FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you play in a band?

rockstar
There seems so be quite a few musicians on here. What instrument do you play? What type of music do you play? Original material? Covers?

I play guitar in an original heavy rock band, called The Divide

This is my band www.divide-online.co.uk also at www.myspace.com/thedividerocks
tchaunt
I don't play in a money-making band, but I do play in my school's concert band. I play the Alto Saxophone and I am the top of my class. As you could probably guess, we play material from other people. XD
[FuN]goku
I played flute in concert band for 7 years, but, when i hit high school, I got kicked out of the band, it was a different instructor, and he tried to sign me up for something I didn't wanna do, and I didn't show up performance day. Was kind of amusing when gave me this whole lecture on it but.. meh.. I wasn't really listening to anything he said, cuz I didn't like him. 7 of my friends have actually dropped out of the school band, because the don't like him AT ALL, and all of these people were in band for 5+ years.
It was kind of sad for me to drop out, cuz with my old instructor i enjoyed lessons and whatnot but.. Oh well.

Anyways thats the concert band part, right now, I'm not currently in a band, however, I'm looking to join a Screamo/Metal band and do vocals and possibly bass. I haven't played much bass but I'm a fast learner and am willing, and I know a bit of guitar already, and I'm very good at playing-by-ear.
But mainly I'm looking to do harsh vocals Smile
Sphaerenkern
I play western guitar. I like to sing and play rhythm guitar, but I don't have a steady band. Some friends do, though, so I meet them at their rehearsal room and play with them a few hours sometimes. We play both covers and own songs - songs from their band and songs I wrote. And sometimes we're jamming and writing new songs, too.
David_Pardy
I play drums.

I'm currently in a rock/indie sort of band, it's good fun and experimental enough for me to start pushing my boundaries and come up with new ideas Smile.

I'm trying to get a fusion/prog/thrash metal band started as well.
ftv_flung
I'm in a Jazz/Fusion/Rhythm & Blues band with some friends from my junior school. :O

2 keys (1 is me)
Guitar
Bass
Drums
Vox on the way!!

We've played a few gigs, and just looooove jamming.
rockstar
There seems to be lots of people that play (or at least talk about) guitar on here, but so few people actally play in a band? I can belive that everyone just plays in their bedroom.
Come on! Don't be shy!
Ankhanu
I play in a three piece rock band playing primarily originals, called This is a Blackout! I'm the bassist. We just recorded some basement demos that we'll hopefully have mixed soon.

http://myspace.com/thisisablackout
http://www.facebook.com/pages/This-is-a-Blackout/#/pages/This-is-a-Blackout/12820499793?ref=ts
rockstar
Well done Ankhanu! I listened to your tracks. I don't think that the recordings really do your material justice.
Ankhanu
Thanks. We're not that good, but we are playing/creating music, which is what matters. When you're not looking to have a career in music, the fun is more important than the quality Wink I'd like to re-record the ones that are posted, but time constraints won't allow that. The rest, hopefully will be finished before our next show on the 13th... then they'll be posted too.
tony
I used to be in an indie electronic band. but no more Sad had to drop it to make time for other things. maybe again some day.....
rockstar
Thats a shame Tony. I've just become a parent myself. I know how hard it is to make time for my music, but I'm not ready to give up just yet!
tamilparks
i just started learning now only, so i will be pick it up very sooon..
Ankhanu
Parenthood slows things down a bit, but you should be able to take a couple hours a week for jamming... maybe not for the first few weeks or months, but once you and your partner get into the groove of things Smile (I have a 6 y/o)

Just be sure to take some time out of your day to play some music on your own. It'll be good for you, and perhaps help instill a sense of respect for music in the baby.
rockstar
I'm still playing Ankhanu. We have a couple of gigs a month and we practice once a week. My "day job" is as a live sound engineer and my girlfriend is also a musician who plays flute and piano to a high standard. She also makes electronic "chill out" music (whatever that is! lol). There's every hope that baby Georgia will also be musical too.
bananamuffin3
Hey I might i just need a good band mates and a good band name
I am the Pig Squeal or the vocalist.
I thought of the name Jolly Cadaver.
rockstar
I think " Banana Muffin" is a good name, myself! LOL!
ortie10
Im in a band that plays original music and I play guitar and sing. Bands called Blitz Brewjo at www.blitzbrewjo.co.cc or at www.myspace.com/cataclysm2012
SpellcasterDX
Well not a rock band or anything like that. lol.

But I am in my school's concert band. I play trumpet. I'm fairly good if I do say so myself. I'm second chair.
rockstar
Second Chair? I thought you said that you played trumpet, Spellcaster! lol!
rockstar
ortie10 wrote:
Im in a band that plays original music and I play guitar and sing. Bands called Blitz Brewjo at www.blitzbrewjo.co.cc or at www.myspace.com/cataclysm2012

I checked your myspace page, ortie. Big sound!!
agustin
I used to. Not any more.
ortie10
Thanks for the comp, I will be a bit more active on here soon just been really busy lately. One day I'm going to the U.K. to party, I heard they have good tea lol.
Ankhanu
There are a bunch of mistakes and there are tonal limitations due to the mics we had, but, here's the other tracks on our (This is a Blackout!) 6-track EP:
http://ankhanupress/blackout/blackout
SpellcasterDX
rockstar wrote:

Yea, there's like 12 trumpets, and 1st chair is the best, 12th is, well, not the best. lol.
rockstar
SpellcasterDX wrote:
rockstar wrote:

Yea, there's like 12 trumpets, and 1st chair is the best, 12th is, well, not the best. lol.

Ah, I see, Spellcaster. I suppose it makes sense really.
rockstar
ortie10 wrote:
Thanks for the comp, I will be a bit more active on here soon just been really busy lately. One day I'm going to the U.K. to party, I heard they have good tea lol.

No prob, Ortie. I don't do the tea thing myself, but I like the odd JD or two Wink
rockstar
The Divide are currently in the process of mixing a new album. We spent a couple of weeks in the studio tracking and stated mixing there, but we were unhappy with the sound, so myself and the bass player are trawling through 15 songs (some of which use 30 channels!) a couple of evenings a week, every week, to get it finished.
So far we have only one finished....only another 14 to go! It does sound really good tho.
All our previous tracks were done completly at home with whatever mics we had, on to a hard disc recorder and then mixed on Cubase.
SpellcasterDX
rockstar wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:
rockstar wrote:

Ah, I see, Spellcaster. I suppose it makes sense really.
Yup. But I kind of want to get into playing the guitar. There's a few songs with some real nice riffs in them.
ortie10
I wasn't talking about the tea that you drink hehe. Good luck in the studio let me know when you guys have a new song up too.
Parkour_Jarrod
Yeah im in a band we're called "Simply No" for more info go here http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-104031.html#865704

P.S. yay I'm a frihoster now not Junior!
rockstar
ortie10 wrote:
I wasn't talking about the tea that you drink hehe. Good luck in the studio let me know when you guys have a new song up too.

Will do Ortie
ortie10
"Correction" That was supposed to be the tea that you dont drink, Darn musicians can't get things right the first time around! Rolling Eyes
ortie10
It gets even stranger! As soon as I posted my last reply Bon Jovi came on the local news station. Man oh man this is to strange for me! Question
ortie10
No more tea for me! That last post was meant to go in the what song would you play at your funeral forum. Confused
rockstar
ortie10 wrote:

As you wish........ New song posted. Its not finished, more me having a play with mastering software and getting my head around it, with a mix that is almost there.

Howie
Joanne
I'm a frustrated drummer.
I've always wanted to be able to play the drums...
So far playing with it was as far as I got, but making real music out of it?
Pfft.. That's another story.

Though yes, I used to be a band member.
I was a lead vocalist back when I was in college.
And boy, werent those nights awesome!

^_^
sandmanxyz
yeah , ive got a band here in Spain www.myspace.com/bleedspace When dont have too much time with work and all the stuff, but we enjoy it a lot! Laughing
rockstar
sandmanxyz wrote:
yeah , ive got a band here in Spain www.myspace.com/bleedspace When dont have too much time with work and all the stuff, but we enjoy it a lot! Laughing

There some good stuff on there. The production on two of the songs is very good.
rockstar
Not bad going. The new song has had 179 plays in just over two weeks.....
Its been remixed and we've added some bits too. Will post the finished article up when its done.

http://www.myspace.com/thedividerocks