FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unique backwaters in Kerala

ReethaMiller
Kerala is also famous for its Kerala Backwaters . The Kerala Backwaters are a network of rivers, streams, lagoons and canals that almost run the length of the state just behind the coastline. A boat trip along the backwaters affords a unique and peaceful view of Kerala village life with its waterside activities of coir making, toddy tapping, fishing and rice growing.

It is the backwater cruises that complete the tour to southern India take you through the winding waterways revealing the colorful culture and customs of the rural life. The magic of the mystical backwaters works on one and all. Though you may plan your backwater tour to Kerala anytime of the year, the best time for cruising is from October to March. Casual clothes in cotton are best suited for the backwater trip to Kerala. On your way back home from the backwaters of Kerala do not forget to pick up the best buys being offered by the region ranging from the carved wooden elephant souvenirs, assorted handicrafts like bell metal products, coir goods, sandalwood, brass and wooden items, conch shells, paintings and masks. All the travel service for the backwater tour of Kerala is easily available. Right from air ticketing to hotel/houseboat booking and car rentals all the facilities are available to make your holiday an unforgettable experience. The lagoons acted as link between interior land masses and the sea, taking the role of highways along which we, Kettuvallams could sail harnessing wind energy. A journey through the lagoons is interesting, passing through sleepy villages, busy boat jetties and vibrant celebrations. The boat glides across the shimmering blue waters with gorgeous green and fringed edges. The socio-economic infrastructure of these places depends on the coir industry and fishing. Later tile factories and brick kilns gained importance. As usual we carried products from these interior towns to the market at Alleppey.
ocalhoun
To save others the trouble of looking it up:
Kerala is in India.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Kerala is in India.

Good for you Ocalhoun, most people do not know where it is, unless you are sharing space with people from Kerala, like I do in the Middle East. There is a huge number of Indian people from Kerala working on contract all over the Middle East. Sending money home to Kerala. Kerala is also famous for Kottakal, the mecca of Ayurvedic treatments. It is famous for a Hospital there. I love Indian food, but especially from Kerala. The curry is a subtle blend of spices, rather than burning your mouth inside out, and they have a number of dishes incorporating coconut milk. I particularly like their Curry King Fish. I have not been there, but have a feeling where I am, that I am probably getting the best of Kerala. I do not do well with too many people per square inch, i.e. congregation and being squashed and it has happened to me a few times, so doubt I would like to travel to Kerala. If I do travel to India one day, probably would prefer Bangalore in the North and surrounding areas, or northern parts of Pakistan, provided that a friend of mine from Pakistan here can give be good directions, as of course some areas are not that safe. I love mountains however, and there are some fantastic places to camp out, far from the busy crowds, which I would like to avoid.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Kerala is in India.

Good for you Ocalhoun, most people do not know where it is,

^.^
Neither did I!
Google maps knew where it was though.
I may be far better with geography than your average American, but I certainly don't have that detailed a notion of the geography of that region.
Afaceinthematrix
The links did look nice, but I don't see what's so unique about them. Many countries have places that look just like that or that are very similar.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
The links did look nice, but I don't see what's so unique about them. Many countries have places that look just like that or that are very similar.

Agreed. I don't think it is an area that I am really interested in either. Pakistan fascinates me much more, feisty and passionate people and those mountains are beckoning. A trip that I really want to make, maybe even this year.