FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

domain registry fees - hidden

killianvillian
IF you wait to re register your domain name until the last week, you could have to pay more. I was lazy, and now my original domain registrar says they have to charge a 35$ transfer fee just to re register because they say they are no longer the managers of it. Plus the registration.

I also looked into transferring it, but within 7 days of expiry you cant transfer.

Heads up, everyone.
Hogwarts
Let me guess, you used Godaddy and you tried to renew it after the expiry time? Even if you're not using Godaddy, you tried to renew it after the expiry time. Many registrars register it for an extra month after the domain expires to 'protect' it, although it'll cost more money to renew during this time.
prithvi
Thanks for the info. Well, it's always advisable to renew in time.

So does the secret transfer code also expire after that last week?
shkhanal
Ooo! Thank you for reminding.

I'll be alerted to renew my domain name within the time. I can't pay additional money!
dude_xyx
there are many domain name registrars who let you renew domains within 14 days after the they get expired. I have renewed domains at Godaddy after 4-5 days of expiration. But I don't know what would happen if it has back ordered by someone or if they put it in auction. So if you domains are good onces better renew then on time before trouble starts. Some domain registrars like Directi let you even transfer your domain after the experiy but withing a 7 days i think.
k_s_baskar
prithvi wrote:
Thanks for the info. Well, it's always advisable to renew in time.

So does the secret transfer code also expire after that last week?

Yes secret code will also expire when the domain name reaches the expiry date. so you can't transfer expired domain to some other registrar.
Smile
mathiaus
I generally use the same registrar and all of my domains are automatically renewed. I assumed this was pretty standard with all of them, but I guess not?
dude_xyx
Auto renewal works only with Godaddy I think. Most of those send you mails reminding about the domains about to expire.