You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Range Hood Grease Filters - seeking cleaning suggestions

I am seeking suggestions for the best (most environmentally safe) way to clean range hood grease filters. Mine is so clogged with grease, I do not want to use harsh chemicals to clean it. I heard that C.L.R. is good, but it very toxic to use. Other products include ammonia. Another product I want to avoid.

I saw a show years ago where the host dipped the filter in a bowl with a liquid and he explained that it was environmentally safe to use and is inexpensive. However, I cannot recall what he used.

If you have any suggestions/links to accomplish the cleaning without harm to the environment and with readily accessible ingredients, it would help me.

I know that there will be people who suggest simply replacing with a new one. It is the easy way out, but also not environmentally good. Why add to our landfills when the current one can be cleaned and used.

Back when I worked at a restaurant, we always just cleaned them with very hot water and steam...
(In the industrial dish-washer.)

Either run some boiling water over them while scrubbing with a brush, or just put them in the dishwasher for several cycles.

You could also wash them with a pressure-washer if they are extremely dirty.
I am happy to see someone making an effort to be "green". First, try just soaking the screen in very hot water. If that does not work, use an environmentally friendly degreaser like "Simple Green". Just remember to rinse throughly before reinstalling no matter what cleaner you use as this screen is above food you are preparing.
Anything around the range is difficult to clean. Last time I cleaned it I used something called Simple Green. Simple Green is non-toxic and biodegradable. I still needed to use a lot of effort and scrubbing but I got it pretty clean.
Well grease filters are made to put into the dishwasher if you have one, and they should come out sparkling clean. If you don't have one then you can just use super hot water and detergent, or a solvent like simple green, there are also a lot of really good safe citrus cleaners/solvents out there that would work well. I install appliances and we always tell people to just throw them in their dishwasher so I'd give that a try first.