FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you like your steak cooked?

How do you like you steak cooked?
Raw - Uncooked
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Blue rare or very rare
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Rare
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Medium rare
26%
 26%  [ 15 ]
Medium
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
Medium well done
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Well done
26%
 26%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 57

goutha
Presuming that you are not vegetarian, how do you like you steak cooked?

Here is the description of each option :

Quote:
* Raw - Uncooked. Used in dishes like steak tartare, Carpaccio, Gored gored, tiger meat and Kitfo.
* Blue rare or very rare - (37.8C/100F core temp) Cooked very quickly; the outside is seared, but the inside is usually cool and barely cooked. The steak will be red on the inside and barely warmed. Sometimes asked for as 'blood rare'. In the United States this is also sometimes referred to as 'Black and Blue' or 'Pittsburgh Rare'.
* Rare - (48.9C/120F core temp) The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is red and slightly warm.
* Medium rare - (52.2C/126F degrees core temp) The steak will have a fully red, warm center. Unless specified otherwise, upscale steakhouses will generally cook to at least this level.
* Medium - (57.2C/135F degrees core temp) The middle of the steak is hot and red with pink surrounding the center. The outside is gray-brown.
* Medium well done - (62.8C/145F degrees core temp) The meat is light pink surrounding the center.
* Well done - (73.9C/165F degrees core temp) The meat is gray-brown throughout and slightly charred.
watersoul
Actually did laugh out loud then, I've been a veggie 9 years (long story but in a nutshell had to kill a load of chickens - I never said never though either!) but I totally loved steak and will always know how lovely a medium-rare plateful tastes mmm!

...yep, medium-rare every time for me

Smile
evilgeniuself
I've never been comfortable with rare meat after getting a slight food illness, so I prefer it medium well to well done...
That's just me though...
SpellcasterDX
Medium-well done to Well-Done for me. I hate it when there's even a little bit of pink in it. I like it nicely cooked and slightly charred.
deanhills
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Medium-well done to Well-Done for me. I hate it when there's even a little bit of pink in it. I like it nicely cooked and slightly charred.

Me too, but I cannot remember when I last had steak. I am not anti-meat, but seem to eat vegetarian most of the time. It started when I was in Vancouver, Canada and not being sure where the meat comes from, decided not to have it. That included chicken too. The city is densely populated, and products like that mass produced, and my instincts just told me not to eat it (whether right or wrong). I don't see anything bad in it. Possibly if I get to a place in southern Africa, and I know where I am, and I feel like it, I may have steak, and I would ask for it medium to well cooked. I don't like it charred, but I don't like it too raw either. Just right, tender and juicy.
Josso
Rare most certainly.

Rare and a pint of Guinness Laughing
nigam
id like to cooked it medium well to well done...i don't like to eat if there is still bloody thingy. i hate to see it....i wanted to see it golden brown of course...
fx-trading-education
I think that the habits depends on people but also on the country.
Usually I will ask medium or medium well done because in my opinion it should be at least warm for a "standard" steak. I think that most of the people I know like it medium rare.
Of course I have no problem with a steak tartare but it is a different kind of thing. You either order a tartare and then no problem to eat it cold and totally raw or you order a "standard" steak and in that case for me it has to be fully warm (also inside)
mwsupra
Medium rare for me. I always used to do medium well until I actually tried medium rare! MMmmmmmm
andredesignz
i don't eat steak Mad
Fatality
Medium-rare: I don't want to eat is raw, but like it reddish pink in the middle and full of juicy flavor.
Insanity
Well done steaks are pretty much tasteless, dry, and hard to chew for me. Medium rare steaks are so full of juicy flavor and tenderness. Steaks should not be cooked any other way.
lethaltriad
I pretty much like my steaks medium well done to well done. Love it when its fully cooked, hate seeing it bleed or when its too rare Shocked
Helios
Josso wrote:
Rare most certainly.

Rare and a pint of Guinness Laughing

Exactly!
Medium is also fine though.
Nothing beats a rich piece of fresh red meat Smile
Vladalf
I like it well done. I don't like when it's in blood, it gives me a nausea sensation.
[FuN]goku
Well done for sure... I remember when i was staying with my uncle for a week, he had a bbq and did me a steak that was well done, and then after I finished that one, he insisted I have another, so I took another, but the only ones left were med. rare, and honestly.... I struggled to get it down... like eughh.. It was kinda nasty, mostly cuz It was the first time I'd had a steak cooked like that. In general though, any type of meat I have, I want burnt to hell especially hotdogs if they're on the bbq! Adds a nice smokey flavour Very Happy
hlavco
I like my steak to be rare. It's nice and chewy and juicy that way. Then I put a LOAD of salt and pepper on top, even if whoever made it had already done so. I don't usually use condiments much, but for some reason I love my steak to be really peppery.

(According to Firefox's spell-check, "peppery" is actually a word. I did not know that.)
shkumbin
I like my steak medium rare yummy thread Smile

Regards,
Shkumbin
calahondapark
deanhills wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:

Me too, but I cannot remember when I last had steak. I am not anti-meat, but seem to eat vegetarian most of the time. It started when I was in Vancouver, Canada and not being sure where the meat comes from, decided not to have it. That included chicken too. The city is densely populated, and products like that mass produced, and my instincts just told me not to eat it (whether right or wrong). I don't see anything bad in it. Possibly if I get to a place in southern Africa, and I know where I am, and I feel like it, I may have steak, and I would ask for it medium to well cooked. I don't like it charred, but I don't like it too raw either. Just right, tender and juicy.
calahondapark
fx-trading-education wrote:
I think that the habits depends on people but also on the country.
Usually I will ask medium or medium well done because in my opinion it should be at least warm for a "standard" steak. I think that most of the people I know like it medium rare.
Of course I have no problem with a steak tartare but it is a different kind of thing. You either order a tartare and then no problem to eat it cold and totally raw or you order a "standard" steak and in that case for me it has to be fully warm (also inside)
calahondapark
watersoul wrote:
Actually did laugh out loud then, I've been a veggie 9 years (long story but in a nutshell had to kill a load of chickens - I never said never though either!) but I totally loved steak and will always know how lovely a medium-rare plateful tastes mmm!

...yep, medium-rare every time for me

Smile
Jamatu
Medium/Well done for me- cooked at high temperature so it's well done on the outside and slightly red on the inside.
tchaunt
Nothing is better than medium-rare. When you bight into it, the juices just caress your taste buds.
If you haven't figured out, I freakin' love medium-rare.
Nick2008
I like all meats well done. Not just steak, but including hamburgers, lamb, pork, etc.
Afaceinthematrix
I like my steak medium well. I like the rest of my meats well done. But for the most part, I don't eat a lot of meat. I like meat, but I just don't get around to eating a lot of it. I tend to like a more vegetarian type of diet. I love eating vegetables, beans, rice (I eat a lot of rice), nuts, etc.
Donutey
Well done, partly because I like it that way, and partly because I don't want to get food sick.
standready
Medium-rare! Even a good cut becomes tough when over cooked.
hofodomo01
It differs depending on where you are exactly...sometimes. At a fancy steakhouse, a rare in Chicago will probably be different than a rare in Cincinnati (discovered this personally, to my dismay). Smaller steak I tend to like rare to medium-rare, but larger ones I'll usually take them near well-done. This is because the large steaks tend to cool quickly, and a raw cold slab of meat isn't exactly good.
Arty
Is very rare safe to eat? =o
I usually prefer medium rare...
furtasacra
On the rare occasions when I eat steak, I want it "Pittsburgh" ... sear it on a charcoal grill long enough to seal in the juice and get it hot or at least warm all the way through, and give it to me bleeding. My mother-in-law called me a cannibal after she saw me tear into a nearly-raw steak.
snowynight
Well done. To prevent mad-cow dis Very Happy eases....
PatTheGreat42
Marinade it in Jack Daniel's One Hour easy marinade for 24 HOURS. Then, um, easy rare or something. The Jack Daniel's is, however, key.
caa2
THABK YOU VERY MATCH FOR THIS GOOD IDEA

^^
sw0277
I like my steak cooked well done! I could not eat it if it was bloody or red. Yuck!
andersonic
Medium rare. Bloody but not breathing. Surprised
Triple_7
Medium Well...must have that little bit of pink in the middle. But I'll take any just so it didn't arrive to the table on 4 legs Rolling Eyes
Zombie
I am a vegetarian so I decided not to answer the poll. But my freinds like thiers medium rare.
roxys_art
I like mine with just a little bit of pink (medium well). Easy to get when YOU are cooking the steak; difficult to get any type of consistency when eating out. It seems like you tell your waiter (or waitress) at a restaurant "medium well", and the cooks in a back have a different intepretation everywhere you go.
apple
well done....and then i want it cooked some more Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
ankitdatashn
I dunno what a steak is. I guess its something non-veg item. As I am a vegetarian therefore I dont eat animals.
snowynight
Well-done. I don't love beef with blood.
eday2010
Medium rare, with a nice piece of bread or dinner rol to soak up the juices/blood. On the BBQ is best too.
Ghost900
eday2010 I have never soaked up blood with bread, I have with egg yokes but not juices/blood. Smile

I like my steak well done but not burnt to a crisp Very Happy (A little pink is fine too as long as there is only a little)
Noremac
I like a bit of blood in the middle.

I'd love to go into details of working in a slaughterhouse for 9 months killing 5000 a day, but I can't be bothered.

Oh and if your vegetarian for every animal you don't eat I'll eat three.(In the words of maddox)
jessicawalker
I'm not a big red meat eater (I eat a lot of chicken), but when I do eat it, I do it right. Rare. Juicy, red, and bloody for me. With a nice, cold beer. Mmmm, yes. Laughing
Melacos
Medium for me I guess... Prefer the meat to be hot all the way through, and also not sopping around in it's own red liquids. On the other hand, cooking it too much, takes away the freshness of it I think.
Solon_Poledourus
I only like my steak to be cooked by me. On a grill. Rare. I never eat steak at restaurants or by any other cook than myself. That is one of very few foods that I am extremely particular about.
bigt
nigam wrote:
id like to cooked it medium well to well done...i don't like to eat if there is still bloody thingy. i hate to see it....i wanted to see it golden brown of course...

Ditto. People will argue, but I don't mind medium well or well done. And if I ask for a steak cooked medium I get one that's medium rare. And I get one well done if I ask for medium well, so I can't win Smile I'd rather error on the side of caution, though. I'd always eat steaks well done growing up and they were just fine.
Solon_Poledourus
bigt wrote:
Ditto. People will argue, but I don't mind medium well or well done. And if I ask for a steak cooked medium I get one that's medium rare. And I get one well done if I ask for medium well, so I can't win I'd rather error on the side of caution, though. I'd always eat steaks well done growing up and they were just fine.

Meat actually loses nutrients when you cook it that much. As far as the avoidance of bacteria, overcooking meat is not erring on the safe side, that's a myth. People living in the Arctic/Siberia regions, as well as many tropical dwelling cultures, consume raw meat regularly with no health issues. Killing natural bacteria in meat through the process of cooking prevents us from developing an immunity to it, and has created many allergies in turn. It's actually causes more problems than it solves.
Hereis a table , from the FDA, about nutritional loss due to cooking food. Which is not to say that all food should simply be served raw(as Woody Harrelson so arrogantly claims it should be), but minimal cooking is better for you than overcooking.
Besides, a well done steak is just a sin. Please tell me you don't put ketchup on it too.
Crazy_Canuck
Medium rare, medium rare, medium rare. Yummy!
Dean_The_Great
In my opinion, I will accept any answer for how people like their steak from blue to medium (maybe medium well at a Steakhouse) but anyone who wants a steak well done should consider eating another meat. I don't mean to sound accusatory, but a well done steak has been robbed of its flavouring juices, so you would probably be better served by something like pork which can be cooked intensely and still retain flavour. Or chicken which of course needs to be cooked to a certain temperature or it would be harmful, and it is still incredibly juicy and flavourful.

But a well done steak has lost its moisture, has lost it's tenderness and is barely more than a tough piece of leather. If it's the visual of pink/red in your meat. Try doing a blind taste test... you'll be pleasantly surprised I'm almost sure of it.
sondosia
I love steak medium rare...it has so much flavor. =)
Wolf1918
I guess I'm a barbarian, but I like my meat to bleed when I cut it. I had one person get up and leave the table once when he saw what I was eating, he wasn't a vegetarian, he was just squeemish. And then I have an uncle who likes his meat cooked to the texture of "shoe leather". I think that's criminal to do to a good cut of meat. I also like burgers on the rare side, almost impossible to get at any of the fast food places anymore, even if you request it specially done that way.

My two cents,
Chad
driftingfe3s
My family has a habit it cooking everything to well over well done so that its charred and I hate it. Whenever I'm the one cooking or I eat out I choose medium.
sw0277
`I have to cook my steak well done! If it has the slightest pink or red color to eat it will make me not hungry at all.....
Solon_Poledourus
sw0277 wrote:
`I have to cook my steak well done! If it has the slightest pink or red color to eat it will make me not hungry at all.....

For those of you who have the "disease factor" in mind when stating your preference for a well done steak, let me go ahead and quash that rumor. Unless there is an outbreak of disease amongst the cattle, beef is not plagued by the bacteria which is more common in pork, chicken, etc. When beef is cut into steaks, the only risk of bacteria is on the surface(and that comes from other places, like your hands and your cooking utensils, etc), and as soon as you put that surface over a flame, the threat is gone. The Meat and Livestock Commission of the UK, working with researchers at the University of Nottingham confirmed this through a test. So if it's only food poisoning issues that keep you from eating a more pink-ish steak, go ahead and try a good medium cooked one. I'm sure you'll a much more intense and satifactory flavor and texture.
For those of you who are squeamish about the color, juices, texture, etc., of a more pink steak, there's really nothing I can say to sway your decision. Except that you offend the Great Steak God every time you eat a well done steak.
pll
I always liked my steak medium.
I work in a restaurant and I always cook those steaks. When someone comes and says :

-I'd like to get my steak medium well done... But not too well, just enough.
or if they say something like :
-Medium Rare - with a little bit of blood, or no blood

It gets me mad.
Please people when you want steak in a restaurant always be PRECISE ON WHAT YOU WANT:

Rare
Medium
Well Done

Say nothing else (or the cook could get mad), believe me!
Solon_Poledourus
pll wrote:
Rare
Medium
Well Done

Say nothing else (or the cook could get mad), believe me!

Actually, if you know your way around a good cut of beef, there are 7 distinct grades of doneness. Though most people don't eat the 2 bloodiest stages of Blue(some call it Black and Blue) and Very Rare.
Cooking a proper steak is a dying art form, and too many restaurants don't like to stray away from the 3 grades you mentioned. Food should be regarded with more of a sense of adventure, and you shouldn't get mad when someone tries to specify how they want their food cooked. After all, you do this for a living and they are paying you, right?
Your post is exactly why I don't eat steak at most restaurants.
Ashtray
Medium rare!
carlospro7
I like it well done, but occasionally I like medium rare. I'm not particularly picky, but I got used to choosing between those two.
PennyLane
I eat it saignant... Is that medium rare, or rare?
goutha
PennyLane wrote:
I eat it saignant... Is that medium rare, or rare?

Saigant is blue rare or very rare.
andredesignz
i don't eat steak any at all
Insanity
Medium rare for me. It's about the rarest I am willing to eat it without having to worry too much about food poisoning. Steak well done just tastes leathery and dry; I think it ruins a good steak. Many chefs won't even cook it well done.
Solon_Poledourus
Insanity wrote:
It's about the rarest I am willing to eat it without having to worry too much about food poisoning.

If you do a bit of research, or read some previous posts, the risk of food poisoning from undercooked steak is extremely low. It's higher for ground beef, but all the bacteria on steak would be on the surface(as it hasn't been ground up), and the minute it gets heated, the bacteria dies.
Dollyehs
I'm a vegeterian so i won't it eat, however my Dad loves it medium rare. Very Happy
snowynight
I think I like it well-done sometimes.
missdixy
well done, or even medium well-done. But I just don't want to see ANY pink in it!
ParsaAkbari
I like mine throuoghly cooked.
stel4e
I like it well done... but I don't eat much meat Wink
Solon_Poledourus
missdixy wrote:
well done, or even medium well-done. But I just don't want to see ANY pink in it!

Grrr... and you are from the steak Mecca!
Denvis
Medium =]
crimson_aria
always had it well done. till I tried medium rare.
SyHz
Ofc i want it raw, as everything else i eat Wink
skygaia
In my country, some people like raw one. but I don't .
I like medium one
ortie10
Medium rare seared with juices spewing out if it when I cut into it with my knife, mmmm
rvec
Moved to Health and Beauty
-close-
This move is part of rvec's big general chat cleanup