FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to Slipstream Driver pack with XP?

bukaida
I have downloaded all the drivers from driverpack website along with their base software(in 7zip format).Now how can I integrate all of them with my XP cd? The method described in their site is not working for me. Do I need to extract all the drivers manually? Will the entire compilation fit on a single 4.2GB DVD? Also I am trying to make a DVD which when run on any machine will install everything commonly needed(All required Drivers,Office, pdf reader,Zip,codec,nero,antivirus,java runtime,dotnet framework etc etc). Is this scenario sounds too much optimistics? Please help.
Fire Boar
Driver pack? So... you're trying to fit everything on one CD? I highly doubt that Windows drivers could ALL be included on just the one CD.

If you're dealing with identical hardware, you can probably install on one, do a snapshot and restore it on each device. In other words, you're cloning the hard disk. But I'm not even sure if Microsoft will let you do that - they're very picky about licence stuff.

To be honest, the closest there is to a driver pack is one of the many Linux distributions. They have a good track of supporting everything out of the box nowadays. Though it's kinda useless if you need Windows.

I think you're being a bit optimistic, frankly. Besides, if oodles of drivers you don't need are installed along with the ones you do, that sounds to me like it'll slow down your machine a LOT.
bukaida
I am trying to fit it in a bootable DVD not CD. If it can be slip streamed then during fresh install, it will install only those drivers related to that machine's h/w , not everything. This concept is already applied by various persons(like Amit Talkin).For security reason I cannot post the link.
The driverpack is already available at Driver pack home.
Studio Madcrow
I can't remember what its called but there was a tool that allowed the building of custom ISO images that added extra drivers and even extra programs. I remember using it to build a custom Win2000 image that had all my system's drivers already included plus OpenOffice and Firefox. It DID all fit on one CD, but I can't remember the name of the tool I used.
bukaida
Nlite can be used to slipstream in general, but somehow it is not working with driverpack.
funky_programmer
Maybe you could try the new nLite. If I'm not mistaken, it can slipstream drivers too now.
A week ago, I've built a XP CD with SP3, IE7, and WMP11 integrated in it using nLite.
I think that there is an option to slipstream driver. CMIIW.
froginabox
Check Google, there are many sites with good guides on how to slipstream. If you're doing Windows service packs this can be done from a command prompt, no software needed. nLite might also do what you want.
Studio Madcrow
funky_programmer wrote:
Maybe you could try the new nLite. If I'm not mistaken, it can slipstream drivers too now.
A week ago, I've built a XP CD with SP3, IE7, and WMP11 integrated in it using nLite.
I think that there is an option to slipstream driver. CMIIW.

Thanks for the reminder. It WAS nLite that I was thinking of.
aningbo
this is new to me. thanx for the info guys

but why do u wanna do like this.... isnt it a waste of time? i mean how many times will u format ur system? not every week i suppose. unless u r working for a firm which has the same system everywhere. boring job Smile
coreymanshack
You also might want to take a loot at windows pe.
Studio Madcrow
coreymanshack wrote:

I wouldn't really reccomend that. AFAIK, Windows PE is more of a system for making LiveCDs than for creating custom install disks.
Studio Madcrow
coreymanshack wrote:

I wouldn't really reccomend that. AFAIK, Windows PE is more of a system for making LiveCDs than for creating custom install disks.