FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

water cooled pc info needed

titus1972
I am tires of the sound from my fans on my pc especially when I run in overclocked mode. To that end i am looking at all kinds of water cooled add on systems ranging from 100-1500 bucks. I want to spend about 2-300. I know thats kinda cheap thats why i am asking...

Does anyone anyone have a recommendation for a full water cooled solution for under 300 dollars? I mean you own or have seen a reliable efficient setup that should run without any serious modification or extra kits needed. Thanks.
ocalhoun
Hm... Liquid cooling type heat sink + A/C radiator from the junkyard + water pump = A very interesting project...

It would be cheap, but it would require extensive modifications, and would be only as reliable as you build it...

Well, have fun with that, or just buy the best kit you can for $200. Spending that much just to get rid of a small noise seems very excessive to me though... Perhaps you should just look into getting a quieter fan? Is the one you have now cheap and low quality?

(Or go and get a PC from the good old days when CPU's didn't have fans at all! ^.^)
titus1972
It's not so much the noise but when i crank up the overclocking the fans max out and do not do a good job of keeping the heat down to a reasonable level if left running for extended periods of time.

And I cannot exclude my other reson for wanting this ... first timers disease. It's when an uncontrollable urge comes over you to do somthing you would not normally do, and it may last for weeks. Untill you do the thing that was desired and after you think or say why did i want to do that so bad? I get it all the time.[/quote]
ocalhoun
titus1972 wrote:

And I cannot exclude my other reson for wanting this ... first timers disease. It's when an uncontrollable urge comes over you to do somthing you would not normally do, and it may last for weeks. Untill you do the thing that was desired and after you think or say why did i want to do that so bad? I get it all the time.

You should definitely go for the junkyard then! ^.^ That's something worth showing off to your friends, and showing off online, too!
"You installed a liquid-cooling kit? Meh."
"You made your own liquid cooling system from old car parts? Awesome! Show me!"
psycosquirrel
DON'T DO IT.

Coming from someone who has made that mistake TWICE, it is a giant hassle and money hole that is more trouble than it is worth. Sure, you'll get obscene overclocks at near-room temps (with a proper setup), but it is too much work to keep up with. Leaks are inevitable. No matter what coolant you use, it will eventually corrode (after less than a year) and start to perform badly. If that happens, you have to disassemble the entire system, clean it out with distilled vinegar, replace all the tubing, and put it back together.

I just let my hardware suffer with high temps (around 60C), and keep it clocked high with fans low.

Ocalhoun - the DIY route is messy. One of my rigs took it, and it turned out... interesting... Most AC units can't keep up with the thermal load of a modern CPU too, so DIY phase becomes difficult.

Think about power usage too. Ew. The whole thing is just silly and overcomplicates things too much.
ocalhoun
psycosquirrel wrote:
Most AC units can't keep up with the thermal load of a modern CPU too,

How big a radiator do you need? A normal AC radiator would be far bigger than most of the ones that come with a liquid cooling kit, and I'd presume they're both about equally efficient. If need be, get a large, quiet fan to blow on it.

Don't want it to corrode? Use (again from the auto world) either light-weight oil or antifreeze as a coolant. Both will prevent corrosion, though the oil would prevent corrosion better, but the antifreeze would probably cool it a bit better.

If it leaks or not is entirely determined by how well you construct the connectors. Use a sealant compound on the joints: gasket material, plumber's putty, rubber cement, whatever works.

Power usage? You only have to power the pump. That's not too bad; lots of people waste a lot more power than that by putting pretty lights and such inside it.

I think its an awesome project... If I didn't have other things to do, I might try it myself.