FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My first cover! (photography)

bjwok
Hey folks,

Been shooting for Rip It Up Magazine since July last year and have just recently done my first (ever) cover shoot!

I directed the shoot (as well as take it, obviously), and I also supplied shots "as is" and "art processed" versions. The art processed one was the one that was used!

The idea was 6 bands that are set to make it big this year. 1 member from each band was invited to the shoot. The bands were:

The Waterslides
Fire! Santa Rosa, Fire!
Lumonics
The Shiny Brights
Antony Of The Future
The Vampirates

Here it is:

thoughts?
deanhills
Congrats! Excellent photo, fantastic work .... Applause
bjwok
thanks buddy Smile
quex
Nice! Did you process digitally?
bjwok
yeah man, using lightroom for the majority of the work, then final curves/levels/sharpen in photoshop
quex
It came out well. Personal preference, I'd have left/pushed more blue into the sky and brought the orange/browns in the figures out a liiittle more, just to emphasize the range from high to low, BUT I AM NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER, so my opinion doesn't matter. XD

PS: Back and center, black shirt; he's HOT. Did you get any good solo shots of him? *giggle*
lethaltriad
Nice shot, looks very smooth and your the king of lightroom Very Happy I need to try my hand more at lightroom these days to ease the workflow.. just been using the DPP and CS3 combo for my pics> love how the skintones look from the DPP conversions.
bjwok
lightroom is awesome for me as i try to do all my post on the raw file, that way i can export to tiff (for printing) or jpg (for web) and i always can go back to the unprocessed version too.

hey quex that is antony from antony of the future:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=un4wt-bqATE

he's the looker!
quex
bjwok wrote:

hey quex that is antony from antony of the future:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=un4wt-bqATE

he's the looker!

XD Thank you veeeeeeery much~! *clicky clicky*
bjwok
haha! yeah he is quite the looker apparently!!
flyfamilyguy
Very good post production! I would be very interested in seeing the 'Before' shot. (easier to judge that way)
bjwok
thanks man, well if we could post images here (hint hint! frih people!!) i would happily post the before shot, but as it is right now i don't think i will be hosting the before shot on my web server any time soon!
flyfamilyguy
bjwok wrote:
thanks man, well if we could post images here (hint hint! frih people!!) i would happily post the before shot, but as it is right now i don't think i will be hosting the before shot on my web server any time soon!

What do you mean? You have already posted an image. Why not another one? This is your thread after all.
shkhanal
Its lovely and looks professional!
bjwok
no, these images are hosted on my site and hotlinked to here. what i am saying is that i don't want to host the before image on my site, but if we could upload them here to the frih servers then i would do that.

thanks Smile
ParsaAkbari

I would certainly class that as a professional standard well done to you!
bjwok
thanks buddy! well i consider myself a professional so thank you! Smile
michaeljscott93
An awesome shot with a great composition!!!
bjwok
thanks man Smile
Parkour_Jarrod
You truely are brilliant behind the camera, just wondering what camera you use and do you have any tips for a wannabe photographer?
bjwok
hey man, thanks very much!

i have a canon 5D. i have two lenses: 24-70 f/2.8 L and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS

this combination gets me through most scenarios, although i am about to shoot my first nightclub gig and will probably want to add a wider lens to my lineup for that soon i think.

a tip for the wannabe photographer? shoot as much as you can then join the POTN forums http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php and post your results for constructive feedback. it's the best way to learn Smile
Parkour_Jarrod
Okay thanks for the tips Very Happy
bjwok
no worries man, and when you get on POTN let me know your user name, would love to see your work and offer some tips along the way. Smile
pmehta51
Nice work. I am not a photographer. Don't know how to do it myself. But always enjoy good work. And I rally liked your work. Great job
jsfdan
Wow that is a very nice artwork cover.
bjwok
thanks guys Smile
Parkour_Jarrod
Hey i finally got out and took some shots like you said but i didnt upload them to the site that you recommended instead i uploaded them to my own site here could you tell me what you think and if i can improve/ are they bad Surprised well thanks if you look Very Happy
bjwok
page not found man, re-check the link? Smile
Parkour_Jarrod
Hmm try This
keane
Looks great! Keep it up!
bjwok
thats better man! nice use of the slimbox too Smile

hey why don't you use the frihosting and get rid of all those google ads?
standready
Congrats!
Parkour_Jarrod
bjwok wrote:
thats better man! nice use of the slimbox too Smile

hey why don't you use the frihosting and get rid of all those google ads?

i do use frihosting i put the google ads there myself, i get money for when people click on them. for more info click here
bjwok
fair enough! pretty annoying though. and it takes away from the integrity of your site (my thoughts only)
kalliewalker
Nice! I like the color processing!
wellerchap
congratulations....that's something to be very proud of. I hope it's the first of many for you.
la_Duchess
Very Nice. Good for you!
bjwok
thanks guys Smile
pho3nixsky
Thats pretty ownage nice job, keep it up Wink
bjwok
that's pretty bad english, but i get your point. thanks man Smile