FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 64 Bit issues

weableandbob
Today I downloaded the 64 bit windows 7 beta, knowing that I had a 64 bit processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+), but when I used the microsoft virtual machine program, it loaded the iso image and gave me an error saying I didn't have a 64 bit processor. Is this a fault on my part or just a programming error made by microsoft?
mOrpheuS
weableandbob wrote:
Today I downloaded the 64 bit windows 7 beta, knowing that I had a 64 bit processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+), but when I used the microsoft virtual machine program, it loaded the iso image and gave me an error saying I didn't have a 64 bit processor. Is this a fault on my part or just a programming error made by microsoft?

Microsoft Virtual PC doesn't support x64 emulation.
Even though you have 64-bit hardware, and even if you are running a 64-bit operating system, the virtual machine will only emulate a x86 (32-bit) hardware - capable of running only a 32-bit operating system.

Infact, none of the free virtualization software available allows 64-bit emulation.

VMWare workstation allows 64-bit emulation even over 32-bit host operating system, but it's not free.

You'll need to either -
a) install the 64-bit OS directly on your computer (not a virtual machine) - you can always safely dual boot.
b) get VMWare workstation to allow you to install 64-bit Windows 7 in a virtual machine.
c) download and install the 32-bit version of Windows 7 instead.

edit - Apparently, there IS a free virtualization software that now supports 64 bit emulation - VirtualBox. You should try it out.
snowynight
mOrpheuS wrote:
weableandbob wrote:

Even though you have 64-bit hardware, and even if you are running a 64-bit operating system, the virtual machine will only emulate a x86 (32-bit) hardware - capable of running only a 32-bit operating system.

Infact, none of the free virtualization software available allows 64-bit emulation.

VMWare workstation allows 64-bit emulation even over 32-bit host operating system, but it's not free.

You'll need to either -
a) install the 64-bit OS directly on your computer (not a virtual machine) - you can always safely dual boot.
b) get VMWare workstation to allow you to install 64-bit Windows 7 in a virtual machine.

You are right.
vpc never allows the emulation of x64 pses.
The direct installation of a 64 bit windows 7 will be the best choice.

Anyway the win 7 is really good and it deserves your installation.

Seldom are there problems with win 7. sure.
misterXY
mOrpheuS wrote:
weableandbob wrote:

You'll need to either -

edit - Apparently, there IS a free virtualization software that now supports 64 bit emulation - VirtualBox. You should try it out.

As l was reading the issue, first thing came too my head, but wasn't sure.
Starrfoxx
If you have room on your hard drive, you might want to install Windows 7 64 bit on a separate partition. I've been debating about doing that myself.
misterXY
Starrfoxx wrote:
If you have room on your hard drive, you might want to install Windows 7 64 bit on a separate partition. I've been debating about doing that myself.

And the price of SATA drives dropped dramatically, only 50 GB is needed for just trying out W7, yes you can use less or more, but that's what l'm doing on my HP Pav laptop, a little harder to upgrade HDD.
mOrpheuS
misterXY wrote:
only 50 GB is needed for just trying out W7, yes you can use less or more

Windows 7 will install on a partition with about 6 GB of free space.
Recommended free space for installation is 16 GB, which will allow creation of the pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys on the same partition.

Suggesting 50GB might put off people who might otherwise be willing to try it out ... 20GB is a better figure Wink
ThePolemistis
Does anyone know where I can download (from a credible site) the 64bit version of Windows 7 Beta? Unfortuanetly, the Microsoft website shut it down a few days back. I have the key as you can still get the keys even now.
hunnyhiteshseth
weableandbob wrote:

Since you have already figured out how to do it, let me go a little tangential here. I think since Windows 7 is in beta, so it must not be optimized yet. So, will it be able to run in a virtual machine realistically?
By now you must have installed it & tested it. So, please tell us your reviews on how it functioned under virtual machine?