FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I want to learn portuguese

ssthanapati
I want to learn Portuguese... Is there any material available on the internet which can help me learn it. My friend speaks Portuguese so she can help me with the pronunciations. But it would be much better if there is a study plan and study materials available with it.

It would be great if the content i was talking about is available for free
brokenadvice
Wow, good luck. I looked into learning Brazilian Portuguese about a year ago (to impress a girl, of course). I didn't get very far (found out she had a boyfriend, but we became friends anyways). But yeah, your best ally will be a native speaker--the best thing would be to move to Brazil (or Portugal), but you can re-create some of the immersion. If you have a google homepage, you can add a word of the day gadget to help you with vocab.

Portuguese:

http://www.google.com/ig/directory?type=gadgets&url=www.transparent.com/widgets/igoogle-portuguese.xml

or Brazilian Portuguese:

http://www.google.com/ig/directory?type=gadgets&url=hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/112175810565358967088/Brazilian-Portuguese-Word-Of-The-Day-Large.xml

A thing to keep in mind is that there is a difference (though what I do not know) between Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese which you need to make before you start.
ssthanapati
Well my gf is brazillian Very Happy. Thats y i need to learn it. She does speak english.. and i am helping her polish her skills. But it would be better if i can learn portuguese as majority of the population in brazil only speaks portuguese. So I need to learn it in order to talk with her family.
cherry-pie
I think you can find something in http://www.easyportuguese.com/ or http://learnportuguese.elanguageschool.net/ or maybe you can try learn spanish XD~~
Good Luck Very Happy
zluis
Well I'm Portuguese, from Portugal.
Brasilians have a funny way of talking and they have a lot of expressions that we do not have in Portuguese. You may say that Portuguese from Brazil has a samba rythm to it.
In spite of the language being the same some Brazilians do not understand Portuguese when it is spoken with the Portuguese accent. Some Poruguese actors when working in Brazil hve to change the way they talk so that Brazilians can understand them.

You may download some songs from Brazil and others from Portugal and you'll see the diference.
Some words are also spelled diferently.
So my advice is to learn brazilian Portuguese if you want to talk with your girlfriend famillie's, they will understand you better, they won't moke you and the Brazilian has another flavour to it.

Good luck.
escritor
ssthanapati wrote:
I want to learn Portuguese... Is there any material available on the internet which can help me learn it.

A bit old, but great course: Portuguese Programmatic Course. I may help you on MSN too. Smile

zluis wrote:
Brasilians have a funny way of talking [...] You may say that Portuguese from Brazil has a samba rythm to it.

Keep in mind that there are many more people here (the city of São Paulo alone has more inhabitants than Portugal), and Brazil is the 5th largest country in the world. Dialects from different regions are very distinct from each other. So, don't think that everybody has this specific "rhythm" you noticed when listening to some people.
Asafe
zluis wrote:
Brasilians have a funny way of talking and they have a lot of expressions that we do not have in Portuguese. You may say that Portuguese from Brazil has a samba rythm to it.
In spite of the language being the same some Brazilians do not understand Portuguese when it is spoken with the Portuguese accent. Some Poruguese actors when working in Brazil hve to change the way they talk so that Brazilians can understand them.

You may download some songs from Brazil and others from Portugal and you'll see the diference.
So my advice is to learn brazilian Portuguese if you want to talk with your girlfriend famillie's, they will understand you better, they won't moke you and the Brazilian has another flavour to it.

Good luck.

Actually is a matter of point of view, to me Portuguese people has a funny way of speaking. I guess Angola thinks two of us are funny.
hannyflow
I used to teach Portuguese in college, now I moderated online discussion group devoted to learning and practice in Portugal and or English. You can learn Portuguese online practice with a native speaker who is learning the language. Write or speak Portuguese online to improve grammar and conversation. Language exchange learning is also inexpensive because we provide free tips and lesson plans that allow debate to change the language itself.
escritor
hannyflow wrote:
You can learn Portuguese online practice with a native speaker who is learning the language. Write or speak Portuguese online to improve grammar and conversation. Language exchange learning is also inexpensive because we provide free tips and lesson plans that allow debate to change the language itself.

I believe that he was already aware of everything you said, and that's why he started this thread. Do you have any relevant link for him?
D'Artagnan
well, livemocha is like a social network where people can learn foreign languages, i have tryied but since i never brought a mic i never enjoyed the full features of the website:

http://www.livemocha.com/
escritor
D'Artagnan wrote:
well, livemocha is like a social network where people can learn foreign languages

I like [url=http://www.sharedtalk.com/]SharedTalk[/ur] better. Smile
Carlos79
How about a course in Portugal? www.portugueseabroad.com
ep1c0t
zluis wrote:

Good luck.

Haha, that's funny actually. I'm brazilian and when I went to Portugal, some native portuguese couldn't understand my samba portuguese at first... weird huh?