FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Domain name changing.

ParsaAkbari
How long would it take for me to cancel my domain name, change registrar and then change hosts?

Just need to find out so i know how long my website will be down while im moving it to frihost.
rvec
depends on the configuration.
If you only have one url and no subdomains that part will take a day at most for all the changes to work.

If you have only one dir with a couple of mb of files that'll be done in a couple of min (normal connection), but if you have thousands of small icon files (or script/html pages) then it might take a bit longer (although this part will never take more than an hour).

If you have (a) database(s) that will also take some time, about 1-5 min per database I think.
Bondings
ParsaAkbari wrote:
How long would it take for me to cancel my domain name, change registrar and then change hosts?

Just need to find out so i know how long my website will be down while im moving it to frihost.

Could you maybe explain what exactly you want to do? Because what I understand from it doesn't seem ok.

First of all, if you want to keep your domain name you shouldn't cancel it. If you want to put it on a different registrar, you need to transfer it to that one, which will take a while. But this won't change anything to your website being down or not.

If you want to put your domain on Frihost, while it's currently hosted somewhere else, then you only need to change the nameservers of the domain from the current ones to ours (depending on the server, check your account page). When you change the nameservers, the changes are not immediate, they need to propagate. This depends on the TTL (Time To Live) of the nameservers and is generally a few hours (your host might change it for you to something low, normally you don't have direct access to it and it's set by default to a few hours usually). The TTL is more or less the time to cache the dns settings.

If you have a mostly static website there should be no downtime. Before changing the nameservers, make sure on the new server the domain is properly setup and the content is there. Then change the nameservers and either people will go to the old host or to the new one during the propagation time and afterwards only to the new one. If there is dynamic content, copy it on the new host before moving and all changes on the old host afterwards will be lost. That's why making the TTL lower is a good idea in that case (I did it when moving this website to another server).
ParsaAkbari
Ah okay, i will tell you the full story then:

I got a free domain for 2 yrs of "A" host, after a while i realised they dont support PHP.

Meanwhile i had aquired a free domain for 1 year for a particular registrar (not the one im using now)

Then i found frihost, so i want to move my domain to the "particular" registrar, then move it to frihost.

Cancel my host and get my domain "code" ---> change registrars --> renew my domain time --> change hosts
Bondings
Ah ok I understand.

Since you don't have php the content will most likely be static. So I advise you to add the domain now to your account here and also the files.

I have no idea how long a registrar change takes. Changing the nameservers will take something between 3 and 24 hours most likely, probably 6 hours and a bit longer for the people who visited your website just before the move.
ParsaAkbari
Okay I added the domain runescapeclan.co.uk, could you please check to see if its my account thats added it, as somebody could have read this post before me.

Is the changing nameservers automatic? If not what time are you usually online so i can change name servers then so it goes faster.
Bondings
Yes your domain was added ok. You can normally only add a domain once, so if another user would have done it earlier, you wouldn't have been able to. You do still need to put your files in /domains/runescapeclan.co.uk/public_html .

After putting the files there, you only need to change the nameservers at your registrar. Any requests going to the server for your domain will show the contents from the public_html directory mentioned above (currently the default index file). You don't need any setup at our side for nameservers.
Bondings
Yes your domain was added ok. You can normally only add a domain once, so if another user would have done it earlier, you wouldn't have been able to. You do still need to put your files in /domains/runescapeclan.co.uk/public_html .

After putting the files there, you only need to change the nameservers at your registrar. Any requests going to the server for your domain will show the contents from the public_html directory mentioned above (currently the default index file). You don't need any setup at our side for nameservers.
ParsaAkbari
Bondings wrote:

Ah yes, but my worry is that my host gave me free domain for 2yrs (very trustworthy host) and they wont give me the "code" unless i cancel it,

so i will need to cancel it, change registrars, renew it again, then change name servers.

Sad how long do you predict my website will be down?

EDIT:
Another thing i can add to my list of newbie mistakes:

writing http://..../page.html

instead of /page.html
Bondings
I checked the time it takes to change from registrar and it seems to be up to a week. I'm not sure if this is the exception or the norm, but it sure seems a lot.

About the nameserver change, most likely this is only a matter of hours, probably 6 to 8 but up to 24-48 theoretically (but not likely).
ParsaAkbari
Bondings wrote:
I checked the time it takes to change from registrar and it seems to be up to a week. I'm not sure if this is the exception or the norm, but it sure seems a lot.

About the nameserver change, most likely this is only a matter of hours, probably 6 to 8 but up to 24-48 theoretically (but not likely).

during this week will my website be down?

if so is it possible to somehow redirect my traffic?
Bondings
ParsaAkbari wrote:
Bondings wrote:

during this week will my website be down?

if so is it possible to somehow redirect my traffic?

You could ask them to change the nameservers to ours before you cancel the account.

Otherwise, if after canceling your account your website data on that host is still available for a week, then there is no problem.

If both are not possible, then your website will still be pointed to them and won't display your website until the nameservers are changed (and propagated which is a question of hours). This can take up to a week apparently but I'm not sure about this, it might be shorter but don't count on it. If all this downtime is not acceptable to you, then I advise you to stay at your previous host for that website, if possible, especially since you stated they are very thrustworthy.