FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Short Film Ideas

LostOverThere
I'm going to cut straight to the point. I'm into writing and directing short films, about 10 minutes long in length however at the moment I'm out of ideas. Thankfully, for me all I ever need is quick, short ideas to prompt me to write something.

For instance, you might say " A boy who is afraid of water goes after a man eating shark", and so forth.

So if anyone has any ideas, posting them would be incredibly helpful for myself.

Sorry for being sketchy on the details.
sana618
LostOverThere wrote:
I'm going to cut straight to the point. I'm into writing and directing short films, about 10 minutes long in length however at the moment I'm out of ideas. Thankfully, for me all I ever need is quick, short ideas to prompt me to write something.

For instance, you might say " A boy who is afraid of water goes after a man eating shark", and so forth.

So if anyone has any ideas, posting them would be incredibly helpful for myself.

Sorry for being sketchy on the details.

well if you need something short and quick ideas for only 10 minutes don't you thing that the concept of writing about a boy who is afraid of water going after a man eating shark is a bit difficult 2 explain in such a short time.
short films are i think based closer to the truth or to be more precise closer to the life incidents
such as talking about an accident on the road or some thing like that.

here is some thing which i saw with my own eyes and also know how the family's problems that they faced later on.
there was a truck driver(an expatriate) who had an accident(i don't know the details of the accident), he was injured very badly, brain damage, lost an eye, and was (still is) in coma for nearly a year. his family in a different country were unable to reach him because they could not afford to come to this country, they had to depend on relatives and the office of that man to give them the news of that driver, he was the only earning person in the family.
the office was kind enough to look after that driver and all the medical expanses and also send some money for the family. the relatives were also trying to help them but there is a limit to every one's help. the office is trying to send back this person to his country where his family can look after him.....
but here is the cliche..... his family is refusing to take him back and their excuse is that they can't afford his medical bills....

do you think this is ok for your 10. minutes film
Magicman
Short film ideas can be very hard to come up with. You can always try looking at the topics for the contests on http://filmfights.com/ for some good ideas. Sorry I can't come up with any good ideas for you at the moment.
LostOverThere
Thanks to both of you. I agree with Magicman, I have no problem coming up with lengthy ideas, but ideas for short films always stump me as you have to tell a story in such a small space of time. So there's not much room for a large amount of character development or big location changes. Never the less, there's something very captivating about good short films. The way they can make you feel something in under 10 minutes never ceases to amaze me.
guissmo
Why not a world where everyone lost their sense of humor except one person. Smile)
organicarts
I actually think you could turn this into a 10min short film, but you'd really have to get to the problem quick! Perhaps we could start with the boy in the middle of going after the man/shark and end with a twist. There's a cool site that actually offers to come up with ideas for you www.shortfilmidea.com Anyway, good luck
shopperpk
As we have made our final year project so I was thinking of making a short film or a kind of ad in which we can show our project and our members as a company owner and people selling a survilance car to that company. Is it a good idea or anything we can add to make it better.
Parkour_Jarrod
Well I seem t be in the same pickle jar... I have multiple ideas for lengthy films but I am unable to think of any short films, though as I do know you I would just like to state that when I am in Brisbane again (in Sydney now) I would love to help and be a part of your team in making a somewhat feature length film.
Anadisooza
I think you need to join any reputed film making institute. They give the best environment for short film making .
ideaman
I have this article with few ideas posted..also many more ideas are in my head i just dont have time to writte more articles so i hope this will help for now

http://www.thenecessarytheatre.org/find-inspiration-for-great-short-film-ideas/
Joejackson
Ok This guy wakes up and worries he's God because the things he says
come true all day and He reads his Bible all day but finally that evening
He sees that in the Crucifiction the Bible says no bones will be broken.He
had been hit by a car the year previously and broken ribs in the accident
So he concluded He was not God the Son He further concluded he must be the Holy
Ghost because God the Father Almighty is described as speaking a number
of languages.Then he goes back to sleep and wakes up again to the alarm
where in he is well oriented as a used car salesman with several telephone leads
to work before lunch.
kaysch
The first thing that came to my mind is the Laurel & Hardy short films. Each one was like 20 min which is still OK for being short.
So how about slapstick but transferred with modern technology?
Custard pies flying around, creamy cakes put into people's faces, man falls over banana etc etc.
But make the whole thing an art thing. Use different music than ragtime (some horror-style organ stuff?), different colours than black and white (green? pink? purple?). Not sure. The idea is to use classic humour stuff but experiment a little with it and transform it into a piece of art.