FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Writing a book (stages)

slashnburn99
Hi Ive spent two years researching knowledge for my book, i have all the information collated to hand

Basically, i am ready to start writing it on the PC using Word (are there better programs)

its about 150 pages, 8 chapters

Any tips before i start realise ive started wrong and have to do it again!
georgeodowd
I think, even if you decide to write to your own timeline, the National Novel Writing Month website (www.nanowrimo.org) has some of the best advice for how to get through writing a novel. In particular: get the whole thing out on paper before you ever start editing! Nothing ruins the creative process like nit-picking before you've finished a first draft.

Word is an OK programme to write in. I do all my writing via Google docs just for the mobility - I need to have quick and reliable access to my stories from at least four different computers and carrying around a thumb drive just doesn't do it for me. Be warned, however, that Google docs is not as polished as Word or other packaged products...
As much as I hate the Microsoft user interface, Google docs is not much of an improvement, and I've had some scares with revisions not saving and whatnot.
slashnburn99
Thanks georgeodowd

never heard of Google docs

On my way to look now
ddukki
Unless you're writing historical fiction or something based in a totally non-fiction world, I don't think you need to worry about the tiny details. If someone off the street can read it and believe it, even for the moment that they read it, it's not too big of a deal. Even crazy scientific fallacies can be overlooked. Hell, look at Dan Brown [not a bash on him. Just that everyone knows him and that his books are slightly off in a historical sense].
georgeodowd
ddukki wrote:
Unless you're writing historical fiction or something based in a totally non-fiction world, I don't think you need to worry about the tiny details. If someone off the street can read it and believe it, even for the moment that they read it, it's not too big of a deal. Even crazy scientific fallacies can be overlooked. Hell, look at Dan Brown [not a bash on him. Just that everyone knows him and that his books are slightly off in a historical sense].

I find that researching a writing project is a confirmation of my interest in the subject, and hence hopefully an indicator that I have some hope of finishing the project. At the end of the day, however, it depends on what it takes to make you proud of what you've done. If you can live with writing a story that doesn't completely jive with reality, go for it. If, however, it's always going to irk you that you took shortcuts, spend the extra time getting the details right.
PennyLane
Just write till your story is completely finished. Then you can edit as much as you want. Otherwise you lose time with rewriting... And this blocks your creativity...
blk3
You can use Word or just plain Notepad, what will matter most is the content. It's great of you to write your own book. Maybe you shouldn't worry much about getting facts completely right as most writers tend to write fiction.
tdezellem
Writing a novel is so much more than doing research and getting facts straight. While those things are important, it is equally important to understand that a great novel comes from character development. The best way for this to happen is to not force your characters to do things nor force the story to follow your original plan or outline. Stories can often take surprising turns that the author never planned on and that usually happens when a character simply takes on a life of it's own. I know that probably sounds crazy but characters are not believable if you don't breathe life into them. The 150 page block is very common to writers, and it usually happens when you are not feeling your story. The best way to feel it is to not force it and getting caught up in minute details about factual information concering this that and the other gets in the way of character development. Once you have completed your tale it is easy enough to check facts during the editing process. Don't get caught up in describing every little thing. (ie one common mistake I see is constant detail about what a character is wearing.
Bluedoll
Write on!. . . by Bluedoll

As with anything, choosing a computer program that is right for us will depend on two things. What our needs are and what we are comfortable with. Personally, I’ve been using Microsoft word so long now that I want to continue using it. It suits my needs. There are many programs out there for grammar, spelling, formatting and sentence structure. Things for example, like dictionary, I should be upgrading. Spelling is a weakness for me and I use spell check and it is exclusively American. It should be Canadian (British spelling) for my heritage but I tend to work around that.

If you are willing to research a little sashnburn99 you will find many book creating programs out there but I think using MSWord is just fine. Your last comment “Any tips before I start realize ive started wrong and have to do it again”, does say something that perhaps goes beyond computer software.

Tip: There are several stages to writing, research, outline (a plan varies from writer to writer, it can be anything from well structured or simply sitting in a writers head somewhere ), rough draft and revision, right?

We know as writers we sometimes have to draw the line on the number of rewrites and settle for what we have accomplished at some point. We can use the option to use outside resources for our work but if we do everything from start to finish ourselves, I would say we can not know something is wrong until we actually have done it and then we will need to start a fresh, in order to perfect our craft.