FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Zen of Screaming - My Review

[FuN]goku
Okay, so for anyone who likes harsh vocals, or anyone who actually DOES harsh/screamo vocals,
I recommend you checking out this DVD called The Zen of Screaming. Theres ZoS 1 and then a ZoS 2.
I recently got a copy of each, and I've watched the first, and a bit of the second.

I must say, it's a good instructional video on screaming for anyone who is new to it. If you want to
do those kind of vocals without hurting yourself, this is useful. Before I watched the DVD, and I tried to do Children of Bodom vocal covers, I could get it to sound like it, but afterwards i'd be hoarse, and probably have a sore throat for the next 2 days.

The video shows you how you can do JUST as powerful vocals, without hurting your voice, and the person who does these videos is a woman named Melissa Cross.

The Zen of Screaming 1 , is mostly just the basics of screaming, but it should be enough for playing in a band, but if you wanna get into the more advanced stuff, try getting into the Zen of Screaming 2.
The first video comes with a warmup CD with vocal exercises.

Also , in the videos you get to see alot of bands that have had vocal lessons from her, to name a few,
Lamb of God, All That Remains, Shadows Fall, Unearth.

Anyways thats just my little rant on the videos. It's one of those things you just gotta see for yourself Razz

But I'd say this earns a 5/5 in my book, mostly for the fact that it's one of the only instructional screaming videos (to my knowledge) that will teach you how to do it properly.

Uh, not sure what else to say about it, but it's definitely worth checking out for anyone interested in metal/screamo vocals.