays to a cop car see what happens cause apparently its illegal there Surprised

ocalhoun what if you speak loudly and have a small stick Question
Libby
I've never hitchhike myself, but I pick up hitchhikers whenever I can... Some of the best conversations I've ever had with strangers were with folks I picked up on the side of the road!

This one guy, the first thing he told me was, "I just got out of jail." And I was like o.O I just picked up the wrong person! But he was very nice, he just didn't have money for a fine so he got jailed. He had a lot of good stories about his kids and we talked politics too.

But please if you need a ride home from jail -- don't tell the person who picks you up. Just lie and say your car broke down. Everyone will rest easier, I promise.
davidfromoz
I hitchhiked a lot when I was younger. I hitchhiked all around Tasmania (Australia). I had a lot of great experiences doing it too. I also picked up a lot of hitchhikers after I got a car. I met some very interesting people.

Its not a fast way to get around. I had a few occasions where I didn't get picked up. Once I walked for 40km and got where I was going without being in a car at all. On the other hand, I once had a race with my brother, who took the bus, and beat him on a 100km trip.

I think its really sad that hitchhiking has become much less common. I'd like to live in a world where people help eachother out. I'd say that its now very much a fringe activity. I haven't hitchhiked for a while now but every now and then I do pick up a hitchhiker (as far as I can see there are no hitchhikers here in Japan). When I do pick up hitchhikers these days they seem a lot less mainstream. I haven't picked one up that made me regret it though.

You'll meet people you never would have met before.
Hitchhiking experiences:
I got picked up by the president of our local bank who told me the inside story of the first case of computerized bank fraud I'd ever heard of.

I was discharged from a tiny rural hospital in the middle of nowhere after a car crash with blood all over my shirt and a bloody bandage on my head. I expected to walk all the way home (80 km.) But at 2AM I got picked up by these two girls who were very, very stoned. I was still a bit nervy after the crash, but decided to take the ride even though I am sure there was an increased risk of another accident. I almost certainly wouldn't have got another ride. -Heard David Bowie - Cat People for the first time!

I got picked up by 3 very rough looking guys, dressed in all black who were returning from visiting their friend in prison. Honestly, they scared the hell out of me. I bought some beers at the next stop and we shared them and had a very nice time.

My brother got picked up by the first environmental politician I ever heard of. He went on to become premier of our state and head a national green political party.
ocalhoun
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

ocalhoun what if you speak loudly and have a small stick Question

Bad things happen. People hate you.
Afaceinthematrix
davidfromoz: You have some interesting stories. I'm going to start picking up more hitchhikers when I see them (which isn't too often). The other day was the first time I've ever picked one up (although I have given strangers rides before, but it's always been because I've met them somewhere and then given them a ride).