FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VirtualBox

Studio Madcrow
So yeah, apparently Sun makes a freeware (with an open source core, even) virtualization system called VirtualBox that has all the features of VMware Workstation (including nice guest/host integration and fancy stuff like USB emulation and 3D virtualization), but is 100% free for all non-commercial use. Does anyone here use it, or am I the first?
surdy
Well I did read about it sometime ago but haven't used it. I use VMware since I got a free license for it .

If you are using it do let me know if you find it better than VMware ? Anything you liked / isliked about the software ?
albuferque
VirtualBox is good. However I have trouble sometimes because it does not recognize all my available RAM, but that's another story. Generally it works great.
surdy
albuferque wrote:
VirtualBox is good. However I have trouble sometimes because it does not recognize all my available RAM, but that's another story. Generally it works great.

ohh ..so is it an issue with your system only or ..is it the virtualbox
hummer010
I've used VirtualBox quite a bit. It's a little easier to get going on Debian than VMWare. I've found that the networking options are a little lacking compared to VMWare, but otherwise, they seem pretty well the same. I've been using VirtualBox lately, just because of the open source end of it.
Studio Madcrow
hummer010 wrote:
I've used VirtualBox quite a bit. It's a little easier to get going on Debian than VMWare. I've found that the networking options are a little lacking compared to VMWare, but otherwise, they seem pretty well the same. I've been using VirtualBox lately, just because of the open source end of it.

Have you tried the newest version (2.1.x)? It actually has the same modes of networking as VMware (Bridged, NAT and Host-only)...
funky_programmer
Is that right? Well then, gotta go trying it soon, as soon as my hard disk space is enough. ;p
I have been on VMWare all times, but hearing that VirtualBox also supports OpenGL, I want to give it a try and compare its performance to VMWare.

Anyway, thanks Studio Madcrow for the networking info.
silverdown
I tried it once... I like it but I was just formatting my Hard Drive so i got rid of it..... But i like it
Studio Madcrow
funky_programmer wrote:
Is that right? Well then, gotta go trying it soon, as soon as my hard disk space is enough. ;p
I have been on VMWare all times, but hearing that VirtualBox also supports OpenGL, I want to give it a try and compare its performance to VMWare.

Anyway, thanks Studio Madcrow for the networking info.

Before you dop, though, please do remenber that VirtualBox's OpenGL support is still a bit experimental and that it is OpenGL only - so far D3D is completely unvirtualized which makes the Windows usability less than it could be.
welshsteve
I have used VirtualBox for sometime now for trying out various "flavours" of Linux. It's very simple to use. I'd highly recommend it.
ddukki
Pretty smooth integration with my OS, but the Unknown USB support could use a little work. I was trying to run a device in service mode and the Computer couldn't read it in Virtual Box. Other than that, it's pretty nice, having XP 32 on a Vista 64 system ^_^
forkei
I use the virtualbox because it's free
menino
Sounds good!
Am going to try it and will let you know how it is.
I hope the newer version has fixed all the older bugs and is more stable.

update :-
I've tried it and its quite good.
I need to check if it will support 64 bit, as I tried it and it didnt work, but am still working on it.
Bielhelm
Virtualbox is included with some code of OPENGL... so your graphicboard can emulate truly inside the box some games...
that is the future... not even VMware Fusion can do anything on the MAC and it costs loads of bucks...
but Virtualbox is free and runs any vmware-container.
bigt
albuferque wrote:

VB has worked pretty well for me. I haven't used it much since my computer crashed (maybe or maybe not because of VB), but I have used virturalBox for several months without problems. It's a good alternative.
dickyzin
This is the first time I've heard of Virtual Box. I should give it a try. Can it virtualise any Operating System?
leontius
I find virtualbox a bit more comfortable than vmware (using Ubuntu). Primarily it is just about the sound system as vmware does not support the sound system used by ubuntu yet so sound is kinda clunky.

For performance I think they are roughly the same. I didn't find any additional features of vmware that virtualbox doesn't have to be that essential. Virtualbox user interface is a bit simpler and less confusing. Btw yes, virtualbox now has the same options for network setup as vmware.
the zephyrus
I used virtualbox a lot for testing out stuff that might otherwise risk breaking my system. I like it because it does the main things you would expect (virtualize both windows and linux, and others too, but those two are my main needs) while being really lightweight (compared especially to the latest vmware server).