FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

plane crash on the Hudson

TurtleShell
If you've turned on the television recently at all, you know that today a plane made a crash landing in the Hudson (which is NOT a river but a title estuary), on the west side of Manhattan. All 155 passengers survived.

While it's not the first time that a plane has crashed and people have survived, it does capture the imagination. If you're in a plane, crashing, and you think you're going to die, what are you thinking right then? Who (or what) are your first thoughts of? How do you react?
truespeed
A guy called Michael Holmes had a parachute malfunction and fell 4500 feet to what he thought was a certain death,it was all filmed by his helmet cam,the only thing he could say on the way down to what he thought was death was "Oh, ****! I'm dead. Bye"

See Video

Obviously he was different to plane crash victims in that he was trying to save his life,so all his thoughts and energy were focused on that,im not sure what would go though your head on a plane heading to crash,maybe Michael Holmes summed it up with his "Oh, ****! I'm dead. Bye" maybe thats all that actually goes through your head in those few seconds between knowing the planes going to crash and it actually crashing.
deanhills
I have never been in a plane crash. I have been in a car crash, and it happened so fast, in a split second almost. I was crossing a road and something was holding me back. The traffic light was in my favour, but I felt something, and that must have saved me. There was a car that came through red traffic lights. He came very fast and it was difficult to have seen him in advance as he was coming down a very steep hill, and at a terrific speed. He had been under the influence of drugs. If he had hit my car in a different way I would have been dead. My car was completely written off, and by the intensity of the impact people thought I must have been dead, but I got out of the car, and the relief was amazing!

Anyway, back to the thread. I do a lot of air travel, especially lately, and have always imagined that if anything should happen, since we are so very vulnerable up there in the sky, that it would be much of the same. Very very fast. I can't imagine that one would have time to think about it when it is really a crisis. So if there are problems up in the sky, such as turbulence, and you do have time to think, that it cannot be that bad, as you have time to think. If you did not have time, you would have been already dead?
Agent ME
I haven't looked too much into the news articles about this, but I always wondered - if a plane crashes/lands in the water, does it float? Do they have inflatable rafts or is everyone supposed to just get out and float next to the plane or get on top of it?
deanhills
Agent ME wrote:
I haven't looked too much into the news articles about this, but I always wondered - if a plane crashes/lands in the water, does it float? Do they have inflatable rafts or is everyone supposed to just get out and float next to the plane or get on top of it?

Probably better not to think about it, but if you do travel it may be a good idea to listen to the safety presentation they give you about the inflatable lifejackets that are kept under the seats. There is also a pamphlet in the magazine pocket in front of you. Perhaps a good idea to know how it works. I always think that in the big aircraft I fly with usually, that if we are going to get to that, possibly we would not need any of the equipment. We would be history. I doubt the plane has been constructed to float in this kind of emergency, it may float for a little while, but eventually will sink of course. I would imagine that it would have some broken parts to it. Not nice to imagine though Smile Rather think about the statistics of passenger planes like that crashing into water, and that it happens very rarely, and that chances are almost 100% that you will be OK.
deanhills
Wow, Bloomberg really knows how to say THANK YOU with impact! FAST!!!! Really a good show on TV, but probably everyone deserved the thank yous. The emergency staff are obviously trained to the hilt. It is true what the commentator said, that we probably will now attach a new meaning to the instructions about our life jackets. Awesome that everyone could be rescued. Feel sorry however for the one person with two broken legs. Will be an interesting learning exercise now of the care that has been taken with all the baggage on the plane. No doubt all will be closely reported on. Don't think it is the end however.
Fatality
I don't know. Its hard to say until you're actually in that situation. We can plan and predict all we want, but you never really know what you'll do until it happens. With that being said, I think I would be thinking of my family and how much they'd miss me and most definitely be thinking about where I would be going after I died. I'm sure another idea that would cross my mind would be "do I die painlessly or is horrible agony. I'm not too afraid of death, but how I might go out. Its really hard to think of what one might do.

Very valid question though.
watersoul
First I've gotta say how amazing that no-one died, it's almost a miracle story and made me smile with relief for everyone involved Smile

I was on a 747 a few years ago coming back to the UK when the pilot announced that the wheel brakes had malfunctioned and as the destination airport wasn't long enough to stop with engines alone, we would be landing elsewhere.

Instantly people were scared and upset etc but I kind of thought, well, its out of my control so run with it and see what happens because panic wouldnt really help me.

Anyway, we got to the new destination and the pilot circled for ages to lose as much fuel as possible (and avoid explosions!) then dropped his speed almost until the engines stalled (it was shaking and shuddering and a little bit scary, and just off the coast a few hundred metre's above the angry looking sea) until he made the final approach with the idea of stopping the plane with air resistance alone! All the time explaining this over the speakers! Fire engines chased us down the runway, people were screaming and crying, and we ended up on the grass after bumping around a lot, but unharmed.

To be honest, the whole thing was a total rush for me and I kind of nervously laughed to myself all the way through it! I don't find funfair rides scary because they're so safe with regulations n stuff...but that was something else - not sure I'd like to try it again though!!! Laughing
Crazy_Canuck
Interesting story watersoul, thanks for sharing!

I would probably be thinking "oh ****, is this how it all ends?".

If I died in a crash, I would just hope it would be fast and that I never really knew what was happening. I'm sure those people yesterday were terrified that they had survived the crash but were going to end up drowning in the wreckage.
watersoul
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

If I died in a crash, I would just hope it would be fast and that I never really knew what was happening. I'm sure those people yesterday were terrified that they had survived the crash but were going to end up drowning in the wreckage.

Ooh yeh, quickly smashed to bits is one thing, but drowning in the wreckage, that'd be really horrible - and I reckon I'd be terrified as well!
ocalhoun
Agent ME wrote:

The plane would float nicely if undamaged, but if the fuselage is broken below the waterline, it'll sink either fast or slow depending on how bad the leak is.

I'm pretty sure that all major commercial airlines equip their planes with flotation devices for their passengers, either rafts or seats that can be detached and float, or self-inflating life vests.
Jaan
probably panic and feel sad at the same time
Magicman
I'm sure it was terrifying to be on that plane. I did hear that the pilot basically did everything right when it comes to landing in water, so his quick thinking and skill in the face of danger probably saved everybody's life.
deanhills
Magicman wrote:
I'm sure it was terrifying to be on that plane. I did hear that the pilot basically did everything right when it comes to landing in water, so his quick thinking and skill in the face of danger probably saved everybody's life.

Would appear as though the pilot did something of a miracle. Much more than right. Also perhaps it was lucky that it had been in New York. New York's emergency services are highly trained. In a way that was a good test for the emergency services too. They were on the spot almost immediately, and helping expertly, they knew what they were doing. The second danger after the plane crash landed, was the cold water and evacuation of the passengers before the plane was sinking. Am curious to know what the findings will be for the reason both engines of the plane stopped. They say that if a plane has problems with birds, that one engine can down, but it is very rare for both to go down at the same time. Another big danger was that the plane must have been full of fuel as well since it had just started its journey. I did not pick up from the news how they dealt with that. Must have been an enormous danger for that to ignite and explode and must add to the miracle of saving all the passengers at the same time.
Insanity
I found it pretty amazing that such a rare occurrence happened. While it is not that uncommon for a bird to get sucked into the jet intake, it's pretty rare to have a whole flock of geese get in the way, forcing the plane to crash land on the river.

I also heard that the pilot was lucky in that there were no ships on the water, but close enough to mount a rescue operation within minutes of the crash landing. Kudos to them.
calahondapark
TurtleShell wrote:
its amazing how the plane landed ....but i suppose it was an a330 so i am not surprised!
calahondapark
lol thats funny!
calahondapark
its quite scary bieng in that situation and all of them survived!!!>>>>>>AMAZING!
Nick2008
The pilot is a hero, this could have been much much worse.

Considering that the engines on an a Airbus A320 are under the wings, the plane could have have just broken apart into 3+ pieces upon entry into the water causing a terrible disaster.

Definitively a heroic, well trained and prepared pilot. Bravo! Very Happy
Bikerman
Indeed. The problems of landing a plane on water are well documented. It seems to me that this pilot did a fantastic job.
miacps
I've never been in a plane crash, but I was in a bad car crash before.

I didn't even see it coming; I was sitting in the back looking out the window when all of a sudden my friend in the passenger seat goes "What the hell is she...". Suddenly, my friend driving slams on the brakes and in less than a second, as I turn my head to see what's going on we go from 40(MPH)-ish to a complete stop. I swear for a few seconds everything was colorless and gray. My first thoughts were "Am I dead?". I couldn't breathe and I spit out some pieces of teeth waiting for my breathe to return. The seat belt screwed me up really badly and I couldn't move around very well for the next 2 weeks. To make matters worse I had to sit around in a shitty hospital until the next morning.

They took x-rays and nothing was broken, but I did end up with a bruised kidney, some minor chips in my teeth and had to go to chiropractor for the next... I don't know how long, maybe 6 months.

My friends car was totaled.

The moral of the story is, if the question "Am I dead?" crosses your mind right after a crash, you're probably not there just yet. Wink
deanhills
I'm totally fascinated with this event. How they actually lifted the plane in the end with all of it in one piece. Just badly scarred at the bottom, but you could still recognize the plane. Wonder what happened to the fuel? Is that still in the plane, or did they pump it, as imagine that takes up a lot of the weight?
ParsaAkbari
If i was going to certain death i would be pretty happy, is there a point not to be? You might as well die smiling...
deanhills
ParsaAkbari wrote:
If i was going to certain death i would be pretty happy, is there a point not to be? You might as well die smiling...

My wish too, but I guess that will pretty much depend on what is happening to you? If we had just crash landed and was surrounded by icy water and it is dark around, well I will probably be calm, but there will be a little prayer going up at the same time. If someone is doing me bodily harm, such as you hear about sometimes, that may also not be conducive of happy thoughts towards the end. Smile
truespeed
ParsaAkbari wrote:

I find that hard to believe.
prithvi
Seen this in the news and read in the papers too.

Clever thinking by the pilot and a good presence of mind there.
silverdown
The pilots really thought well and use his training and experience that he knew to land safety.... COLD.... but they were safe and survived. Hat off to the pilots!
harismushtaq
There are two different things that a person faces while falling in my knwoledge. One is the psycological pressure and the other is physiological. The G-forces make the heart boil out of the body as one can feel on roller coaster ride. Passengers in an aircraft are not stuntmen. Like in the roller coaster, every one is forced to scream. Similarly, when there is a free fall, spin or nose dive involved in a crash, you can imagine all pessengers to be screaming before they hit the ground.

The hodsun river crash is not a crash actually. It is a controlled water ditching. The plane would have glided evenly to the water and did not hit the water with a very high speed otherwise the plane would have broken off so people would be frightened but would not have felt the G-forces that bad. However, at the time of the strike, there would have been a considerable impact wave through the plane but the negative G would have still be less then 4 if not 3.

The nice thing is the calm way pessengers evacuated out of the plane and the nice way, the A320 kept floating on the water.